The poopy truth. Constipation.

Options
This is my fourth day of tracking and being very aware of what I'm consuming. I'm feeling very constipated. Is this normal for the beginning? Any good/natural solutions?

Replies

• hotcoffee692
    hotcoffee692 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Water, fresh fruits and veggies, exercise, and more water!
  • pineapple_jojo
    pineapple_jojo Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    You may need to up your water as you are likely taking on board more fibre :)
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Prune juice
    Apple juice
    Coffee
    Olive oil (on an empty stomach)
    Beans
    Broccoli
    Berries
    Water

• ChrisM32205
    ChrisM32205 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Since the new year I've been eating very little meat and a lot more fruits and veggies and I've noticed my bm's going from every other day to almost every day. It makes sense to me since veggies and fruits digest quicker than meat.

I'd try more veggies in your diet.
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    I would say it's pretty normal to experience some sort of intestinal issue - one way or another. Try some of the foods suggested and just pay some attention to how things progress, when we make changes in our diets it can cause some changes to that issue as well as our skin.
  • MayTehSporksBeWithYou
    Options
    What does your fiber intake look like? If you've dramatically increased it when you changed your diet, that could be your problem.

In order to solve this problem, drink more water and cut your fiber back, then increase your intake gradually instead of all at once.

If you're not currently getting enough fiber (at least the amount recommended by MFP but preferably more), work on upping your intake gradually.

To take care of your current constipation, I would recommend coffee and and increased exercise. That always helps me.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Water. Fiber. And if you're desperate and it becomes chronic, take a magnesium complex supplement.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Magnesium citrate and lots of water.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

If been having issues due to (I think) a new addition of protein powder, tried my usual fix to no effect. Chugged 10 oz mag citrate and 4 hours later, all cleaned out. :#
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    This is my fourth day of tracking and being very aware of what I'm consuming. I'm feeling very constipated. Is this normal for the beginning? Any good/natural solutions?

Make sure you are getting enough of the three "F"'s :Fat, Fiber, and Fluids.

I have found that a handful of almonds does a good job of helping things move along. They have two of the "F"'s: fat and fiber.

• BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options

This.

• CalorieCanvas
    CalorieCanvas Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Whole prunes do wonders for me and they're good for you in other ways. About 6-10 of 'em should do the trick.

Also lots of water.
  • JadeRabbit08
    JadeRabbit08 Posts: 551 Member
    Options

Can't really tell with a closed diary.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Also fat...you may not be getting enough lube.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    FredDoyle wrote: »

<3
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

Yup. A magnesium supplement (or a cal/mag/D) will get things moving, gently.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    #1 best thing is exercise. Daily exercise, even walking. The more active you are, the more regular those poops get!

Water, water, water. Drink it. Not to excess, not beyond your thirst, but drink it.

Eat enough food! The calories are nice, but the amount counts, too. If you have one tiny, calorie-laden meal and don't eat the rest of the day, you'll have bigger poopy problems than someone who ate two or three larger meals, even if you all ate the same number of calories. You need food in there to process.

Fiber! Increase it slowly or you'll be bloating and farting, but work up to your MFP fiber goal. It helps with pooping and it helps you stay full, so double bonus points there.

When you need to go, go! Your digestive system kind of works in waves. If you ignore the sensation of needing to go, it will almost always let you do that, but it won't want to go when you've decided it is time and it may want to wait for the next wave it feels like having, so pay attention to them and go when you get that sensation! Can't surf when there's no wave. ;)

Ask the doctor about taking Colace. It's an over-the-counter stool softener. It is not a laxative and will not make you go, but it will suck more water into your poop so that when you do get the urge, the stuff is softer and not too hard to push out.

Milk of Mag is helpful, too. Ask the doctor about that one.

If you use laxatives a lot, you can develop serious issues, so try to avoid them if you possibly can. If you haven't gone in 4-5 days, you really should call the doctor, for sure.
  • RebelDiamond
    RebelDiamond Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I had this exact problem for quite a while (even with lots of water and fiber) and it resulted in pain, bleeding etc so my advice is...

Try the above "natural" remedies (water, fiber toppers, supplements) but if that doesn't work after a while, get an over the counter mild laxative/stool softener (ask for advice from the pharmacist) and take it every night for a week or so with lots of water.

That was the recommendation from my GP, and after three weeks or so my bowels worked themselves out and I haven't had a problem in over a year now.
  • marialou891
    marialou891 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    FredDoyle wrote: »

:smile:
  • marialou891
    marialou891 Posts: 20 Member
    Options

Can't really tell with a closed diary.

I'm not sure how to "open" my diary?