ways to jump starts metabolism with an underactive thyroid?

Hi all, I am new here. My name is Aimee and I am 36 year old. I found out that I had an underactive thyroid when I was pregnant with my daughter, she is now 8. I have been on medication for it since and was maintaining a healthy weight until having my son 10 months ago. I gained 60 pound while pregnant with him, I have lost 30 and still have 30 to go to get back down to my original weight. I am finding my thyroid to be an issue, I get tired and I lack motivation. Any ideas on how to get my energy level up? I always feel better after exercising but its making that first move thats hard.

Replies

• LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited January 2015
    How recently have you had bloodwork? Pregnancy can make your thyroid go wonky again. You never know, you may need a meds adjustment.

Do you have Hashi's? That can cause (further) problems as it is generally progressive. Actual damage is being done.

I have Hashi's and am on meds. I don't need any more drastic a calorie deficit than a person without Hashi's who is my height, weight, age and activity level. Start off with what MFP recommends and then if things aren't moving along, you can start to make adjustments. :)
  • LAWoman72
    edited January 2015
  • LAWoman72
    edited January 2015
    Oops, dupe post.
  • Hello I think you need another blood test as it sounds as if your levels are to low. It took some time before the doctor got my level right,
    diet does work but as you have found out it takes longer.
    I am also going gluten free and it seems to be working well.
  • Thank you. I have my blood tested every few months and just had it tested. i do not have hashi, just an underactive thyroid. i have never been this heavy in my life (180 pounds) I am 5'7. I old my weight in my belly.