What if I go over on Sugar or Fat but stay within my deficit?

Options

Replies

• prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Walk before you run. Just worry about calories. As time goes on and you learn more, you can integrate macro specific elements to your diet. I believe one of the reasons people fail early is because they are overwhelmed with information the is not all that important, at least to begin with.
  • besee_2000
    besee_2000 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I agree with prattiger65 though. Start somewhere. Take note how YOUR diet is working for you. If it works, awesome keep to it. If it doesn't, look back at your tracking and experiment with the macros. There are so many varieties of foods with different body types with different hormones and dna make-up. I just know I am addicted to sugar and the smallest calcium chew sets me off to eat more sugar foods that kept me in a vicious hANGRY cycle. Your story may be different.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Just getting started here. Never realized how hard it is to keep the sugar down> Its in everything from my breakfast smoothie to the peas I ate for dinner. Anyway, I aim to keep the fat intake around the goal number, but sugar will be hard. What if I am consistently going over- will I still lose weight? Are the goals for each thing being tracked for optimal weight loss? Such as protein - I didn't get nearly enough of that today. How will that affect my weight loss goals?

Doesn't matter when it comes to weight loss. Calories in/calories out is what matters.
  • jenglish712
    jenglish712 Posts: 497 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I swear a bat-signal with a sugar packet on it lights up the night sky when someone mentions sugar and an assortment of heroes and villains show up.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I swear a bat-signal with a sugar packet on it lights up the night sky when someone mentions sugar and an assortment of heroes and villains show up.

lol so true @jenenglish712 . I wonder if this thread will get to 38 pages??

• mscheftg
    mscheftg Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Hehehe
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    Walk before you run. Just worry about calories. As time goes on and you learn more, you can integrate macro specific elements to your diet. I believe one of the reasons people fail early is because they are overwhelmed with information the is not all that important, at least to begin with.

I agree with this! Macros probably matter, but I have had great success and never worried about them at all.

In my humble opinion, attention to anything other than calories when you are starting out is unnecessary. When you reach your goals and really want to take things to the next level, then mess around with macros. Keep things simple and focus on eating a consistent deficit. Things will work out for ya
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    besee_2000 wrote: »
    There is more to just calories in vs calories out. You should be concerned of sugar. Eating 500 cal of sugar vs 500 cal of complex carbs and fiber are not the same for your gut. Sugar increases insulin production. Insulin places the excess calories to fat storage. Those that go on low carb diets can eat a lot of calories without storing anything to fat. "Good" sugar vs "bad" sugar is also controversial. I would suggest "Good Calories, Bad Calories" by Gary Taubes. It changes your mind about fats and carbs.
    A caloric surplus will lead to fat gain. Not just sugar. Low carb doesn't mean you don't gain weight. Have a caloric surplus on low carb and you gain fat. I'm not sure you understand how insulin works. Actually, I'm sure you don't.

Taubes, I don't thinknow so

To be fair, Taubes doesn't understand how insulin works, either. You can't blame someone for not understanding when they get their info from a guy who doesn't know what he's talking about.
  • Liz4J
    Liz4J Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    So much great information on this thread! I am consistenly over on my carbs by 10% and under my calorie goal and came looking for info. I'm just starting out so I wasn't sure whether I needed to be overly concerned about this just yet.
    Good luck to all!!
  • clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    There is more to just calories in vs calories out. You should be concerned of sugar. Eating 500 cal of sugar vs 500 cal of complex carbs and fiber are not the same for your gut. Sugar increases insulin production. Insulin places the excess calories to fat storage. Those that go on low carb diets can eat a lot of calories without storing anything to fat. "Good" sugar vs "bad" sugar is also controversial. I would suggest "Good Calories, Bad Calories" by Gary Taubes. It changes your mind about fats and carbs.

Making this statement on Myfitnesspal is like Galileo stating that the earth was not flat in the 15th century. You are a heretic, and must be burned at the stake.
    Did you stop in to finally provide some links to claims you make?

Try this one. But you won't even read it because you have a closed mind that says, without a shadow of a doubt, that a 200-calorie Twinkie = 200 calories of veggies.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/02/health/low-carb-vs-low-fat-diet.html

good thing I don't do low carb or low fat :) so that would be a fail on both accounts... and I did read it lol
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

Making this statement on Myfitnesspal is like Galileo stating that the earth was not flat in the 15th century. You are a heretic, and must be burned at the stake.
    Did you stop in to finally provide some links to claims you make?

Try this one. But you won't even read it because you have a closed mind that says, without a shadow of a doubt, that a 200-calorie Twinkie = 200 calories of veggies.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/02/health/low-carb-vs-low-fat-diet.html

http://nutrevolve.blogspot.com/2014/09/re-effects-of-low-carbohydrate-and-low.html
    FTA:
    "What you can't say based on this study:
    1. A calorie isn't a calorie - It's not a highly controlled metabolic ward study or an inpatient study, and individuals weren't even instructed to count calories, so you can't say a calorie isn't a calorie. We have plenty of highly controlled studies (6,7,8, 9) and they largely demonstrate that calories count (The more scholarly questions relates to how macronutrient metabolism affects body composition - much more research is needed here)."
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    It's all about the deficit, for weight loss.
  • Paul_Collyer
    Paul_Collyer Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    My experience is that weight loss rate is better when you pay more attention to macros once you get to a point where you are closer to your ideal weight. I recently reduced sugar and carbs and it has worked rather well so far.