• sandicat6
    sandicat6 Posts: 61 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    good luck!!!
  • debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Is that the number of calories that MFP selected for you? How quick are you trying to lose the weight?

I have about 80 pounds to lose and I stick with 1800 calories to lose about a pound or so a week. I find it easier to stick with 1800 calories and can have some pizza or treats throughout the week. It will take me longer to lose the 80 pounds than if I would go to a lower calorie intake, but I know I won't stick with it if I feel deprived.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Slower weight loss is a better idea and more sustainable. Do it too fast and you may crash and burn.
  • Sailatsorf
    Sailatsorf Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    debubbie wrote: »
    Is that the number of calories that MFP selected for you? How quick are you trying to lose the weight?

I have about 80 pounds to lose and I stick with 1800 calories to lose about a pound or so a week. I find it easier to stick with 1800 calories and can have some pizza or treats throughout the week. It will take me longer to lose the 80 pounds than if I would go to a lower calorie intake, but I know I won't stick with it if I feel deprived.

Some people really can't lose weight unless they're eating around 1200. On 1200, it has taken me over 3 years to lose 83lbs, even with exercise, because that is just how my body works. It took a lot of trial and error for me to figure that out. Let her figure it out on her own. How much a person is eating is their business, unless they're legitimately anorexic and in need of help.
  • saragoesrawr
    Options
    MFP chose 1200 for me. I ended up adjusting it to 1250 for a little extra wiggle room. Its not always easy BUT it does motivate me to get up and move so I can have a little extra! I think the calories probably depend on your starting stats. Some people have a lower BMR and therefor have to go a little lower on their calories to lose. With a calorie count that low though I will say I don't beat myself up if I go a little over - It takes a LOT of planning and thinking twice to stick to such a low goal! But it is TOTALLY doable!
    -
  • stephanieluvspb
    stephanieluvspb Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    Lots of people lose weight on 1200 calories, there are even groups here on MFP dedicated to it. For me when I started here with 70 pounds to lose I was on 1200 calories but I found myself binging often and sad bc I couldn't go out with friends and family to eat bc I couldn't fit it in. I found myself thinking about food 24/7!! Finally I started creeping the forums and based on what I read decided to up my calories to 1700 a day. I haven't binged in 6 months and I am losing 1 pound a week for a total of 30 pounds so far. But that is just what worked for ME, you have to figure out what works for you. Good luck!! You can friend me if you like, I log daily
  • ping812015
    Options
    Started this past week and lost 3 pds so far..yea it's hard bt that's wt makes me push more..
  • ping812015
    Options
    Yes that's wt MFP has down for me
  • emailme178
    emailme178 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    its easy when you just start... 1200 feels like its doable and you can drop pretty fast when you are just starting to lose, but be careful when I have a "hungry day" its because my body legit needs it.... I wanted to do this fast too... now im 148 days in and down about 19 lbs... almost hit that 20 mark and I feel good. listen to your body well and don't deprive it or it will make you pay lol. if you work out please eat back at least some of those calories when you are at a 1200 limit. slow and steady wins the race :) good luck! and be prepared for plateaus ok... im in a nasty month long one!!! keep track of your measurments and just stick with it when its feeling pointless and the results will come.
  • deleteme2015
    Options
    MFP gave me a 1200 calorie limit as well, but whenever you workout, your calorie limit goes up anyway, so it's not too bad.
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,463 Member
    Options
    Just remember, MFP doesn't just "give" you a calorie goal. It is based on how aggressively you select your weight loss goal. The choice is yours. Two pounds a week is a reasonable goal for someone with a lot to lose, less so for someone who doesn't have a lot to lose.