Do stretches help you with recovery? What does?

Options
tomatoey
tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
I've read that static stretching isn't useful at all, that seemed determined. Then I read that actually it might be useful. Active recovery, like walking and swimming, is said to be best, but I'm not sure my legs always agree.

Massage seems to help me a lot.

What works for you?

Replies

• 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Static stretching is beneficial for everyone. Where it is the subject of debate is whether to do it before working out or not. But definitely after. And definitely a good thing to be doing on an ongoing basis because it doesn't have any memory imprint. That is, your body needs to be constantly reminded to stretch out your muscles by repeated application.
  • TheLadyBane
    TheLadyBane Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Stretching, yoga, pilates, and using a foam roller all help with my recovery after running or lifting heavy.
  • jared00
    jared00 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    foam roller;) best thing EVER
  • tomatoey
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Thank you, Jacqueline! To the mat I go!

And jared and TheLadyBane, appreciate your input. I'll look into a foam roller :)
  • mmgavitt
    mmgavitt Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    And drink lots of water after a workout to flush out the lactic acid. My A&P teacher (a nurse and a doctor of veterinary) said that it should help your muscles recover faster. Hydration is always a good thing so at the least it wouldn't hurt.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Time is about the only thing that actually helps, in my experience.
  • tomatoey
    Options
    More water definitely won't hurt, thanks :)
    DopeItUp wrote: »

Mine too :/ I mean massage does seem to help (while I'm massaging).

• FunkenWagnel
    FunkenWagnel Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I think if it works for you, go for it. It definitely gives me some relief
  • rt1968
    rt1968 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Warm up and stretch before and after every workout. Time is a healer so don't work the same body part back to back. For supplements you can take L Glutamine 1000 mg to help with soreness. Rollers are good but depends on your level of fitness, time commitment etc.....
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    i warm up with core exercises and do recovery in jacuzzi+ sauna.works for me.
  • mink_deville
    mink_deville Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    foam rollling really helps. You can buy them cheaply and just a few minutes a day will give your muscles a good work out. It hurts a bit but it's a necessary evil and a massive injury preventor.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,515 Member
    Options
    I warm up with dynamic stretches and a few jumping jacks or something similar. After workout I do static stretches as my back myscles will cramp up and hurt otherwise and I'd need a pile ofassages to get moving again. It's nice but stretching works better.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I lift heavy and cant end a workout without stretching properly during cooldown, or im in massive pain the next day, with limited range of motion and tight sore muscles, and can't perform as well.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    but Im also old - so maybe it's different for me.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    Same
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Stretching helps maintain mobility as muscles rebuild (foam rolling also helps in this area). Proper nutrition, good sleep and time off are all necessary for good recovery.