Dairy milk alternatives?

Options
So I've tried the other milks (oat, coconut, almond, etc.). The problem is, I don't drink them fast enough, and end up pouring like half of it down the sink every time...they're usually best within 7-10 days? Regular dairy milk lasts so much longer. Is there a dairy milk alternative that lasts longer than that?

Replies

• tkillion810
    tkillion810 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Strange - I drink cashew or almond milk, and have found it to last longer than my kids dairy milk.
  • kenmiller75
    kenmiller75 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I find Almond milk lasts longer than dairy too. It can be drank a few days after the expiration date. Make smoothies with it or eat cereal at breakfast and use 8 oz. and you should be able to use it up before it goes bad.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Buy the single serving bottles.
  • lolly715
    lolly715 Posts: 106
    Options
    Agreed, my almond milk always lasts way longer than cow's milk. Although I tend to use it up within a week anyway. When I'm not using milk regularly enough to use it in a reasonable time frame, I stop it completely and use alternative sources if I'm needing something dairy based - yoghurt, cheese, etc. Then just buy a single serving size if I really want milk that particular day.
  • dburgoyn
    dburgoyn Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Most grocery stores will put the product that is closest to expiry at the front of the shelf, to minimize financial loss due to spoilage. Try looking further back on the shelf for a carton with a later expiry date. I'm consistently able to find almond milk that lasts 5+ weeks this way.
  • EmilyTwist1
    EmilyTwist1 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    If you can have milk from animals other than cows, I find that goat milk lasts about 3 or 4 weeks. It also tastes more like cows milk than plant milks, if that matters to you at all.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    weird....rice,soy & almond milk have always out lasted any cow tit milk in my house
  • logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I thought this was somebody trying to wean themselves off Cadburys...
  • logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I was drinking soya milk, but it makes the PTs suck air, so I've moved on to unsweetened almond milk. I agree with @lolly715‌ that it seems to last a lot longer than real milk.
  • Mistraal1981
    Mistraal1981 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I came to this thread looking for alternatives to dairy milk chocolate.....one track mind here!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Like other have said, that's interesting, since my main reason for ever buying alternative "milks" is that they will last longer. (I love dairy, but don't drink milk much so just need to be careful I remember to use it when I do.)
  • a_candler
    a_candler Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    We buy the smaller shelf stable boxes, not the single serve but the 32 oz(?). They seem to last really long typically.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    dburgoyn wrote: »
    Most grocery stores will put the product that is closest to expiry at the front of the shelf, to minimize financial loss due to spoilage. Try looking further back on the shelf for a carton with a later expiry date. I'm consistently able to find almond milk that lasts 5+ weeks this way.

Almond milk has a very long shelf life unopened, and unrefrigerated.
    The OP is talking about after having opened it where it begins to oxidize.
    I agree. It seems to go off taste fairly quickly once opened. Dairy milk may last longer due to the fat and sugar helping to preserve it. I can keep 2% for a couple weeks but almond milk only lasts 5-7 days for me.
  • La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Buy the single serving bottles.
    i agree with this.
    keep in mind, the exp date on non-dairy milks is based on the carton being UNopened. once opened, it should be used w/in 7 days.
  • La5Vega5Girl
    Options
    mojo705 wrote: »
    I thought this was about chocolate!!!!!!! :'( sticks nose in the air flicks hair and leaves* pft!
    LOL! ;)
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    I don't think I'd go by the package statement of 7-10 days. It won't go bad that fast. Use it in your coffee or start using it in smoothies.
  • SteampunkSongbird
    SteampunkSongbird Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    mojo705 wrote: »
    I thought this was about chocolate!!!!!!! :'( sticks nose in the air flicks hair and leaves* pft!

Same! I'm also storming out in a huff! :p

• La5Vega5Girl
    Options
    I came to this thread looking for alternatives to dairy milk chocolate.....one track mind here!
    my daughter is allergic to dairy and we have found a couple of chocolate chip/chocolate bar alternatives at HEB; not sure if you have that grocery store where you live? anyway, one is called ENJOY LIFE and another is CHOCOLATE DREAM.