Need to lose weight to have children

Options
Hello! My name is Suzanne I am 26, 5"7 and weigh 12.2st. Me and my partner have been trying for a child now since March 2014.

We recently went to the doctors who after numerous tests and scans diagnosed me with Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS).

My first thought was that I would never be able to have children until he talked us through the various options for treatment. I am now on medication, but he also told me that general exercise and healthy eating can help increase my chances of having children.

Please can you lovely people on MFP help me by keeping me motivated.

Replies

• wheezeybouncer
    wheezeybouncer Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    hi sweetie. feel free to shoot me a FR I was told at your age that I was too big to have kids (I was also heavier than you by 3st) but here I am several years later with 3 little monkeys to prove the drs wrong ;)
  • suzannehoward2001
    Options
    Thank you wheezeybouncer, great name by the way, I have sent you a friend request
  • ElphieTMoLM
    ElphieTMoLM Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm 15st and am meeting with a new dr. this month to check on PCOS. I've sent you a friend request. Hopefully we can help each other meet our goals.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    POF sufferer here (premature ovarian failure). I was 220lbs when diagnosed. My only hope of having a child of my own was invitro but I was told in no uncertain terms that I had to lose weight before I would be considered for IVF. Long story short, I lost 90lbs and we now have a healthy 4 year old boy. It was a long hard road but worth every single moment. If that isn't motivation, I don't know what is.

Good luck to you with both your weight loss and your journey to have a family. It's a tough journey, but you can do it.
  • hannahannabell
    hannahannabell Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hey I'm in a similar boat! I need to loose weight to have fertility treatment would be happy to help you on your journey to motherhood x
  • amy8619
    Options
    Hi lovely ladies. I have an 18 month old daughter after loosing weight for fertility treatment but once started loosing the weight I fell naturally. I also have ovarian cysts a bloody nitemare. I am now well overweight again and would love to keep extending my family. Never went back on contraception after my daughter so I truly believe the weight loss is the best key as hard as it is. So let's go ladies. Pls add me and let's make dreams come true big hugs xxx
  • suzannehoward2001
    Options
    Hey ladies thanks for all your lovely messages. I have a check up at the doctors next month so hopefully I'll get some possitive news!
    I wish you all the best in your new healthy lifestyles.