early morning exercise

Options
I really want to start working out in the mornings because if I wait until after work then 9 times out of 10 I talk myself out of it. However, when the alarm goes off and its dark and cold I can't seem to drag my butt out of bed. Anyone have any motivational advice that they use to get up out of bed and to the gym in the morning?

Replies

• Lkbaker
    Lkbaker Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness you sound like me. I'm gonna try this week to work out in the mornings. Last week my schedule was a mess with work and the kids having snow days. Try packing your stuff or laying out work clothes the night before. If you use a song as your alarm, pick one that puts you in the mindset of working out. Good Luck! I am right there with you !!
  • laking128
    laking128 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I love the idea of waking up to an upbeat song, I'm going to try that! Good luck to you too!
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,424 Member
    Options
    You just do it. After awhile it's habit. The snooze button is NOT your friend! I second the laying out the clothes and shoes the night before too.
  • tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I second the habit comment. you just have to push through until you do it on automatic.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I got to bed in as much workout gear as I can. Running tights, sports bra, tank, and gym socks. I mean I'm just going to sweat in in anyway, right? Then when the alarm goes off I quickly sit up and get out of bed before I give myself the chance to talk myself out of it.

Then it's just a matter of putting on my shoes and zip up jacket, putting my hair up and running out the door.

On days I'm having a particularly hard time getting out of bed, I take a small sip from a 5 Hour Energy Shot I keep on my nightstand, hit snooze once, and by the time it goes off again the caffeine has kicked in enough to get me up.
  • cbhubbybubble
    cbhubbybubble Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Yep, have made it a habit since last spring and that helps now that it's dark and -40 when I head out the door at 445am. I also remind myself how much quieter the gym is that time of day and I like having the weight area almost to myself.
  • laking128
    laking128 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, great suggestions! I have my workout clothes all ready by the bed. Now, I just have to jump up as soon as the alarm clock goes off before my brain wakes up!
  • crashchamp
    crashchamp Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I know it helps me to not eat snacks before going to bed. This way my stomach helps me get up demanding some food. Then I grab a quick yogurt or something small pre workout. After a month I find myself now waking up a few minutes before my alarm goes off and ready to get to it.
  • cbhubbybubble
    cbhubbybubble Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    3lseif wrote: »
    I know it helps me to not eat snacks before going to bed. This way my stomach helps me get up demanding some food. Then I grab a quick yogurt or something small pre workout. After a month I find myself now waking up a few minutes before my alarm goes off and ready to get to it.

I drink an extra glass of water and my 40+ post children bladder does the same job :D