HELP!!!!

Options
I've been doing so good this week... (I just started seven days ago.) Today, however, I didn't do well at all! I couldn't seem to get enough to eat. Just wanted to munch, munch, munch. I did eat just fruits and veggies, but I felt horrible! Why, today of all days, did I have that urge? Does anyone else have that problem? Where you just can't seem to get full? Is this a common thing when you start a diet or watching your calories? Is this just a phase that will pass? If it is, what do you do to get it to go away, where you don't decide you just have to have that food! Please, anyone who can help or give any advice.... I need help!

Replies

• donnabromley
    Options
    We.all have days like that hun. Draw a line under it and start the next day afresh. Tomorrow is a new day. The odd few days when u dont stop eating dont matter as ling as u get back on the wagon the next day....dont let it beat u....chin up hun x
  • Local_Atlantis
    Local_Atlantis Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Hi there!

One day is not going to impact you at all, so try not to beat yourself up too much. If you are getting urges to binge, you may need to look at your diary and ensure that you are in fact eating enough. Try not to deprive yourself of the foods you like - there is no such thing as a bad food, as long as you eat it in moderation and it fits into your calories :smile:

If you think it is emotional bingeing that you are getting urges for, you may find some help here: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/726-binge-eating-support-group

It is full of like-minded people who are all going through the same thing. Hope that helps. Good luck! Enjoy yourself - it needs to be sustainable for it to be successful! :smile:
  • sjgoos
    sjgoos Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Oh thank you!!! Umm what do you do when you get that feeling? Is there a trick to beating it, or do you just sometimes have to succumb to the urge, but not go overboard?
  • SashaMegan
    SashaMegan Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    You will have ups and downs, especially ifyou just started. Don't beat yourself up, you can do this!
    When I get that urge usually I make something to distract myself for 5-10minutes. If I still want to eat something, then I have a light snack because I guess it means I'm hungry. But most of times I just forget that I wanted that piece of chocolate bar ;)
  • donnabromley
    Options
    I emotional eat all the time...its a pain a really big circle. I over eat coz I feel bad but then I feel worse when ive done it. Try having a really large glass of water or juice that sometimes helps x
  • Beanogirl
    Beanogirl Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I drink lots of water when I feel like this.
  • sjgoos
    Options
    Thank you so much ladies!!! I will take your advice to heart. It is really hard for me, because I don't have anyone I can talk to about this, and am embarrassed about it too... I just don't want to make too many mistakes.
  • Local_Atlantis
    Local_Atlantis Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I recommend that you add some friends. You can add me if you like. :smile: If you have no-one to talk to about it, and you are here for a lifestyle change, having a group of pals on your friend list for support as and when has really made the difference for me!

As for beating the cravings, I drink water to fill my stomach up, and have some minty chewing gum. It gives me the illusion of eating, and it makes the craving feeling go away - nobody likes ruining the minty freshness! :smile:
    Or, even better, is if I pre-plan my day to include a little treat! That way, I find that I don't even HAVE cravings! :smile:
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    This could happen for a variety of reasons - are you exercising? Sometimes a change in routine, lifting heavier weights. TOM, or perhaps the quality of your food has been lacking. Make sure you are getting fiber and protein! Also, remember water is an excellent thing to go to when you think you are hungry but not too sure.
    -
    - Since you are new in this journey, make sure you are eating enough. Many people start at 1200 calories per day, and wonder why you are hungry (you are more than likely not eating enough).
    -
    - I know for myself, I had a time where it was just getting used to the MENTAL aspect of eating. You really need to distinguish between actual hunger (physical hunger (belly rumbing, growling)) VS Mental Hunger "I am bored, I could eat."
    -
    - Start to identify these feelings (lonliness, bordom, fear, anxiety, whatever) and manage that in a healthy way (No food or drugs!)
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    might be a sign that your calorie goal is too low during the week? there are so many reasons this could happen, it's pretty hard to figure out when we are this removed from the equation.

What do you think it might be? Don't belittle your own insight here!
  • doomspark
    doomspark Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me as a friend. I'll cheer your progress and commiserate as necessary.
  • sjgoos
    Options
    I have a feeling I was too low on my calories this past week. I messed up today, and went over. Really need to have a more varied menu other than fruits and veggies...
  • fearlessleader104
    fearlessleader104 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Eat what you used to eat but less of it. Too many changes at once usually cause people to quit.
    It's all about calories in vs calories out when it comes to weight loss
  • sjgoos
    Options
    Yeah I figured that out today. I really have just been going for fruits and veggies with little else to go with it, and wound up eating too much today. I need to add more variety in my food so I don't do this again.