Healthy recipes for a family of picky eaters

Options
dont_give_up
dont_give_up Posts: 312 Member
I have a total of 8 people living in my house, 3 of them being teenagers, one that will be a teenager in 2 months and an 8 year old. During dinner I am cooking several different things because not all of us like the same thing unless it is spaghetti, mexican food, burgers, pizza or hot dogs.

If anyone has any suggestions for some healthy recipes I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you!

Replies

• kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I'd say the new rule is "What I make everyone eats and if you don't like it, make something else". It's too hard to juggle eating right and having to make several things to satisfy several people.

But then again, it's just me and my BF in our household and he knows that if he doesn't like what I make he can get his lazy butt in the kitchen and make something he wants.

I'd suggest going onto websites like "Skinnytaste" and "Kayln's Kitchen" to get ideas that everyone will like. All the recipes are easy to follow and typically don't require much time, since it doesn't seem like you have much! LOL
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    wow that's a handful. Tough to please everyone in my family of 4 much less a family of 8.

All of the above items can be healthy when made properly. there are more pastas out there now many of which are partially made from vegetables and other types of grains which can still make pasta a healthy choice instead of just plain wheat pasta.

Pizza can be super healthy and delicious too with the right ingredients. doesn't have to all be pepperoni and cheese.

With so many people have you sat down with everyone together to try to come up with some ideas? How about challenging your kids to make a healthy meal and/or making cooking a family event one or twice a week where everyone gets involved.
  • lmann72
    lmann72 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    We have three kiddos with two being teenagers. Our 13 year old is the most challenging but 'healthy' can be Mexican ( tacos for him, taco salad for us) Spaghetti and meatballs ( regular pasta for the kids , spaghetti squash for us). Stir fry with veggies that we all like ( and if its one he does't like, he picks it out). Cheesesteaks for the kids - we use the meat and veggies over rice. It can be done, it just requires balance.
  • Mantha18
    Mantha18 Posts: 25 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I have to agree with the previous posters:
    trying to limit the different meals but varying them so you can have healthier aspects.

And (as another poster said) those meals can definitely be made healthier...hopefully so everyone can still enjoy them. We make our own pizzas at home. We use dough mix just because it soooo much quicker but we make it really thin and only use enough cheese to coat (i use reduced fat cheese as well) and use healthy toppings (this could be good with many teenagers in the house as they can pick their own toppings/make it themselves. I use chicken, ham, peppers, onion, toms, herbs and tom puree for the base and half an 8" pizza is only around 250kcal with a lot of protein. Every my fiance's bbq chicken and pulled pork (with a ton of extra mature cheese) is only around 450kcal!

edited due to typo
  • dlynneexo
    Options
    I am a super picky eater and my father always went by the "if you don't like it don't eat it " rule. Being older and and still just as picky I usually stick to the basics , grilled chicken , ground turkey , tuna and veggies and some pasta . There's tons of stuff you can make from any of the above .
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Nearly any meal can be reduced in fat, sugar, and salt to be made healthier.

I have one fussy eater to cater to. Sometimes he gets what he wants, sometimes he must demonstrate a little adventure. I try new recipes, make notes how I adjusted them, and flag the successes for a repeat.
    • I recently switched out turkey meatballs in our spaghetti. Big hit. We'll be doing that again.
    • I choose hot dogs (I love hot dogs; have them a couple times a month) based on sodium and fat content. Often the cheapest are the lowest in fat and sodium!
    • Try skinny buns to reduce carbohydrates.
    • I've slowly switched our weekend breakfasts. Gone is bacon and syrup; added is greek yogurt and fruit. The pancakes are high fiber pumpkin protein.
    • I have a salad ready to go in the fridge, easy access. No excuses.
    • I made a slow cooker sweet and sour chicken recipe this weekend. Home cooking means I could control the ingredients. This was also a big hit.
    • White rice is replaced with whole wheat Basmati rice.
    • Try adding lentils to the spaghetti sauce. Barely noticeable and adds fiber.
    • Replace sour cream with low-fat greek yogurt.
    • I used spices, onion, and garlic to slowly overtake the salt.
    • If they like their chicken and fish breaded and fried, try breaded and baked. Panko crumbs are lovely.

Could your fussy eaters get a designated day of the week? That way everyone gets a little attention, and the others are exposed to new foods/experiences. You should get a designated night, too!

Come to think of it, your teens could PREPARE the food on their designated day, too.
  • dettles
    dettles Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    @ ignatca - how does your family like the whole wheat basmati rice? Is it grainy? Does it take long to cook? Thanks!
  • dont_give_up
    dont_give_up Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your help! Some of these sound delicious! Can't wait to try them!
  • amw1919
    amw1919 Posts: 74 Member
    Options

I'd suggest going onto websites like "Skinnytaste" and "Kayln's Kitchen" to get ideas that everyone will like. All the recipes are easy to follow and typically don't require much time, since it doesn't seem like you have much! LOL

I agree. Skinnytaste is AMAZING and completely changed the way I cook when I got the cookbook as a gift. I also use some of the recipes on the website. Generally the recipes are for 4-5 people so just double them! Always easy ingredients and don't take long to prepare.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    We prepare certain dishes buffet style. So tonight we will be having pancakes for supper. I will have a stack of pancakes on the table, as well as butter, syrup, fresh fruit, OJ, and yogurt (go-gurts for the little kids) All on the table. Everyone can grab and fix their plates according to their taste.

Taco night at my house-
    Tortillas, Tortilla chips, cheese, salsa, sour cream, olives, corn,lettuce, beans, assemble however you see fit. My son eats chips/cheese and corn, my daughter has chips, beans, and lettuce with sour cream. My husband makes himself 2 big bean burritos, and I make myself a taco salad.

• melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    If what I have prepared is totally out the realm of the possible for my kids to eat, they can have a bowl of cereal with milk, a "cold plate" of cheese/nuts/crackers/dried fruit, or a sandwich. They can make those items themselves.

What matters to me is that we are together. I dont care if our food does not match.
  • dlvuyovich
    dlvuyovich Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    My Mom made everything in two flavors, "Take it or leave it" None of us went hungry.
    Good luck!