Do you count the calories of oil left over in frying pan?

Options
Ok, I made a fried egg, I used 2 tablespoons of sunflower oil which was around 250 calories once taking the egg out there was a lot of excess oil in the pan.. I was wondering if all the 250 calories from the oil first placed into the pan absorbs into the egg or some remains?

Sounds like a silly question but was wondering!!!

Replies

• Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    I count it. I find I use a lot less oil now. :D
  • Morgaen73
    Morgaen73 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    I count it as well. I figuere it makes up for the other stuff that I dont have 100% correct nutritional information for.
  • piningforapples3
    Options
    I count it. Then, if there is something that totals 260, or 310, I can just round down, to make a nicer number.
  • Docbanana2002
    Docbanana2002 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I might not count all of it since I didn't eat it. But I also don't use that much oil in cooking. I just use enough to get the job done, no more. I'd rather spend those calories on actual food.
  • melaniefave41
    melaniefave41 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Personal preference. I don't get too exact with my calories in or calories out, so unless it is going to make a big difference in the rest of my day, I wouldn't change what I've already logged. Btw, lovely choice of oil.
  • Ishii19
    Ishii19 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I decided to count a tbsp of olive oil whenever I cook. More than that goes into the pan but not all onto my plate. It's not exact but I'm not trying to make myself crazy measuring every time - I just decided if I find I'm not losing when I think I should be I'll look closer at those types of things but it's been working for the last 30lbs ;)
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I just count it. If I put 1 teaspoon, I log 1 teaspoon - regardless if it all comes out of the pan.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    I count it all, or if I'm making a shared meal in the pan, whatever fraction of it is "mine" vs. hubby's or kids'. But 2 Tbsp. is a lot of oil for just one egg. Even with my "regular" cookware, if I use a small pan for just one or two eggs, I only need 1 teaspoon of oil. Then it's only 40 calories, and it doesn't matter if I don't actually consume every drop of it or not.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    I would count what you put into the pan.

But I also don't use practically any oil when cooking. I will spray the pan if needed, but usually I just fry my egg with zero oil.

Consider cutting back on the amount of oil you're using. I agree with PP that 2 tablespoons is a lot of oil for one egg.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    2 tbsp is a lot of oil for 1 fried egg. Don't use so much oil if it's not getting used up in the cooking process.

I use 1 tsp of olive oil in all skillet dishes. I count 1 tsp in my diary, regardless of what is left in the pan. Generally, food will have some fat/oil/water come off of it while cooking (I'm lookin' at you, tofu), so it's not like you can guarantee that 100% of what's left in the pan is the original oil.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    You could measure what was leftover and subtract that amount in calories.
  • Slimpossible007
    Slimpossible007 Posts: 16,298 Member
    Options
    I poach the egg that means I save the cals on the oil :)
  • Shirl235
    Shirl235 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I dry fry mine in a good non stick pan :)
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,953 Member
    Options
    Yes I count it.
    Next time, try not to use so much oil. I just use a non-stick pan and no oil.
  • Want2bthin135
    Want2bthin135 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I count it, and cut down on the oil next time.
  • tisaria
    tisaria Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Get a misto sprayer. They sell them at Target, Ross, and a bunch of places online for $7-$10. It's a DIY cooking oil sprayer. Check out here:

target.com/p/misto-aluminum-bottle-oil-sprayer/-/A-13997372?ref=tgt_adv_XSG10001&AFID=google_pla_df&LNM=13997372&CPNG=Kitchen&kpid=13997372&LID=26pgs&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=13997372&kpid=13997372&gclid=CjwKEAiA_s2lBRCe1YPXxtSe-DcSJACCIh3LFYmkM4u9ewNLwlMs7Yj-oU7WJibX0V2Z6vsFB4O8xxoCIIbw_wcB

You put whatever oil you want in it, pump it a few times to prime it and presto! Spray oil to evenly coat your pan, and you use way less than 2 tbsp, saving you oil and cals :D
  • Slinky_BraveHeartBunsOfSteel
    Options
    Morgaen73 wrote: »
    I count it as well. I figuere it makes up for the other stuff that I dont have 100% correct nutritional information for.
    quite right! :)