Indoor Cycling Trainer Sensor?

Options
Hi! I just bought a Giant Cyclotron Mag Trainer, but now I need something that tells me speed/cadence. I'm not sure what to get. There's a Wahoo brand one that you just slip in your shoe and then get the app for your phone.
Or I've seen the ones that you put on your back tire, but what all do I need for that?
Help! Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

Replies

• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    All it takes is a combination of a speed/cadence sensor (you'll need one that includes a sensor for the wheel to determine speed) and the right bike computer or phone app. I have a Wahoo BlueSC with their app on my phone for indoor work ... pairs well with my bluetooth HRM.

The basic setup is a magnet on the crankarm (some require removing and reinstaling the pedal to slide it into place), a magnet on a spoke of the back wheel, and mounting the sensor on your frame with either zip ties or rubber strap. It took me about five minutes to get the three pieces on my bike and aligned, including pedal removal/installation time.
  • paisleydaisy
    paisleydaisy Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I was actually looking at that Wahoo BlueSC one, so all I would need is that sensor? Nothing else because then it connects to my iPhone through an app, right?
    I was also looking at the Cateye Cadence Computer, I know it doesn't connect through an app or anything, it just sits on your handlebars and it's fairly simple.
    I just don't want to spend a lot of money on something I'll only use when I train indoors. When I ride outside, I use an app on my iPhone that uses GPS to measure distance, etc...
    Thanks again!
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    I've got my Wahoo attached to their app on my Android indoors and it works just fine. It requires a BLE compliant phone ... so iPhone model matters.

It then shares with Strava, Training Peaks, MapMyRun, Runkeeper, and can email the file if you want to manually upload to another app/site.
  • ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised you don't already have a speed cadence sensor for your road bike. Actually, you will use some sort of bike on the trainer. There are many options, check out a cycling forum or site.
  • HelenWater
    HelenWater Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    DC Rainmaker has probably reviewed sensors, so I'd have a look and see what he has to say. Also, people then comment on his blog so you can find answers to questions there too.