low sodium vegetarian cooking

Options
sheldonklein
sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
edited January 2015 in Recipes
So, my wife just had a serious heart attack and needs to eat a very low sodium diet. To further complicate things, she is a vegetarian and does not have an adventurous palate. Anyone know of sites, blogs or other sources of low sodium vegetarian recipes that don't just taste like food that needs salt?

Replies

• dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Try lemon or lime zest and juice to brighten foods as if there is salt in the recipe. Vinegar does the same thing. I don't know of a low sodium vegetarian blog or website. But I found these blogs helpful. There are some veggie dishes on each.

lowsodiumcooking.com/
    lowsodiumblog.com/
    dontsalt.blogspot.com/
  • LindaLee2015
    Options
    Learn how to cook with other spices. I use lots of thyme and parsley and such. I don't know the sodium content of poultry seasoning, but it's vegetarian and adds good flavor. Doesn't sound vegetarian but it is. And there's lots of low-sodium vegetable broths that will flavor soups and rice dishes. I do NOT like sodium-free salt substitute, but you could try it and see if she likes it. My husband makes our pasta sauce so we can control the sodium. He uses salt-free canned tomatoes and lots of veggies. You have plenty of options. Once I began measuring my sodium, my blood pressure went down and I have much less pain in my joints in the morning.
  • wmpottsjr
    wmpottsjr Posts: 42 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I have the same heart problems and my diary is open, if you need suggestions. Try this recipe You'll never know there is no salt in it.

Mexican Bean Salad 173g/serving Servings 10

calories per serving 285

adapted from allrecipes.com (use their directions) http://allrecipes.com/recipe/mexican-bean-salad/detail.aspx

15 Ingredients Edit Recipe

1.00 large, Onions - Raw
    0.50 cup(s), Oil - Olive
    0.50 cup(s), Red Wine Vinegar
    2.00 tbsp(s), Sugar White, by Cup
    2.00 clove(s), Garlic - Raw
    0.25 cup(s), Cilantro (Raw)
    0.50 tbsp(s), Ground Cumin
    1.00 container (1 4/5 cups ea.), Pinto Beans, No Salt Added Rinsed & Drained
    1.00 container (1 1/2 cs ea.), Light Red Kidney Beans No Salt Added
    1.00 container (1 4/5 cup (130g) ea.), No Salt Added Black Beans
    1.00 large (2-1/4 per lb, approx 3-3/4" long, 3" dia), Peppers - Sweet, green, raw
    1.00 large, Red Bell Pepper
    1.00 container (455 g (2/3 cup) ea.), Sweet Kernel Corn (Select Vegetables)
    1.00 lime yields, Lime juice - Raw
    2.00 tbsp(s), Lemon juice - Raw

Nutrition Facts Servings 10.0
    Amount Per Serving
    calories 285
    % Daily Value *
    Total Fat 12 g 18 %
    Saturated Fat 1 g 7 %
    Monounsaturated Fat 8 g
    Polyunsaturated Fat 1 g
    Trans Fat 0 g
    Cholesterol 0 mg 0 %
    Sodium 11 mg 0 %
    Potassium 438 mg 13 %
    Total Carbohydrate 35 g 12 %
    Dietary Fiber 8 g 33 %
    Sugars 11 g
    Protein 9 g 17 %
    Vitamin A 9 %
    Vitamin C 54 %
    Calcium 6 %
    Iron 15 %

* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.
  • mariaoutlook
    Options
    So sorry to hear that.

Knorr, Kallo and other brands sell low sodium stock. If you are in the UK or Ireland, you can buy them at Holland & Barrett. Alternatively, you can make your own and freezer in ice cube trays. It's very easy. :)

How to make chicken stock You can keep it in the freezer in ice cubes.

Save leftover herbs in ice cubs

Lots of recipes here:

heartandstroke.com
  • mariaoutlook
    Options
    More recipes here:

eatingwell.com Some vegan recipes here, like the broccoli & goat cheese souffle or the vegetarian taco salad that looks very yummy!

One-Week Low-Sodium Vegan Menu

Low Sodium Vegetarian Recipes Lots of unusual and easy to make recipes. I think I will be cooking the gazpacho and the African coconut bake tomorrow. :)
  • Nancy33333
    Nancy33333 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Vegetarian Times has lots of recipes, and gives nutritional information for each recipe. They don't seen to have a specific low sodium section, but at least all the recipes are vegetarian. There are also vegan recipes on the site, if that's important. http://www.vegetariantimes.com/ Best wishes for a speedy and successful recovery for your wife.
  • daisyverma
    daisyverma Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I hope your wife feels better soon. I am a vegetarian myself and try to restrict my salt intake since everyone has BP in my family.

South Asians use a lot of spices in their cooking : Fenugreek (sparingly since its bitter), garam masala (spice mix), cumin, turmeric, chilli powder, coriander, cloves, cardamom, cinnamon, aniseed, carom seeds. dry mango powder... etc

You can try to make your own spice mixes so this way you can leave out the salt and make it to taste

• caseythelab
    caseythelab Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above recommendations about lemon/lime juice and zest and spices. I would add to try Bragg's amino acids (I mentioned this in another post, I don't get a commission, I swear! ;)
  • wmpottsjr
    Options
    If anyone needs a source for hard to find low sodium ingredients try http://healthyheartmarket.com/ I have not bought from them, so I can't vouch for them that way. They're from Minnesota and a little pricey, but at least you can see what is available.
  • woofer00
    woofer00 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above recommendations about lemon/lime juice and zest and spices. I would add to try Bragg's amino acids (I mentioned this in another post, I don't get a commission, I swear! ;)

Bragg's is not low sodium at all. Compare by actual serving size, not just the per serving info on the label.
  • wmpottsjr
    Options
    Bragg's has 320 mg/tsp of sodium which is quite a lot. That is according to their website. Bragg's also say that they add no salt and all of the saltiness is due to the normal amount of sodium in soybeans. When I checked out what he said about soybeans with the USDA, I found that soybeans do not contain much sodium at all. Furthermore, ionized sodium does not have a salty flavor. I am not going to endanger my heart health with that product.
  • wmpottsjr
    Options
    If you are looking for a low sodium soy sauce replacement check out China Town Soy Sauce. It only has 145 mg/Tbl sodium. That is the lowest I have ever seen. The addition of salt is declared in their product.