ATTN: Juicer People, can I refrigerate juice for later?

I have a Jack LaLanne power juicer. I am wanting to do a juice fast this week, but the one thing that usually really stops me from a proper juice fast is that I get so sick of washing and rewashing that damn juicer multiple times a day.

So I am wondering, is it safe to prepare juice ahead, and if so, how long can it safely stay in the fridge and what do you like to store it in? I have an empty 2-litre bottle that I've sterilized and was thinking of using for this. Would that be OK?

Also, I have been reading that my juicer is not a great kind, and I should try something that doesn't separate out the pulp? Is that true, and if so, recommendations?

Replies

• obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    1. Most things are actually better when they're juiced ahead of time, taste-wise. I've never done it more than 12-16 hours ahead, but you could try
    2. You don't need to do a juice fast, in fact getting too few calories can lead to malnutrition
    3. I don't have any recommendations besides a blender, but the pulp has all the fiber in it
  • anettewalker598
    anettewalker598 Posts: 2 Member
    Any juicer that I know of is going to have a ton of pulp waste. In my opinion, this is a huge drawback to juicing. I know people say you can use the pulp in baking or making soups, but really, who does that? When I do a juice fast, I make my juices fresh throughout the day, but I only clean my juicer at the end of the day. The one I have doesn't seem to get clogged so this system works for me. If you prepare them ahead of time, I've heard that the juice starts to lose some of it's nutrients (because of oxidation maybe?) I haven't ever seen anything to confirm that but that's what "they" say.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Get one of those nutribullets that doesn't extract the pulp/fibre. This is the best and most healthful part!
  • daklex
    daklex Posts: 93 Member
    I've been advised not to let juice sit for over 12-15 hours, even if refrigerated.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    It's fine to refrigerate it, don't make more than 3 days worth though. You'd be best served by making a day's worth at a time.

Keep in mind though, a juice fast isn't doing much for you. It's reduced calorie, but really just going to clean out whatever is living in your colon and lower intestine. temp solution at best.
  • myheartsabattleground
    myheartsabattleground Posts: 2,040 Member
    featureHero_BL480.png
  • Chaqi
    Chaqi Posts: 3 Member
    Thanks, everyone. I am just wanting to do a 4-7 day one because it sort of empties things out and makes me feel better, and it's been awhile, so no worries, I will not overdo it. :)