A little advice please...

Options
Hi,
So is granola healthy? (I usually have it with some 0% fat yogurt and a banana). If so is this a good breakfast to have and does anyone have any healthy UK brands that they would recommend?

Replies

• glasshalffull713
    glasshalffull713 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    It depends on the granola and it depends on your goals. It can be very healthy especially combined with protein like yogurt, as long as it is not full of preservatives and lots of added sugars. Check your ingredients and sugar content. The only problem I find with granola is that it can be very high in calories if you are trying to maintain a deficit.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Healthy is somewhat relative based on your goals/preferences. For example, bread may or may not be considered healthy based on how you feel about refined carbs.

So really, you have to make that decision for yourself.

Speaking REALLY big picture, give yourself a reasonable daily calorie goal including reasonably balanced macros. Then, any food that you can fit into your calories and macros could be seen as healthy.

But to your question... I generally think of granola as healthy, but I have a pretty liberal view on healthy foods. Yogurt and granola can certainly be a good breakfast.
  • flabassmcgee
    flabassmcgee Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I disagree with this way of thinking about food. Healthy, unhealthy, bad, good... Food is food.

You can eat anything and still lose weight, as long as you're in a deficit. You can make granola fit into your macro goals :)
  • Phoebeg1723
    Phoebeg1723 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    You can eat anything and still lose weight. But if you are eating food that is high in sugar and fat, you are setting yourself up for some potentially life threatening health issues. The mantra I use is 'lifestyle not diet'. I'm eating how I plan to eat for the rest of my life so I can be as healthy as possible and live as long as I can.

When it comes to granola, might be an idea to check the nutritional values before buying to see if the have a lot of additives, preservatives etc etc.

Alternatively, make your own at home when you have some spare time. I think it's pretty easy x
  • flabassmcgee
    Options
    You can eat anything and still lose weight. But if you are eating food that is high in sugar and fat, you are setting yourself up for some potentially life threatening health issues. The mantra I use is 'lifestyle not diet'. I'm eating how I plan to eat for the rest of my life so I can be as healthy as possible and live as long as I can.

When it comes to granola, might be an idea to check the nutritional values before buying to see if the have a lot of additives, preservatives etc etc.

Alternatively, make your own at home when you have some spare time. I think it's pretty easy x

No.
  • Phoebeg1723
    Options
    Yes... Diabetes, heart disease etc etc
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    What is "healthy" is relative to your personal goals, calorie allowance and macro targets.
  • flabassmcgee
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Yes... Diabetes, heart disease etc etc

If it's every meal every day, sure, there might be a problem.

If you can't make a little granola fit into your daily macro/calorie goals as part of a nutritional diet, you're doing it wrong. Cutting foods you like simply because they're calorie dense or higher in fat/sugar/carbs/whatever macro isn't a healthy, sustainable way to think about food. Food is fuel. It's not the devil.
  • Phoebeg1723
    Options
    Oh yes lol I'm not saying a little treat is bad. I meant in general, if you're calorie intake is low but your total fat/sugar is through the roof, it's not good.
  • flabassmcgee
    Options
    Oh yes lol I'm not saying a little treat is bad. I meant in general, if you're calorie intake is low but your total fat/sugar is through the roof, it's not good.

You meant well, but your phrasing didn't imply what you said here.

I disagree with fat being held is a negative light too. Fat is satiating. Fat does not make one fat. If my fat goal is over for the day, I'm okay with it.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    But if you are eating food that is high in sugar and fat, you are setting yourself up for some potentially life threatening health issues.

Only if you eat these things in place of nutritionally rich foods. And go over your calorie needs (of course).