Eating (mostly) clean on a budget

Options
We just started a new eating pan last week. The first grocery bill was insane. Almost double what we normally spend with buying less meat that's saying something.

I'd like some tips on how to eat clean and keep costs down. Of course i know one option is to make multiple meals that use mostly the same ingredients.

One thing I would like is any tips on making produce last longer although this week we're doing pretty good I did have to toss some of the spinach that's it so far.

Replies

• astridtheviking
    astridtheviking Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Buy everything possible in bulk and never single-servings, cycle when you buy shelf-stable staples, buy on sale and work those ingredients into meals, Buy frozen veggies, read the sales flyer for your stores, plan meals in advance. Visit your local ethnic markets and see what you can get there cheaper (spices, rice, some produce, et cetera). Figure out what’s the cheapest at your grocery store and plan your meals around those foods (If cauliflower is expensive but sweet potatoes are cheap, I’ll plan more meals with sweet potatoes and skip the cauliflower). Visit farmers’ markets (when available) to scope out cheaper prices. Sometimes, farmers will get you a good deal on produce if you buy large quantities direct from them. Focus on foods that are inexpensive but have a lot of “bulk” to them - squash is dirt cheap by me and fills you up.

Don’t buy “trendy” foods just because they’re there - these are often the most expensive, especially if not grown in your area. Things grown in your region will be cheaper. Avocados, quinoa, anything with a fancy “organic” label - this stuff isn’t supposed to be available in my area and I can tell when I see the prices.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Th3Ph03n1x wrote: »
    I'd like some tips on how to eat clean and keep costs down. Of course i know one option is to make multiple meals that use mostly the same ingredients.

This. Work with what you have until it's gone. Once you get in the habit of doing that you don't waste anything, because you use it before it goes bad. And once you get in the swing of it and are eating lots of produce you will be able to have lots of different veggies and fruits on hand to mix and match (especially with a whole family) so there should be plenty of variety.

I get a farm share much of the year, which means a box of whatever is in season that the farm I'm buying from happens to be harvesting that week. You get good quickly at working with what's on hand, and I've found it a very valuable experience, even if it can be a huge challenge to use all the greens in the late spring/early summer and you have to get over pickiness to some extent. (Not actually recommending this right now, since it's winter most places.)
  • kellycasey5
    kellycasey5 Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I find the produce at regular grocers: ralphs, vons, gelsons, etc. is very expensive. Heck, I'd shop at whole foods if I could afford it, but I can't. I buy my lettuce and some stuff (asparagus, juicing carrots, cooked peeled beets) at costco. Other than that, I shop at my local 99 cent store and they have a surprisingly good produce area. I can get mushrooms, zucchini, broccoli, cauliflower, cucumbers, onions, avocados, apples, and bananas on a regular basis. They also have large bags of potatoes. Then I go to the 99 ranch, my local asian market. They have a varied selection of produce daily for much less than the big stores. If I can't get what I want I can drive aways to the farmer's market, which still costs less than ralphs. And, if I still needed something else I will get a few items at the chain grocery stores. One of my friends lives near a mexican market and they also sell produce and meats for much cheaper!
  • astridtheviking
    astridtheviking Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I find the produce at regular grocers: ralphs, vons, gelsons, etc. is very expensive. Heck, I'd shop at whole foods if I could afford it, but I can't. I buy my lettuce and some stuff (asparagus, juicing carrots, cooked peeled beets) at costco. Other than that, I shop at my local 99 cent store and they have a surprisingly good produce area. I can get mushrooms, zucchini, broccoli, cauliflower, cucumbers, onions, avocados, apples, and bananas on a regular basis. They also have large bags of potatoes. Then I go to the 99 ranch, my local asian market. They have a varied selection of produce daily for much less than the big stores. If I can't get what I want I can drive aways to the farmer's market, which still costs less than ralphs. And, if I still needed something else I will get a few items at the chain grocery stores. One of my friends lives near a mexican market and they also sell produce and meats for much cheaper!

Oh yeah, definitely find “bulk” or cheaper stores like Sam’s Club, Costco, or Aldi. My family gets our stuff at Sam’s and I go to Aldi around 2-3 times a week. Aldi has a ton of high-quality staple foods for super affordable prices, but not a lot of variety. I get at least one package of artisan lettuce which is similar to the boxed lettuce mixes at a regular grocery store - but it’s $1.99 (sometimes down to $.99 on a sale) - for a box. You can also get things like cheap nuts or dried fruit, oatmeal, almond milk, egg whites, rice, and more. They have their own line of organic or “all-natural” foods. If there’s one in your area, check it out. Wear a coat, as they don’t usually heat their stores, and bring a bag, as they charge you, and be prepared to bag or box your own cart. Oh Aldi, how do I love thee? Let me count the ways...
  • m4ndela
    m4ndela Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'd say cook bigger batches, freeze if you can. You will get to a lazy week and be able to eat from your freezer at zero cost/effort :)
  • Th3Ph03n1x
    Th3Ph03n1x Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Sadly we don't have an Aldi or a Costco. We do have a Sam's Club although we don't have a membership at present. Our house doesn't have a lot of storage space so we don't buy in bulk too much.

A lot of good ideas. I appreciate the help we really like this new plan but it's pointless if we go broke doing it.
  • mariaoutlook
    Options
    Th3Ph03n1x wrote: »
    Sadly we don't have an Aldi or a Costco. We do have a Sam's Club although we don't have a membership at present. Our house doesn't have a lot of storage space so we don't buy in bulk too much.

A lot of good ideas. I appreciate the help we really like this new plan but it's pointless if we go broke doing it.

