Map My Walk

Options
I was just wondering if anyone else uses this app? When I use this app I feel like it says I burned a lot more calories than if I had used my treadmill (to tell me the speed I walked) and then entered the info via MFP. Just wondering if I am the only one? it may also be the treadmill I use not displaying an accredit speed (it is older so not out of the question)?

Replies

• mrsgoochy
    mrsgoochy Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I do when I walk outside in the Summer - I really liked it because I got to challenge myself to beat my own time. Plus, with the accuracy of GPS nowadays, I'd go with the app.
  • gkauf744
    gkauf744 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I find it easier to walk/run faster on the ground than on the treadmill. I don't exactly know why.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    It takes elevation change in to account. I find it to be pretty accurate. I've been using it almost 2 years.
  • KJoubert1966
    Options
    I use Runkeeper to map my walks and hikes.
  • mrsgoochy
    mrsgoochy Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    gkauf744 wrote: »
    I find it easier to walk/run faster on the ground than on the treadmill. I don't exactly know why.

I know it's more enjoyable! Scenary with no handlebars and fresh air?! What more could you ask for? ( besides beautiful weather to walk in year round)

• SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Elevation
  • CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I've been tracking my calories burned using a pedometer for years, and then tried Map My Hike (or walk, whatever), and felt that it overestimated my calories burned by A LOT, like over twice as many. I don't sync the app with MFP, I enter my exercise separately, and almost always enter about 1/3 of the calories the Map My XXX calculates.
  • Kgerber777
    Kgerber777 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    thanks for the info =)
  • Marianna93637
    Marianna93637 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I use Mapmyrun, and i think it's the same thing. I hardly run anyways, I always walk, and you can use it for both.
    I like it overall but it's frustrating that I walk in a straight line, yet it shows I'm walking in a wavy or zigazag-type pattern, which I know adds more calories to it. It synchs my workout to MFP, but I usually delete it and reenter it with a lower speed. For example when I walk fast, it's about 4 mph, but it says I walked 5 mph, which I know is not true. So I enter the minutes and the speed I know is correct.
    But overall I still use it because I don't know of any other that would be better.
  • richsimps
    richsimps Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I do much the same - I do wonder if Map My Walk calculates on my weight/height and whether MFP does too.
    -For example, I walked to work this morning 4.1km in 41 minutes (3.7 miles per hour)
    The route is up and down hills and I am carrying a fair bit of weight
    MMW says I burnt 437 calories - seems high
    If I search MFP I find Walking brisk pace for 41 mins @ 3.5mph = 301 calories

I hope MMW is right!
  • blobby10
    blobby10 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I use MapMyRun (or mapometer) .co.uk for a couple of years, mainly to get the distance rather than calorie burn as I find them a little on the high side. However I suppose they are as accurate as any other method of calculation! I work on 80-100 cals per mile for running and 60-70 cals per mile for walking, both depending on how much effort I feel I've put in, how much I've sweated etc.
  • StraubreyR
    StraubreyR Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I use MapMyHike to track distance, but use a HRM to track calories burned. The app does overestimate calories burned by quite a bit, at least for me. This is true for walking/hiking and also for cycling.
  • nicoleyg
    nicoleyg Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I also use it and have found that there is a big discrepancy between MMW and MFP. I hope that MMW is accurate (It will make me feel a lot better). Sometimes I adjust the calories burned, but for the most part, I just let it sync with MFP.
  • sunseeker43
    Options
    I use MMW to calculate speed, time and distance. I let it sync with MFP, and the calories burned seem way to high. I take the info, (s, t ,d) and plug it in to get MFP calories burned and then delete the 'synced' amount from MMW
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Kgerber777 wrote: »
    I was just wondering if anyone else uses this app? When I use this app I feel like it says I burned a lot more calories than if I had used my treadmill (to tell me the speed I walked) and then entered the info via MFP. Just wondering if I am the only one? it may also be the treadmill I use not displaying an accredit speed (it is older so not out of the question)?

All the MapMyFitness apps are inaccurate. If you email them they will send you a complicated way to recalibrate it, but they obviously haven't done anything to correct it.

Get a pedometer instead for steps or use an activity tracker, although activity trackers are pretty optimistic about how much you burn as well. The technology is still not really there.
  • Linda6580
    Linda6580 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I thought this to be the case at first too. I started wearing my HRM when I went on the walks and found out that they were pretty darn close! Only about 5 calories plus or minus for difference.
  • mauigyrl
    mauigyrl Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I use my hrm.
  • ShaDucky
    ShaDucky Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I use mapmyrun, I just override the calories before I finish my entry. I don't want to eat my calories, or have them looking at me as an option lol, tried that, didn't work for me. Anyway, I just put a flat 10 calories per half hour, just a silly number, but a number. I find it tracks pretty accurately, I've not noticed the zigzag thing.