Fitbit Charge vs Garmin Vivofit

Options
aubgurl
aubgurl Posts: 3
edited January 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
Does anyone have any experience with these two activity trackers? I know the Vivofithey doesn't have a backlight (yet) but what are the other differences in the two? If you've used them both, which one did you like better?

Replies

• WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    The Charge doesn't have a backlight, either, if it matters.

I haven't used a Vivofit but I like the Jonathan Adler band designs coming out for the Vivofit 2.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    VivoFit2 has a backlight and I believe it just came out. Garmin has it listed at $129.99 (without HRM).

I think one of the biggest differences between the 2 bands you mentioned is that the VivoFit can be paired with a chest strap HRM. The charge doesn't have that function. The ChargeHR has a built in HRM, but just the charge doesn't have any HR features.

I have never owned a Fitbit Charge. I had a good experience with Fitbit Zip and bad luck with Fitbit Flex. I currently own a VivoFit (original model). I love the VivoFit itself, but so far I'm not really impressed with the software for it (Garmin Connect). I'm trying to wait and see if things improve with the software and just hoping it's issues are from all the new people using the device. If the software starts working better, then I will keep it. If not, I will probably go back to Fitbit or look into another fitness band.
  • skip3207
    Options
    I recently got the garmin. Two points in its favor are that you never have to charge it (replaceable battery lasts one year) and it is totally waterproof so you can swim or shower with it.
  • moonblush
    moonblush Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've never had a fitbit, but just got my vivofit for Christmas and I LOVE it! I did a lot of research and this one fit my needs best. I have friends at work who swear by their fitbits so I guess it is personal preference - I can tell you that since I've gotten it, I'm much more motivated to exercise and that for me, is worth every penny.
  • Shannnabanana
    Shannnabanana Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I had the fitbit flex, it was alright but it didn't have a clock. I wasn't able to get the force before it was recalled. I wanted the Charge, but not being able to wear it in the shower was a deal breaker for me.

I just got the original Vivofit today. The vivofit2 is available for pre-order, but I need instant gratification lol

The original vivofit does not have a back-light, but that is totally fine with me. I can still see it in fairly low light, but when am I going to be in a pitch black situation and need to look at my step count? lol

I really am pleased with the original vivofit. I got it at Verizon for $89.99. I opted to not get the chest strap yet, but I plan on buying it next month.

The mobile app leaves much to be desired, but I didn't buy it for the app. I bought it to trac my steps and calories.

:smile:
  • aubgurl
    Options
    Thanks guys!! I appreciate the input! I really liked the Vivofit and will probably end up going with that:)
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I think where the backlight would be handy is trying to read the display in the direct sunlight. I find the Charge models hard to read outdoors, but I find that true to varying degrees of all trackers, really. And I walk without reading glasses, so that doesn't help.
  • bio79
    bio79 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    somewhat OT, but I really like my basis peak :)

though the best choice for you will depend on what sensors you want, do you swim? should it be waterproof? etc :) I don't run or bike and I always knew that I wanted something that would give me the whole picture of my day as much as possible so I went with the Peak :)

any one of the many choices will be the right one for you if you know what you want from it :)
  • Nyxks
    Nyxks Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Started with the fitbit flex over a year ago n enjoyed it. Got the charge yesterday n gave the flex to my wife to use. So far so good. Don't have a issue with the lack of water since I don't swim with a watch on as is so it's never been a issue. But it's a downside to it for many people I assume just not for everyone.
  • Riskay123
    Riskay123 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I have a vivofit and I love it. I love the fact that it can get wet so I never take mine off. But the best bit for me is the battery. The fact that I don't have to charge it got me over the line. Oh I also like the red line thing that tells me when I have been sitting still to long.