Does walking in heels burn more calories?

Options
Not sure if this is a stupid question to ask but was wondering, I have a pair of 3 inch heeled boots & do have to walk around quite a lot on week days, some places quite hilly - was wondering if the type of shoe effects the amount of calories burnt?

Replies

• yasmine334
    yasmine334 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    burning calories depends on two things: intensity of exercise and time period. If your body exerts more effort to support your heels-walking, then may be this is the case. just remember how your muscles will suffer from the high heels-exercise.
  • jjasmelon
    jjasmelon Posts: 101
    Options
    oh, interesting! will bare that in mind
  • S0vi
    S0vi Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Yes, if you run in them.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    For me, that would be only mentally, as I would have to concentrate on not falling off.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    If it does, it's only a very small, negligible amount that wouldn't be worth logging.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    Not sure, but I strongly doubt it. At least to any degree that would actually make a difference. I wear high heels very often and have never noticed a difference in exertion level between them and flats.
  • lmr0528
    lmr0528 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    For me, that would be only mentally, as I would have to concentrate on not falling off.

Same here!! I hate heels. I pretty much live in sneakers or flats. If I have to wear heels, it's a big deal for me to not trip and fall.

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Yes, but it is probably about the same as the difference between eating while standing and eating while sitting. Personally, I think you're better off not sweating the small stuff and look more at exercise.
  • Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I would think it would work out different muscle groups, but it wouldn't burn more calories. That being said, "Ouch!" I'm glad I don't have to wear 3" heels. :neutral_face:
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    IXUO5zJ.gif
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Yes, but it is probably about the same as the difference between eating while standing and eating while sitting. Personally, I think you're better off not sweating the small stuff and look more at exercise.

Ya? So you walk around in heels?
  • myheartsabattleground
    myheartsabattleground Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options

Or your ankles giving out, thus falling on pavement !
  • kenmiller75
    kenmiller75 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I say go for 5 in heels. It will give you calves a hell of a workout.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I'll stick this in the same category as "burning more calories taking cold showers" . . . even if it's true, it's not worth it to me.

I suspect though, like the showers thing, that it's not enough calories to matter.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    IXUO5zJ.gif

(1) that is the funniest thing ive seen all day and
    (2) the difference would be negligible and they do horrible HORRIBLE damage to your feet. stick to the sneakers for exercise ;)

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

Ya? So you walk around in heels?

2rzf8s5.gif
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    :huh:
  • Eleanorjanethinner
    Eleanorjanethinner Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I have a feeling (untested) that MFP massively overstates the amount of calories we burn when walking. I find that unless I am regularly under my calorie goal for the day (including exercise calories) that I just don't lose weight.

So basically my suggestion is to log your walking according to your speed but don't eat all of the walking calories.
  • Debbjones
    Debbjones Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    IXUO5zJ.gif

(1) that is the funniest thing ive seen all day and
    (2) the difference would be negligible and they do horrible HORRIBLE damage to your feet. stick to the sneakers for exercise ;)

Totally agree! Statistics I believe have proven that walking in heals for long period of time will do damage...

And yes, that gif is the funniest thing I've seen today!
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options

Do tell... expert walking in heels, huh?

200_s.gif