Heart Rate Monitors/Calorie Monitor Recommendations

Options
Does anyone have any recommendations on a specific one. I used to have a fitbit and it broke. Since then I haven't replaced one. As I am getting back on track with my weight loss and healthy lifestyle, I would like to get one. I run, work out at Orange Theory, and also do Turbo Fire. I change it up. I would like to know an accurate amount of calories burned so I can keep track of it properly. I appreciate any suggestions.

Replies

• honkytonks85
    honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know how Accurate wrist worn HRM is?
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Soniatantu wrote: »
    Does anyone have any recommendations on a specific one. I used to have a fitbit and it broke. Since then I haven't replaced one. As I am getting back on track with my weight loss and healthy lifestyle, I would like to get one. I run, work out at Orange Theory, and also do Turbo Fire. I change it up. I would like to know an accurate amount of calories burned so I can keep track of it properly. I appreciate any suggestions.

Running is about the only activity there that the HRM will come close to tracking caloric expenditure from accurately. It's a function of the established relationship between an activity, VO2 max, intensity, and heart rate ... and a lot of activities simply don't have that established relationship so there aren't formulae to calculate a burn.

Does anyone know how Accurate wrist worn HRM is?

Depends on the model and how tightly it's worn. Mio, Tomtom Cardio, and a couple others get decent reviews, but they have to be tight to prevent outside light from leaking in and ruining their performance. The touch to get a pulse snapshot versions are useless for readings because they only take a measurement when prompted, not a continuous reading.

• tjfrisque
    tjfrisque Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I have a polar ft4 and I love it.