protein powder

Options
caddir
caddir Posts: 150 Member
Can someone please tell me the advantages and disadvantages of using this ?

Replies

• Phoenix_Down
    Phoenix_Down Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    It's a convenient way to hit your protein macro of you're in a hurry, it can be used in recipes, it comes in awesome flavors depending on brand.

Disadvantage: Other protein sources probably have. a better nutrient profile for health.

In terms of weight loss, it's neutral. Having a good amount of protein can help retain muscle in a deficit combined with a resistance training program. Where you get your protein is up to you
  • n1tnguy
    Options
    It's a convenient way to hit your protein macro of you're in a hurry, it can be used in recipes, it comes in awesome flavors depending on brand.

Disadvantage: Other protein sources probably have. a better nutrient profile for health.

In terms of weight loss, it's neutral. Having a good amount of protein can help retain muscle in a deficit combined with a resistance training program. Where you get your protein is up to you

Agreed. The main reason for myself is convenience. Like this morning, I knew my body needed some type of sustenance, but I didn't want to prepare anything, therefore I just threw in a couple scoops of protein with almond milk.
  • Swamplady100
    Swamplady100 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    caddir wrote: »
    Can someone please tell me the advantages and disadvantages of using this ?
    I am a vegan. I do protein powder ever so often if I see my protein count is to low. Protein when low in the body causes the body to feed on muscle instead of the fat I understand. Not sure why but I know years ago when I first went vegetarian I ate so little protein that my body felt weak and I got weak. Someone told me the problem and I started eating a lot of eggs which caused extreme high cholesterol. Since then I have gone vegan. Being vegan I take in almost no cholesterol but my protein has dropped. Using a vegan protein mix with lots of vitamins and nutrients helps big time.
  • MarciBkonTrk
    MarciBkonTrk Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    In 2011, the USDA scientists discovered that women consumed two protein smoothies daily for twenty three weeks without making any other changes to their diet or exercise routine that their levels of hunger-promoting hormone dropped and their body fat started melting away, especially from the belly. A whey protein drink (50g whey protein isolate and 8oz. of water) triggers the same increase in key blood sugar-regulating hormone as the latest medications designed to fight diabetes. It also promotes weight loss. She found that drinking whey protein made the body expend more calories without any extra physical activity. The studies also showed that the best time to drink a whey isolate protein smoothie is within 15 to 30 minutes after awaking. I have been doing this for one week now. I feel better and have more energy. The smoothie keeps me from feeling hungry. Whey protein isolate is a very pure form of protein. Plus it's so convenient. Every night I get my smoothie for the next morning prepared. My basic smoothie is one scoop of whey isolate protein, 1/2 cup fat free Greek yogurt, 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk, and 1 tablespoon of chia seeds. Then I add 1/2 fruit (usually berries) and 1 1/2 cups of veggies(usually spinach or kale). Not sure how much weight I've lost this week because my weigh in day in Monday but I can tell you that I have felt better this week than I have in a long time.
  • CarrieCans
    CarrieCans Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I use it to try and meet my macros. I have been adding it to recipes and sometimes use it in smoothies when i don't feel like cooking. It's a great way to make that sweet treat smoothie a little healthier too. I've even added it to oatmeal and pudding. Most recently i used it to up the protein in my homemade bread and now it compares nutritionally to store bought bread with added nutrients and tastes way better.
  • caddir
    Options
    Thank you all very much for answering - I think I will buy some and give it a try.
  • caseythelab
    caseythelab Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I add Vega vegan protein powder to a smoothie almost every day.
  • grantwashere
    grantwashere Posts: 171 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
  • caddir
    Options
    I have just seen the price! I am dubious about which is a good one, can anyone advise please?