Do you have a garden or space to have some pots? You can grow leafy vegs and strawberries in pots or window boxes. I have some fruit trees, soft fruit bushes and rhubarb plants among other veggies in my back garden. They are very easy to keep.
  • Th3Ph03n1x
    Options
    We might be able to grow a little with good planning. Our yard is pretty small but not non existent. My main concern there would be managing time.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    I try to cook with whatever looks like it will go bad first. Your spinach example is a perfect one. I find we can only have it as salad the first day or two after purchasing it, then I have to cook the rest to use it up. Stole this from vegetariantimes.com...

EAT FIRST: Sunday to Tuesday

• Artichokes
    • Asparagus
    • Avocados
    • Bananas
    • Basil
    • Broccoli
    • Cherries
    • Corn
    • Dill
    • Green beans
    • Mushrooms
    • Mustard greens
    • Strawberries
    • Watercress

EAT NEXT: Wednesday to Friday

• Arugula
    • Cucumbers
    • Eggplant
    • Grapes
    • Lettuce
    • Lime
    • Mesclun
    • Pineapple
    • Zucchini

EAT LAST: Weekend

• Apricots
    • Bell peppers
    • Blueberries
    • Brussels sprouts
    • Cauliflower
    • Grapefruit
    • Leeks
    • Lemons
    • Mint
    • Oranges
    • Oregano
    • Parsley
    • Peaches
    • Pears
    • Plums
    • Spinach
    • Tomatoes
    • Watermelon

AND BEYOND:

• Apples
    • Beets
    • Cabbage
    • Carrots
    • Celery
    • Garlic
    • Onions
    • Potatoes
    • Winter squash
  • Th3Ph03n1x
    Options
    Yeah I was just telling DH yesterday when we get Spinach we'll have to use it the first few days. I thought it would make it a bit longer... the romaine looked great after 6 days so I'm filing that away too. I appreciate the list it will be a big help in planning.
  • lolly715
    lolly715 Posts: 106
    Options
    Don’t buy “trendy” foods just because they’re there - these are often the most expensive, especially if not grown in your area. Things grown in your region will be cheaper. Avocados, quinoa, anything with a fancy “organic” label - this stuff isn’t supposed to be available in my area and I can tell when I see the prices.

Along these lines - eat seasonally. As an example, strawberries in winter will often be twice the price of buying them in summer. And usually not taste as nice since they're imported rather than locally grown. So I tend to eat berries in the summer, move on to apples in the fall and then citrus fruits in winter. I buy frozen berries for smoothies though.

I find it better to shop for produce every few days, although you have to be VERY strict with your list to keep this under budget. Far too easy to go in for one thing and leave with a bag full of stuff you didn't need!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Wash your food...

Buy less food. Reuse the same ingredients. Look for things in season or on sale. Stop worrying about arbitrary labels that don't mean anything (clean, dirty, etc.)

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Rice. Lentils. Seasonal vegetables.

Doesn't get any cleaner than that, it's super nutritious, and it's as cheap as dirt.
  • bkerr30
    bkerr30 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of meat alternatives (beans, lentils, nuts, tofu) as these are much cheaper than meat. I also eat seasonally like other posters have suggested. Right now we eat a lot of citrus, apples, root vegetables, squash etc. And I price match. This saves me a ton of money and time by not having to go to ten different stores.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I don't believe in clean but I do believe in simple and fresh.
    I grow what I can and frozen bags is the next best for me.
    You can grow a few things quite easily and in very little time depending on your location.
    I used to do large pots in the driveway when I rented. A day spent planting and a few minutes each day watering and weeding really isn't too much for fresh produce. Of course, it was -20C here yesterday so all I have right now is herbs, bok choy and a few others inside right now. :)
  • emmoen
    emmoen Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    mix ground beef in with ground turkey.... and we make different flavor meatballs. with little milk and some bread crumbs to hold it all together. we make about 3 2oz servings and when you buy this all in bulk you can have meatball often. My husband eats 2 servings a day. He is trying to clean bulk! I find its cheaper than actual lean steak.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    One thing I would like is any tips on making produce last longer although this week we're doing pretty good I did have to toss some of the spinach that's it so far.

Shop more often, like every 2-3 days, and finish what you already have. Get the produce that's on sale when you can. Meat is often discounted when it's about to go off, too.

Check out this site - http://www.stilltasty.com/ - to see how long things last, if you're not sure. You can get an extra day or two out of some foods with a little extra TLC (depends on what the food is) - that site also gives advice on best practices for storage.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    Buy on sale. Cook for the week and freeze in individual portions for lunches and quick dinners. Invest in a salad spinner. Make sure the greens are as dry as possible before refrigerating. Mine lasts pretty much all week, and we have salads almost everyday. I prep all veggies for the week (celery, carrots, radishes, onions, bell peppers and cucumbers mostly). Fresh or frozen fruit. Berries, wash and dry thoroughly before refrigerating and they last for 4 or 5 days for me. I wash the containers they come in and dry them, then put a folded paper towel in the bottom of the container.

Pretty important too to pay attention to serving sizes. The recommended amounts are smaller than most people are used to. Weigh and measure everything.

Honestly, I have been doing this for almost 3 years now, and my grocery bill is lower than it was pre-MFP, using very little pre-packaged foods.
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Spinach freezes really well. I live alone and freeze everything. Cheese, tomatoes, cooked meals like chile, stew, fried rice, and cooked meat. The only thing I don't recommend freezing is cooked potatoes.
  • rcottonrph1
    Options
    I have found personally that eating healthfully cost me less or close to the same as not. Plan your meals and snacks out ahead of time and shop from a list. Once you are able to have a pantry stocked with the essentials and basics, healthy eating becomes pretty cheap.