Diet coke can make you gain weight?!

Options
Thats what the research im looking at says. Which sucks cause im a total addict (up to 4 cans a day sometimes :blushing: ). Guess its time to lay off the stuff. Maybe ill lose some weight. Anyone else quit drinking diet sodas and lost weight because of it?

Replies

• stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Gave it up over 6 months ago!
  • jennylynn84
    jennylynn84 Posts: 659
    Options
    I don't buy this. The only explanation I've really gotten on diet coke making you gain weight is that it makes you crave other sweet food. So..... its Diet Coke's fault if you eat it?

I don't know. I'm just saying, I've lost almost 90 lbs since starting, I'm in maintenance and toning up mode and I've drank diet soda the WHOLE time.
  • heatherfrancis
    Options
    I just went from 8 a day to 2....no weightloss :(
  • bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I don't know about weight- but I know that I am less bloated and feel better in my clothes without it. And I can imagine it only helps with my overall health and fitness (not drinking it, that is.)

I once drank about 1 McDonald's large each day- I know how one can feel about soda.

* If you are sodium sensitive- it may also lead to water weight loss if you kick soda.
  • julielynnc
    julielynnc Posts: 14
    Options
    They have recently debunked the whole "Artificial sweeteners make you crave more sugar" myth. It's just not true. No, diet coke won't make you gain weight. It's not the best choice you could make over a glass of water because of the chemicals and coloring, but it's not going to pack on the pounds.
  • julielynnc
    julielynnc Posts: 14
    Options
    double post
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Most nutritional studies don't actually look at cause and effect, just correlation. People who tend to drink lots of diet soda, tend to do other things that aren't nutritionally wise (like cave to those sweet cravings that artificial sweeteners can trigger), therefore they tend to gain weight. This does not mean that the soda in and of itself causes the weight gain.
  • timeforme23
    timeforme23 Posts: 461
    Options
    well thats a relief
  • Kaye8395BTS
    Kaye8395BTS Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I believe IF it is true then it's the sodium's fault and what others said about nutrition that follows and whatnot. I gave it up cold turkey when I first started my journey and since then I have moderated myself to a limited amount (2 a day) - but I can fully admit I can kill a 2 liter without a blink of an eye, so don't feel bad!

I grew up on on the stuff unfortunately, almost everyone is my family has been or was once addicted to it - my SIL calls it "diet crack" - I DO crave it! I've kept it to a steady 24 oz a day on days I track and on days I don't track I don't really pay attention. I use it as a "reward" once I have had ALL my WATER and I've learned to "fit" in the sodium to my daily goals etc etc. It is all about moderation.

ALTHOUGH! If you were to research what is IN Diet Coke or things it can "clean" it might make you sick and never drink it again. Unfortunately I am moderately aware of it and STILL drink it! :: addict for life::