Strong Lifts 5 x 5 opinions?

Options
stephaniejmnz
stephaniejmnz Posts: 30 Member
edited January 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
I'm a 20 year old female who is fairly new to weight training. I've been stuck doing isolation training, since I don't have a set program I follow. I've had this strong lifts program recommended a couple times, but I was wondering if anyone's had success themselves? Especially women? If I do start it, would I have to adjust the weights since I am not able to lift very much yet.

Replies

• jenglish712
    jenglish712 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm a dude; but yes I would say I had success in that I have gotten much stronger. There's a group for ladies doing SL 5x5 that's pretty active.

You start with an empty bar on most exercises. If you can't do the lifts with an empty bar you can start with a lighter bar (some gyms have them) or with dumbells.

Honestly, if you read the direct program from Medhi... he's a bit of a chauvinist d-bag and writes much of it directly to men... but don't let that dissuade you from a good program.
  • stephaniejmnz
    Options
    Well, I'm a dude; but yes I would say I had success in that I have gotten much stronger. There's a group for ladies doing SL 5x5 that's pretty active.

You start with an empty bar on most exercises. If you can't do the lifts with an empty bar you can start with a lighter bar (some gyms have them) or with dumbells.

Honestly, if you read the direct program from Medhi... he's a bit of a chauvinist d-bag and writes much of it directly to men... but don't let that dissuade you from a good program.

His way of writing is exactly why I was put off because he doesn't take time to address his female audience since it's so "small" apparently. I really would like to get stronger though and lose some fat. Would you recommend doing some cardio along with the program or sticking to the program by itself and eat a clean diet?
  • rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    There is a group right on myfitnesspal for women doing Stronglifts.

Stronglifts 5x5 for Women
  • jenglish712
    Options

His way of writing is exactly why I was put off because he doesn't take time to address his female audience since it's so "small" apparently. I really would like to get stronger though and lose some fat. Would you recommend doing some cardio along with the program or sticking to the program by itself and eat a clean diet?

Most of the time I did some cardio as well. I probably "ate clean" though I subscribe more to a "if it fits your macros" philosophy. But honestly, when you are small framed and in a calorie deficit, IIFYM still ends up meaning a lot of lean protein and veggies to stay full so my diary during the weight loss time looked very much like what most would call "clean eating."

But cardio is not required. It helps with a calorie deficit, but you can get that without any cardio. I personally found it helped me.
  • stephaniejmnz
    Options

Most of the time I did some cardio as well. I probably "ate clean" though I subscribe more to a "if it fits your macros" philosophy. But honestly, when you are small framed and in a calorie deficit, IIFYM still ends up meaning a lot of lean protein and veggies to stay full so my diary during the weight loss time looked very much like what most would call "clean eating."

But cardio is not required. It helps with a calorie deficit, but you can get that without any cardio. I personally found it helped me.

I'd love to calculate macros and all that, but I honestly have no idea where to begin :/
  • jenglish712
    Options
    There are calculators such as http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/

In addition to the SL for women group, there is a IIFYM based group called Eat, Train, Progress that have a couple really knowledgeable and helpful folks to help with diet questions as well as strength training questions.
  • stephaniejmnz
    Options
    There are calculators such as http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/

In addition to the SL for women group, there is a IIFYM based group called Eat, Train, Progress that have a couple really knowledgeable and helpful folks to help with diet questions as well as strength training questions.

I appreciate your help! Thank you!
  • donutlifter107
    Options
    Stronglifts was the first program I ever did to get myself into lifting. Just start light if you want to. Start with the barbell by itself, start with small amounts for squats and deadlifts. There is absolutely nothing wrong with starting light - that way you can focus primarily on form. Over time, the bigger weights will come. :)
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    I've done the program for 8 weeks so far and like it pretty well. The group is a great resource, so definitely check it out. I started with either the bar or ones that weigh less as on overhead press the 45 lb bar was too heavy. Some moves take adjustments at the lower weights (like deadlift and rows) but it's really an easy enough program to follow.

And it's definitely okay to start lighter and work your way up from there. I started with the bar on most of the moves (lighter on overhead press), except row and deadlift but I took longer getting those moves figured out. Some are slower for increases then others yet I still enjoy the routine each time I go to the gym. The group is the best resource as everyone has tips on how to deal with different issues whether it's stacking plates to get the bar height for rows/deadlifts, or how to get feet flat for bench, etc.

I pretty much follow the lifting (I don't have the app or a phone that can do apps) using a notebook and only have really listened to Medhi in the two videos where he went through both days of the routine. That's pretty much all I needed, from there I have the group and the weights, nothing more necessary.
  • CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    stronglifts is great for beginners, including women, because you only have to learn a few exercises well and you're in and out of the weights section quickly. That's because it focuses on compound movements as opposed to isolation exercises. I started my girlfriend off on it, instead of the New Rules of Lifting for Women, and she's off to a good start.

Start slow and make sure you have good form to avoid injuries! With squats, it's sometimes easier to begin with a low box. Mirror how you sit on a toilet! With bench presses, you don't want the bar falling on your head and you have to return the bar to the rack when you're done, so don't go too heavy or go too many! It's okay to ask others in the gym for help.