How to reduce my Sodium intake?

Options
Hey Friends.
Started on MFP on January 1st, feel I'm doing pretty good tracking my food but have noticed my sodium is over my ideal intake, any suggestions on how to keep it in check?
I'm certainly not adding ANY salt to my food, so what's the deal?

Replies

• kkram_
    kkram_ Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Try and cut down or eliminate processed foods, that should help!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Most people do not need to worry about salt.

If you do want to reduce salt, cook a few meals each week using fresh ingredients -- those that do not come out of a box or can.
  • rustypep
    rustypep Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Avoid eating out, cut out deli meats, breads, most cheeses, Italian food, salted nuts, and most sauces especially bbq and ketchup. Anything coming in a box or processed. Even breakfast bars and instant oatmeal can be high in sodium. You can still eat these things some of the time but don't combine them all in one day. When you eat a sandwich there are higher levels of sodium in the meats, cheeses, breads, and sauces individually. Put them together in a sandwich and it becomes a sodium bomb. If you eat canned veggies, they do have some that are low sodium but you have to hunt for them. If you rinse them before cooking you can eliminate a third of the sodium but fresh is definitely best. Some frozen varieties are also low in sodium. I make a lot of smoothies so I freeze fresh carrot, snap peats, and all my fruits and blend it in small amounts over the day. The hardest for me was pizza, breads and Italian food in general plus pretzels. It takes a while to reduce your pallet for it but it will pay off and you will retain less water and weight. You also won't be thirsty as often. Good luck!
  • Sydking
    Sydking Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Whats wrong with salt if you have no issues that warrants a low sodium diet

If you drink plenty of water and train your *kitten* off you need salt
  • stevegray74
    stevegray74 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanx peeps! The problem with sodium for me anyway is a family history of heart disease, "like, very high risk"! I'm pretty good at staying away from processed foods, starting to cut down on the bread products they seem to have lots of sodium. I do like my cheese and crackers though!.... thanx again for all the tips and keep 'em coming.