Good workouts around children?

Options
Does anybody workout around children? I have Yourshape on the xbox but my youngest runs about in the way so its not ideal to use around him, are there any kind of workouts that are good to do with them around?
Waiting till they are asleep isnt an option due to my work pattern.

I do babywear which is great for walks, but not much use when its wet and miserable, which being in Scotland is often.

Replies

• Grace_Perfetto
    Options
    anything with good music seems to keep my kids occupied! they eaither try to do it with me (ill lay out a towel as their "mat" lol or ill put them in a pack n play! how old are your kids?
  • arcanegirl
    arcanegirl Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    They are 2.5 years and 5.5 years. Depending when I do a workout, the eldest wont be home.
  • Grace_Perfetto
    Options
    mine are 1.5 and 3.5! do they play together?
  • arcanegirl
    Options
    Not really, the age gap is too big. They have a different idea of playing and isnt usually the same,
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    During the winter break (college student here), I have my energetic 5 year old at home with me. I do body weight strength training and Leslie Sansone "Walk at Home" (really, it's not just walking, it's low impact aerobics, but great when weather is miserable).

Both of these are things the kids will join in on without getting (too much) in the way. And, well kids understand discipline differently (and we all discipline differently), but I had to instill in my kids that they are free to join in or not, but we all have to have our own "circle" of personal space to exercise in safety. Easier said than done (right?), but a good teaching moment to instill good exercise habits for life with our children.
  • ourtruelovewillneverdie
    Options
    I work out with my kids if they are home and not napping. Sometimes we just do a dance party to get moving.
  • arcanegirl
    Options
    I have started doing the "arms length" with my eldest, he mostly follows it. The youngest just runs riot lol
  • rekite2000
    rekite2000 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    When doing weights- I give my kids (2 and 4) toys to lift and they mimic me- usually in about 5 minutes they get bored and go play. Then I dance a lot either with my Wii or just dancing with them. I get to lift them a ton so that is extra help!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Strap that baby in a stroller and get walking, or wait until nap time.
  • emilymean
    emilymean Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I used to do Tiffany Rothe on YouTube when my youngest was learning to crawl. Good workout and you don't have to worry about running over anyone nearby. Now that he is 3 we go for walks, he gets out and walks too, so yeah, 2 miles can take upwards of an hour to finish. He lifts weights with me too, his are 2lbs each, my old beginners weights.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I think Leslie Sansone Walk Away the Pounds workouts are good because they are easy to follow and if you get interupted they are easy to get back into.
    You could just dance or walk briskly around your home for 20- 30 minutes.
    My dd is older so she doesn't bother me while I am exercising but we have 2 dogs who always see exercise time as their cue to get up and wander around the space.
  • bkerr30
    bkerr30 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I know the weather is crummy right now, but in nicer weather I always use park time as workout time. Chasing kids on the play structure is excellent cardio and they love having a parent join them vs sit on a bench. My son used to love setting up circuits for us to do. I would give him a list of workouts to accomplish and he would pick the rotation.
    In bad weather something like a Just dance for the game system is always good. We do that as a family although my kiddo is older.
  • arcanegirl
    Options
    Park time is totally doable when it is nice, but it definitely is not nice just now to head outside.
    We did have a good run around session, lots of laughter and screaming and I just lifted my legs more whilst running about
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    Babygates. So kids are nearby and go can see them but for length of video they won't be running underfoot. and maybe a video they can watch at the same time?
  • _runnerbean_
    _runnerbean_ Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I chose a short 20 minute workout like 30 day shred. Kids are in lounge watching their DVD and I am in hall the other side of the door doing my workout on YouTube. In nicer weather we take a ball to a quiet pitch. While they are playing soccer I walk laps of the pitch. Mine are 7 and 9 years.
  • arcanegirl
    Options
    meritage4 wrote: »
    Babygates. So kids are nearby and go can see them but for length of video they won't be running underfoot. and maybe a video they can watch at the same time?

My flat is so so tiny, I couldn't restrict them really and my eldest just opens them
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    A rebounder.