Do I Really Need A Rest Day?

I recently brushed the dirt off my treadmill & started interval training 4 days ago. As of this morning I'm down 6lbs. I'm basically just jogging /running until I can't talk comfortably (usually no more than 2min) then I walk for about 5min. I do that for 20-25 min then I'm done.
I was reading an article today & it says that there should be a rest day every other day. I googled the topic of running everyday & most of the results say don't do it.
Does the little running I'm doing require a rest day? I'm afraid I'll lose my groove like I've done so many times before. This time I committed to doing at least 20min everyday so that there's never any question about whether I'm going to run today or rest.

Replies

• gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    I think it's only with lifting/strength training that you need those rests.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    We cannot tell you if you run too much. You have to listen to your body for rest days.

Would you call your intensity very high?
  • That's the thing, my body feels fine. For me the intensity is high I guess cuz my heart rate gets to like 160-170 then when I slow down its down to around 100. But it's only intense for a few minutes at a time. I was reading some credible sites & most say the muscles need to recover to maximize efficiency but I think their talking about the long distance running, it just doesn't specify.
  • yopeeps025
    brttnyvns wrote: »
    That's the thing, my body feels fine. For me the intensity is high I guess cuz my heart rate gets to like 160-170 then when I slow down its down to around 100. But it's only intense for a few minutes at a time. I was reading some credible sites & most say the muscles need to recover to maximize efficiency but I think their talking about the long distance running, it just doesn't specify.

You guess? Take out what your HRM says and go by how you feel while and after the workout. Believe when I say you would not guess when something was very high intense to you.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    I was taught never to skip my "rest" days in my running class. The reasoning is that the sore muscles (micro-tears) need time to repair and get stronger. If you run on repair days, your muscles won't get strong as fast. You also risk injury.

That doesn't mean do nothing on rest days. Just do something different. Like an exercise video or walking.

I am up to 2.5 K, thirty minutes, every other day.
  • kozinskey
    kozinskey Posts: 176 Member
    Take a look at some race training plans (Jeff Galloway does them with a run/walk method). Most plans will have you run 4-5 days a week, with 6 days per week for experienced/advanced runners. I would say that if you do a run that's long or feels extra hard, it's a good idea to take a rest day to prevent injury or mental burnout. Resting every other day is probably excessive, though. And if you get any recurring pain in your ankle, foot, or knee, definitely take a few days to a week off.
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    I think if you find yourself not needing a rest day, then maybe you arent working out hard enough. I'd also not trust my measurements if I recorded a 6 lb loss in only 4 days.
  • jhall260
    jhall260 Posts: 111 Member
    For running I often do not. It is something you need to build up to. I am currently on a 65 day streak of running. I have a solid base of 50mpw though. I do take 'recovery' days of 2-3 miles at an easy pace.
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,783 Member
    I read that too when I first started, but do what you feel you can do. I've just about quit running now but finding the time is not easy since work has begun. I'm currently looking for a treadmill so I can do my runs at home on that.
  • HardcoreP0rk
    jhall260 wrote: »
    For running I often do not. It is something you need to build up to. I am currently on a 65 day streak of running. I have a solid base of 50mpw though. I do take 'recovery' days of 2-3 miles at an easy pace.

If you're doing an active recovery, you might want to consider a cross training exercise for that. To simply run slower for less time isn't recommended by any running coaches I've ever worked with or learned from.

• yopeeps025 wrote: »
    That's the thing, my body feels fine. For me the intensity is high I guess cuz my heart rate gets to like 160-170 then when I slow down its down to around 100. But it's only intense for a few minutes at a time. I was reading some credible sites & most say the muscles need to recover to maximize efficiency but I think their talking about the long distance running, it just doesn't specify.

You guess? Take out what your HRM says and go by how you feel while and after the workout. Believe when I say you would not guess when something was very high intense to you.

I'm new to working out & wasn't sure if it's considered intense but like I said earlier I go until I can't talk.
  • I think if you find yourself not needing a rest day, then maybe you arent working out hard enough. I'd also not trust my measurements if I recorded a 6 lb loss in only 4 days.

My scale is calibrated the same as my Dr's office, been using the same one for 3yrs so I definitely trust it. My mom's scale also showed the same. I'm really fat so losing 10lbs in a week is nothing new to me I've just never been able to keep up the motivation, I've never given it my all but I feel I can do this work out every day, easily. Not trying to work out super hard just 20min with intense intervals to lose weight.
  • yopeeps025
    The reason why I am trying to find out the intense level because low intensity cardio can be done everyday but high intensity cardio can lead to injuries.
  • HardcoreP0rk
    I think if you find yourself not needing a rest day, then maybe you arent working out hard enough. I'd also not trust my measurements if I recorded a 6 lb loss in only 4 days.

My scale is calibrated the same as my Dr's office, been using the same one for 3yrs so I definitely trust it. My mom's scale also showed the same. I'm really fat so losing 10lbs in a week is nothing new to me I've just never been able to keep up the motivation, I've never given it my all but I feel I can do this work out every day, easily. Not trying to work out super hard just 20min with intense intervals to lose weight.

You don't need to work out "super hard" but you could prevent injury, work out more efficiently and have more free time if you up your intensity when you *do* work out and take rest days as recommended by every athlete, coach, physical therapist, orthopedic surgeon, or trainer I've ever met.

If you just really enjoy being active every day...

A rest day could even be an active rest day, where you just do some yoga or take a swim instead. It's all about preventing repetitive stress injury.

• jgnatca wrote: »
    I was taught never to skip my "rest" days in my running class. The reasoning is that the sore muscles (micro-tears) need time to repair and get stronger. If you run on repair days, your muscles won't get strong as fast. You also risk injury.

That doesn't mean do nothing on rest days. Just do something different. Like an exercise video or walking.

I am up to 2.5 K, thirty minutes, every other day.

978-1-4377-2746-3
    Thank you for the info! Yes, that's what I've been reading. Even though I feel I can go everyday I'm trying to understand the science behind it all so I don't screw up all my hard work. I'm gonna try yoga & weight training on off days. Based on what you've learned in class, when should the off days be? Consecutive days or every other day to start?
  • brttnyvns wrote: »

You don't need to work out "super hard" but you could prevent injury, work out more efficiently and have more free time if you up your intensity when you *do* work out and take rest days as recommended by every athlete, coach, physical therapist, orthopedic surgeon, or trainer I've ever met.

A rest day could even be an active rest day, where you just do some yoga or take a swim instead. It's all about preventing repetitive stress injury.

OK thanks. Do you have any recommendations on when the rest days should be?
  • yopeeps025 wrote: »
    The reason why I am trying to find out the intense level because low intensity cardio can be done everyday but high intensity cardio can lead to injuries.

OK gotcha. Even if the high intensity is only a few minutes? Probably 6 min total
  • HardcoreP0rk

OK thanks. Do you have any recommendations on when the rest days should be?

I think it's important to work them into your schedule, and consider your work and social life. You'll want to space them out, if possible. Id say take 3 rest days per week, where one is complete rest and the other 2 are "active recovery" like yoga, biking, or swim.

I think C25k should have a suggested schedule that would work for you

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

http://www.apairofpinkshoes.com/2012/08/couch-ercoma-to-5k.html
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

OK gotcha. Even if the high intensity is only a few minutes? Probably 6 min total

My high intensity interval training is 8 mins long with rest breaks if I can last that long. 9/10 I do not last that long.