Stronglifts 5x5 doubt

Options
Hi, So considering suggestions from fellow members, I have decided to first learn the form of SL 5X5 and then slowly work my way up. While I was checking the 'workout A' video on the website, I noticed how the guy was moving up gradually from empty barbell to adding little weight at a time for each of his 5 sets instead of adding his max weight on the barbell in the beginning and doing his 5 sets with 5 reps with his max weight. Or did I get this wrong? Was he actually warming up gradually till he reached his max weight and then started doing his 5 reps with 5 sets at his max weight? I am so confused!!

Replies

• watto1980
    watto1980 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Yes warm up to your working weight then do 5x5
  • dubble13
    dubble13 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Yes, you're supposed to warm up with lighter weight first and that is what he was demonstrating. I believe it is also written somewhere in the program.
  • minniemickey
    minniemickey Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Great! Thanks!
  • McCloud33
    McCloud33 Posts: 959 Member
    Options
    You're never actually doing your "max" with a 5x5 and by that I'm referring to your one rep max. In the program if you've lifted before he suggests starting at 50% of your max, otherwise he suggests starting with just the bar. From there you just add 5lbs (2.5 if a female) to your next workout if you successfully lift all 5x5 reps. Mehedi does do warm up sets in his videos, but those don't count as sets in the 5x5.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    McCloud33 wrote: »
    You're never actually doing your "max" with a 5x5 and by that I'm referring to your one rep max. In the program if you've lifted before he suggests starting at 50% of your max, otherwise he suggests starting with just the bar. From there you just add 5lbs (2.5 if a female) to your next workout if you successfully lift all 5x5 reps. Mehedi does do warm up sets in his videos, but those don't count as sets in the 5x5.

If we are talking squats and deads- I'd move up at 5 pound increments- skip the cookies for the big lifts- and save them for OHP and bench. EVen as a woman, you're just short changing yourself unless you're really starting from a weak weak WEAK position.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    McCloud33 wrote: »

If we are talking squats and deads- I'd move up at 5 pound increments- skip the cookies for the big lifts- and save them for OHP and bench. EVen as a woman, you're just short changing yourself unless you're really starting from a weak weak WEAK position.

Yup. 2.5 is great for upper body, not needed for lower even for a woman.
  • minniemickey
    minniemickey Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!