What do I do when I'm so hungry and I'm losing motivation?

Options
I've been having a better time about reducing the amount I eat. At first I was really motivated, but now I feel the motivation is waning and I just want to eat as much as I want again. What do I do when I am surrounded by food and I still feel really hungry?

Replies

• clmozey
    clmozey Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I workout... Gets my mind off of food and any other temptation
  • andysport1
    andysport1 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Make the right choices, try and help the cravings go away, drink a glass of water, a cup of coffee, go for a walk, go to the gym, go to bed.
    If ever I feel like I want or need to pick due to being peckish and I'm unable to make a good choice I just go to bed.
  • Imcharmed
    Imcharmed Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Have a drink of water. Most of the time, your not actually hungry, just thirsty! Other than that, make sure you've got plenty of fruits available.

Good luck
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Are you eating enough protein and fats. These things keep you satiated.
  • BekahBear94
    Options
    Eat plain veggies, I've learned to love them!
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Go for a bicycle ride.
  • The_Fitness_Foodie
    The_Fitness_Foodie Posts: 95 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I'm with CLMozely, a good workout is great for diverting your attention away from food....

Also, you mention reducing your food intake - is there the chance that you've gone at it a bit gung-ho and cut too much food, too soon!?!

Try remembering what you would normally have eaten, before joining MFP and log in on an empty day (tomorrow or whenever) and see roughly how many calories you were consuming, then compare it to what you're consuming now and if there's a massive difference, may you're cutting back too much, too soon - you need to be making small changes and giving your body a chance to catch up with your ideas.

Also, make sure you're getting enough fluid (water ideally) as that helps fill you up before a meal and you'll be less inclined to over eat.

Hope this helps you a little, you're welcome to message or friend me if you want some more advice, I will try to help you as much as i can

xXx
  • sunshine1082
    sunshine1082 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    If you are actually hungry, it could mean you've set too aggressive of a calorie deficit for yourself. If you're trying to lose 2 lbs a week, try changing it to 1 lb per week. Sure, the weight loss will be slower, but you'll be less miserable and will have a better chance of sticking it out till the end.
  • Teal4me
    Teal4me Posts: 104
    Options
    Drink Lemon Water all day preferably warm. Popcorn will fill you I eat smart pop
  • Eggsweet
    Eggsweet Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    If I feel hunger pangs I try and drink water and wait a while. Bc, sometimes it thirst. If it keeps on, I'll have a snack.

I eat very large towards the start of the day and have snacks and smaller meals throughout. Sometimes I don't feel hungry so I'll skip some snacks.
  • MaggieLoo79
    MaggieLoo79 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I make bad choices when I'm hungry. I try to snack throughout the day, choosing healthy options with protein (my favorite is cucumber slices and hummus).
  • emilymean
    emilymean Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Make some hot tea and go take a hot bath. Alternatively you could eat but if you're like me you'll look up 3 months later and 20lbs fatter, and have to start all over again. Don't be like me. Keep reading the forum, keep yourself busy.
  • MachiavelliNZ
    MachiavelliNZ Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Eat more food high in fiber. I hear that controls hunger better. Personally, and I'm on an aggressive calorie deficit myself, I find that you can make some fairly low calorie meaty stews with lots of chunky veg that can be very filling.

Lastly, probably the best thing I discovered lately is the true benefit of running. If you can't run you could start out with brisk walking, but 30-90 mins of that will give you quite a lot of calories that you will then be able to eat back. It's like maaaaagic. B)
  • kellycasey5
    kellycasey5 Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    It's like maaaaagic. B)
    ^^THIS^^
  • cruzcrzyMarie
    cruzcrzyMarie Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Brush your teeth, and ignore it. I find that the hungry feeling does go away in about 20 minutes or less. I tell myself that "Hunger is not an emergency", lol.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    How much are you eating? Either your goals are too low, your macros are out of whack, or both.
  • straysilverfox
    Options
    Try eating food that's high in weight, but low in calories, like fruits and vegetables which have fiber and lots of water, or chicken breasts, which have loads of protein. I quite literally can't eat enough chicken in a meal to satisfy my calorie budget without feeling bloated.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    How long have you been dieting?
    Care to open up your diary?
    What sort of deficit are you trying to run?
    Whats your daily calories?
    Are you exercising?
    What are your stats, weight, target weight, height?

It sounds as though you either havent commited or you are running too severe a deficit, then result will be you either quit or binge quit.

All the above tips are good, but im more concerned if your basic plan isnt sound and you dont sufficciently understand what you are attempting, then its going to be a very very hard slog for you to get to target.

You need to get the right mindset, have realistic expectations and have a plan you can sustain, even if that means losing less each week.

Ofetn if you are hungry as well as the above tips of distraction and drinking water, then you should also consider what you are eating and adjust your diet.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    How long have you been dieting?
    Care to open up your diary?
    What sort of deficit are you trying to run?
    Whats your daily calories?
    Are you exercising?
    What are your stats, weight, target weight, height?

It sounds as though you either havent commited or you are running too severe a deficit, then result will be you either quit or binge quit.

All the above tips are good, but im more concerned if your basic plan isnt sound and you dont sufficciently understand what you are attempting, then its going to be a very very hard slog for you to get to target.

You need to get the right mindset, have realistic expectations and have a plan you can sustain, even if that means losing less each week.

Ofetn if you are hungry as well as the above tips of distraction and drinking water, then you should also consider what you are eating and adjust your diet.

+1
  • grandmamere
    grandmamere Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Repeat after me.... I don't live to eat, I eat to live! Then make a hot drink and enjoy it. After lunch and dinner I make decaf coffee with 1 T of Caramel Macchiato . If I get another "need to feed" I make more decaf and say " I don't live to eat, I eat to live" and drink my cup of yummy java. Good luck.
    ~Anne~