What is the right type of diet for you ?

Options
For people who struggle to lose weight, the article below suggests understanding your eating habits, and then choosing a diet which makes it easier for you to maintain a calorie deficit.

This is not questioning calories in vs. calories out, or saying one diet is better than other. Rather it is about helping people find a diet that works for them.

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-30709297

Replies

• zenner22
    zenner22 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    This was interesting. Thanks for posting it. :)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Yes, I was prepared to dislike the article because I somewhat disapprove of all specific diets, but I quite liked it. Figuring out what will work for you requires some thought about why you gained, what you difficulties are likely to be, personality type and so on. That's why I dislike cookie cutter advice like eat 6 mini meals, also.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Very interesting article, I like how they addressed the behavioral aspects of weight loss and made the connections. I too was prepared to dislike it, but found it really thought provoking.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    That's interesting, but I'm not sure which of the three categories I fall into, if at all. I see myself as more of a bored eater. I often eat because it gives me something to do. Except when I'm cutting calories, I'm never hungry, and if I get busy doing something, I will sometimes forget to eat.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    That is a good article. I think it would be great for all those who post here asking what worked for others to read this.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I came out with a 36/33/31 split, not surprised. I agree that every person should find a way of eating that suits them, and that will not necessarily mean a readymade diet.

Their take on fat's role in satiety is interesting. Can't say I agree there.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Good article, but I agree with Timothy, I don't think any of those three categories really describes me properly. While I have fallen prey to emotional eating or feasting in the past, and I've had the odd constant crave day here and there, none of those really were all that frequent for me.

I think mostly I'd overeat because I made snacking a habit -- that hand-to-mouth motion while sitting at the computer or TV didn't seem to come with an "off" switch. I also think I'd eat too much chocolate, sugar and junk food because, well, simply put, I enjoyed it. If you like cake and it tastes good, you naturally want more of it. And I didn't seem to associate eating with hunger, so feeling full wasn't a reason to stop.

I've solved it by replacing old habits with new ones. If snacking and eating a whole bag of cookies were habit before, now I just eat what's in my meal plan and I enjoy the one cookie I allow myself more.