Timothy Ferriss - The 4 Hour Body

Options
Has anyone else read this? If so what are your thoughts?

I have just started reading it after loving his last book but just wanted to know what people thought of the information and feedback.

Much love

x

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    21 pounds in 30 days is ridiculous and won't be all fat, it will include the loss of water and ever so important muscle mass. Besides this, you'd be eating about 500 calories a day, I'm sure, and become cranky and hangry.

Please reconsider. Eat at a moderate calorie deficit and you will lose weight. There are no magic diets or quick fixes.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    21 pounds in 30 days is ridiculous and won't be all fat, it will include the loss of water and ever so important muscle mass. Besides this, you'd be eating about 500 calories a day, I'm sure, and become cranky and hangry.

Please reconsider. Eat at a moderate calorie deficit and you will lose weight. There are no magic diets or quick fixes.

OMG no!!

They shouldn't even be allowed to publish such a risky weight loss plan ...500 a day???

Wow

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Bad idea!
  • kxbrown27
    kxbrown27 Posts: 769 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/features/expert-reviews-timothy-ferriss-4-hour-body

This should say it all right here.
    Tim Ferriss is not a doctor, nutritionist, or scientist. He is a 33-year-old author and blogger.
    But if not...

The rules are simple (and likely familiar to anyone who has tried a low-carb diet): Avoid white bread, white rice, potatoes, and other white carbs.

Ferriss also says no to whole grains and steel-cut oats, which are often touted as healthy carbs due to their high fiber content. His rapid weight loss plan outlaws all fruit and dairy (except cottage cheese) and involves one “all-you-can-eat day” each week. Cottage cheese speeds fat loss, unlike other dairy products, which slow it, Ferriss writes.

Ferriss suggests eating the same small meals over and over and over again.

Sorry but this looks like a miserable way to live. I've lost 27 pounds by eating a variety of foods including fruit, potatoes and oatmeal. You can too.
  • bryant28408
    bryant28408 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Beware of things that sound so good and easy. You gained your weight over time and you can loose it over time. Stick with tried and true facts. I've dropped over 50 but it has taken time. A well balanced meal of foods you like, within your calories and some additional exercise will do the trick.
  • liannexxx
    liannexxx Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Yeh I guess it did all seem a bit too good to be true. What are your thoughts on the 6 meals a day at 200 calories though?
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    liannexxx wrote: »
    Yeh I guess it did all seem a bit too good to be true. What are your thoughts on the 6 meals a day at 200 calories though?

As long as you are in a calorie deficit it does not matter whether you 6 times a day or whether you eat once a day. CICO
  • kxbrown27
    kxbrown27 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I eat 5 times a day, sometimes 4, sometimes 6. Just do what you're comfortable with that day.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    He stole the phrase "slow carb" from me, and ruined it. B)

(that was a JOKE, in case the emoticon didn't make that clear. Though he did ruin the phrase)

Don't both with Ferriss. He's just another Dr. Oz Phenom.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I read it and tried it for a few days. Too many beans for me. It's not going to hurt you but it didn't suit my lifestyle and preferences.

And Ferriss is a nobody, for sure. Don't trust his Amazon reviews. He admits in his other book that he pays foreigners $1 per excellent review.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    The author in question is of dubious truthfulness. I would strongly encourage you not to take his advice on anything. He's all about "gaming the system" in any of his endeavors and he's quite proud of that.

While I'm sure he's very satisfied with his life, he's not anyone that I'd want someone I gave a damn about to emulate.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I read it and tried it for a few days. Too many beans for me. It's not going to hurt you but it didn't suit my lifestyle and preferences.

And Ferriss is a nobody, for sure. Don't trust his Amazon reviews. He admits in his other book that he pays foreigners $1 per excellent review.

Does he really? Wow. Lame.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I read his book and it is about "gaming the system" (nicely put Noel) It's about buying his book with his catchy title. I was duped :( and regretted buying his book.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Me too. I hope I checked out a library copy, but it was brand new and I don't remember now.

The gist of it, iirc, was 'eat beans, meat and guac bowls at Chipotle'. With a chapter on how to manually pleasure a woman, which I'm sure insured him dates for many years after. It warms my heart to see so many smart women here, so maybe not. :D
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,610 Member
    Options
    Bueller? Bueller? Bueller? The only Ferris that's noteworthy.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • ewhip17
    ewhip17 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Yeah I got about half way through the book and, in addition to the comments above that I agree with, I realized that it was not only an incredible hassle to eat that way but also completely and totally unsustainable. Dropped it in the pile of other ridiculous "diet" books I had. :wink:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Me too. I hope I checked out a library copy, but it was brand new and I don't remember now.

The gist of it, iirc, was 'eat beans, meat and guac bowls at Chipotle'. With a chapter on how to manually pleasure a woman, which I'm sure insured him dates for many years after. It warms my heart to see so many smart women here, so maybe not. :D

Dafuq??? Seriously? Sounds absurd. I read something of his via a library book download, but don't remember that silliness. I just remember him rationalizing his wine. :smile:
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Bueller? Bueller? Bueller? The only Ferris that's noteworthy.

SRSLY.

Gawd, I don't think I'd want to be within 50 ft of him or his book.
  • ewhip17
    ewhip17 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    It seriously is that absurd. I read a sizeable portion of it on my front porch on Halloween night a couple of years ago. The irony of that now seems obvious.
  • liannexxx
    liannexxx Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Hahahahahaha these comments are epic thanks guys. I will take it as err not worth reading but I might change to the 6 meals per day at 200 calories as it will stop my need for snacking if I meal prep better. Thanks for the funny comments though. x