protien, protien, protien!

Options
I need more protein in my diet for how much lifting I do. What are your favorite easy on the go protein packed foods?! :)

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    beef jerky, quest bar, can of tuna, cottage cheese
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Lifting doesn't call on protein for energy - it's anaerobic. It needs glycogen because you are stressing the muscles in a short period of time. Protein is the last thing used by the body for fuel. After carbohydrates and fat.
  • ThatFitChick20
    ThatFitChick20 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    See.. I did not know that! Thank you for informing me :)
  • kevinmacpa
    kevinmacpa Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    If you are lifting weight, then it means you want to build some muscle for more calorie burn and better body shape. To repair the muscle breakdown from the liftings you did, you need protein. Take 1 gram of protein for each lbs of your body weight, the rest of your daily calories can come from fat and carbs.

Tuna, chicken breast, ground turkey are all good protein sources just to name a few. If you don't have time to prepare, you can also try whey protein powder shakes.
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    cheese strings,mini babybel,mini pepperamis are my on-the-go protein snacks.
    during longer workouts i also take a protein shake into gym with me.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    protein protein protein!

i swear by jerky and protein powder when Im hitting that macro best - just watch the sodium
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Cold cooked chicken!
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    if you need to supplement then like already said whey protein, also might consider casein protein before you go to bed. a much slower absorbing protein
  • tennisdude2004
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Lifting doesn't call on protein for energy - it's anaerobic. It needs glycogen because you are stressing the muscles in a short period of time. Protein is the last thing used by the body for fuel. After carbohydrates and fat.

The body calls on protein for lifting for repairing muscle! If it cannot breakdown protein for this the body will cannibalize lean mass instead!

Also unless you have any pre-existing kidney issue, it's very hard to overdo the protein, however 0.8 - 1g of protein per 1lb of lean mass, should be more than enough. in your diet.
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    You do need protein to build muscle, that was what I thought you were talking about. Eggs, chicken, beef, Whey protein powder.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    I grill 10 + lbs of chicken a week. Easy sandwich. Easy fajitas. Beef jerky.
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options

The body calls on protein for lifting for repairing muscle! If it cannot breakdown protein for this the body will cannabis lean mass instead!

Also unless you have any pre-existing kidney issue, it's very hard to overdo the protein, however 0.8 - 1g of protein per 1lb of lean mass, should be more than enough. in your diet.

this, if you are shredding fat especially you need extra protein
  • EmmieBaby
    EmmieBaby Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    jerky, eggs, protein powder, chicken!
  • ksolksol
    ksolksol Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Grab and go -- turkey jerkey, mini-babybel lights, turkey lunchmeat, Swiss cheese slices and roasted, salted edamame.

If you have gluten issues this won't work, but I'm getting hooked on seitan for meals as a good source of protein.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    cannabis lean mass.

I sense the beginnings of a product idea.

Protein powder.
    Chicken breast strips.
    Eggs.
    Ziploc bags filled with cooked meat.
  • tennisdude2004
    edited January 2015
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    cannabis lean mass.

I sense the beginnings of a product idea.

Protein powder.
    Chicken breast strips.
    Eggs.
    Ziploc bags filled with cooked meat.

Thanks for the pick up on the spelling mistake!

I take it, it was just a pick up, as opposed to picking?
  • dbmata
    Options
    I have to say, I saw that and almost laughed. That means a lot for 6am... :)

Since it's legal in WA, I wonder if it can be used as a weight loss drug now. There has to be a way to isolate the mental state modification, and then pair with a hunger signal nullifier like ephedra.
  • jordyshaye
    jordyshaye Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    What about non-dairy sources? I
    Eating chicken, vegetarian protein powder, nut butters but am still not getting my macro split how I want it (protein dominant during my cut)
  • dbmata
    Options
    Meat is a non-dairy source.
  • allieallieoxenfree
    allieallieoxenfree Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt!