How do I log in my burned calories from weight lifting

Options
Ok I am New here. I am struggling to log in my weight lifting burned calories. I manage to log in my yoga session but the other ones I can't. Also I just want to put an average in. I see that there is option to pick every exerciser but that will take me hours because My program is to complicated and 6 sheets long. Heavy, light, cardio and so on......

How can I do it manually and just put in the number

Replies

• 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    right - was wondering the same thing today. If you can only do it in individual exercises, it will take forever. Is there a "general weight lifting 30 minutes"? lol ... I'm sure someone will be offended by that suggestion. My little dumbbell repeats aren't the same as Mr. Gym's squats. :) But it would be nice to keep it logged.
  • jenmovies
    jenmovies Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Put it in once, then copy it every time. That's what I do! Hope that helps. (Copy all then delete what you didn't do. Takes way less time.)
  • JamieFine
    JamieFine Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Can you do it as circuit training and adjust time to achieve your number? That's kinda what I've been doing because I had the same problem...
  • GeorgieKay2013
    GeorgieKay2013 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    OK I see. I will just put a couple of hours of yoga till I reach the desired calories
  • GeorgieKay2013
    Options
    lgutches wrote: »
    right - was wondering the same thing today. If you can only do it in individual exercises, it will take forever. Is there a "general weight lifting 30 minutes"? lol ... I'm sure someone will be offended by that suggestion. My little dumbbell repeats aren't the same as Mr. Gym's squats. :) But it would be nice to keep it logged.

I think dumbbell repeats for 30 mis are abut 90 calories
  • stephanieluvspb
    stephanieluvspb Posts: 997 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I found "strength training" under the cardiovascular not strength training section but I think the calorie burn is way over rated so I change the # in the calories burned box to 75 for a 45-60 minute lift session.
  • GeorgieKay2013
    Options
    I found it also. Thanks.

I think though that the calorie count is quite right for a proper weight lifting session. It is usually in the range of 260-360 per hour depending on the length of the breaks you take between sets. And if you doing extra cardio at the end of the session you add that on top.
  • im_awesome_because_im_me
    Options
    Personally, I never add my weight resistance because of that same issue...I only add the cardio and of course my meals...keeps me on my toes to stay under my daily calorie goal ^_^

Just a different way to trick your mind...hope that helps...just see the weights as a hidden BONUS!!!
  • SexyKatherine73
    SexyKatherine73 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    in cadio section you can log weight lifting, it works out calorie burn
  • lgoldfarb
    lgoldfarb Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I've been using a heart rate monitor that tells me how many calories I burn.
  • Petzwv
    Petzwv Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I do it as circuit training also
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    I don't bother logging any exercise. I just figured out my BMR, then the TDEE (total daily energy expenditure), then hit a daily calorie goal about 20% less than my TDEE.

Easier than digging through all those exercise entries every day.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    lgoldfarb wrote: »
    I've been using a heart rate monitor that tells me how many calories I burn.

HRMs aren't accurate for strength training burns.

Type in strength training into the cardio section and it will give you an estimate.

Please know that figuring out calorie counts during weight lifting is tough to do and can really only be accomplished through trial and error.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    Personally, I never add my weight resistance because of that same issue...I only add the cardio and of course my meals...keeps me on my toes to stay under my daily calorie goal ^_^

Just a different way to trick your mind...hope that helps...just see the weights as a hidden BONUS!!!

***This*** Log your weight lifting under the strength training section if you want to keep track of your progress.

The only benefit to logging your lifting for calories, is if you want to eat those calories back, which means you're cutting a very fine line if your goal is to lose weight. It's not like you don't burn any calories if you don't log it.
  • GeorgieKay2013
    Options

***This*** Log your weight lifting under the strength training section if you want to keep track of your progress.

The only benefit to logging your lifting for calories, is if you want to eat those calories back, which means you're cutting a very fine line if your goal is to lose weight. It's not like you don't burn any calories if you don't log it.

I can see both replies are focused on loosing weight. But I am not trying to loose weight at the moment. I just use my fitness pal ones every 2-3 months to check where I am precisely. I know prety good where I am in terms of calories during the day but that's ruffly. And when I do the app I am
    Going for precision

Thanks for the advice anyway.
  • lgoldfarb
    lgoldfarb Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

Type in strength training into the cardio section and it will give you an estimate.

Please know that figuring out calorie counts during weight lifting is tough to do and can really only be accomplished through trial and error.

Why aren't HRM accurate for strength training. Don't they just count the calories you are burning during any given activity? I also use it for hiking and yoga.

Just trying to learn and lose.

• blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options

I can see both replies are focused on loosing weight. But I am not trying to loose weight at the moment. I just use my fitness pal ones every 2-3 months to check where I am precisely. I know prety good where I am in terms of calories during the day but that's ruffly. And when I do the app I am
    Going for precision

Thanks for the advice anyway.

That's why I included the line if your goal is to lose weight.

Personally I would not log the calories regardless, and after a few weeks of religiously tracking my food and weighing everything, I would analyze what my TDEE was based on your loss / gain over that time, and that will tell you what you should eat if you maintain the same training schedule based on your personal goals.
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    lgoldfarb wrote: »
    Hornsby wrote: »

Why aren't HRM accurate for strength training. Don't they just count the calories you are burning during any given activity? I also use it for hiking and yoga.

Just trying to learn and lose.

Heart rate monitors measure only your heart rate and then give an estimated calorie burn based on your heart rate, weight and age. The problem is that the conversions are set up for steady state cardio, not the brief intense periods followed by a couple minutes of rest associated with weight lifting.

HRMs would be more accurate for circuit training where one exercise is immediately followed by another with no rest periods in between, because that would be basically a cardio workout.

As far as I know, there is no accurate way to measure caloric burn for weight lifting. Still, I like to make an entry and credit myself with extra calories when I exercise. My typical strenth workouts take about an hour if I stay focused and avoid any interruptions. When I enter the activity I give it 60 minutes even if the session took longer, and credit myself with 200 calories. I suspect the calorie number may be a bit higher than that, but I don't think it's off by a lot. Likewise, if 200 is too high, it can't be off by much.
  • getstrongkaylen
    getstrongkaylen Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    i never log it as burning calories. its not worth it (for me). i dont necessarily lift weights to burn cals, i do it to build muscle, i do cardio to burn cals! but i do log it under strength training.