Shingles??? Do I see a doctor??

Options
fedup30
fedup30 Posts: 141 Member
This doesn't really fall under the "Chit-Chat,Fun and Games" section, but it doesn't really fit elsewhere either....just hoping for some advice!

I am 30 years old, and I am devolping a rash on the right side of my body. I noticed it on Sunday morning...I had two very red raised bumps about the size of quarters. I can faintly see white dots on them. They were itchy, and my clothing seemed to irritate it. They seem kind of tingly and painful at times. I put some Caladryl Clear on them to help with the itching. This morning I woke up with another spot. I also notice tenderness around that whole area. I have done some online research, and it seems to me it may be shingles, I did have the chicken pox as a child.

My general health is ok, but I am overwieght and currently nursing a cold. So my question is this: Do I need to see a doctor?? I currently have healthcare, but my deductible is so high that I will end up paying for the visit on my own anyway, and I really cannot afford it right now :(

Any advice would be wonderful. Thanks in Advance!

Replies

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • JessicaJVRadcliffe
    JessicaJVRadcliffe Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Yes. You must. They will get worse. You need Valtrex.
  • fedup30
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Thanks. I am trying to get an appt for today.
  • Spnneil06
    Spnneil06 Posts: 18,745 Member
    Options
    yes and stay away from pregnant ladies, kids and elderly people!
  • AZTallguy
    AZTallguy Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I would. I had a very mild case years ago. I waited too long and the dr. said that you have to get it when it first starts so they can really treat it. But I would go just to ease your mind and get some pain relievers or antibiotics. Good luck and hope it's not too bad!
  • fedup30
    Options
    Thanks all. I will go this afternoon, and get it checked out.
  • fedup30
    Options
    Update: I went to the doctor, and yes it is shingles. Man does it suck. But, I thank you all for encouraging me to see the doctor. I have a prescription now that will hopefully shorten this whole ordeal. Thanks again for encouraging me to get it checked out!
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Oh boy. I had shingles when I was 15. I still remember the pain. Feel better!
  • hedgehogia
    hedgehogia Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Lidoderm patches really help with the pain. You need a script though.
  • fedup30
    Options
    @mojo705 I wasn't sure I NEEDED to see a doctor. Nothing cures the shingles. The prescription may shorten it a little, but will do nothing for the pain, or itching. Shingles must run its course. It is NOT necessary to see the doctor, she told me that herself....I was simply looking for advice, to see if anyone knew whether or not I should get the prescription. There are conflicting views. So if you are just here to judge me, move along.
  • bellabutt3
    bellabutt3 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Heavens yes! I had it a few years ago. Waited a bit too long to see Dr. They said so much easier to deal with if addressed quickly. Heavy doses of antibiotics (oral & cream) plus Lyrica for pain. Good Luck!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Hope the meds help!! I had a fairly mild case a few years ago. Thought maybe it was just dermatitis at first because I'd gone shopping for a halloween costume and was trying on a bunch of different clothes and thought maybe something irritated my skin. But after a few days and with the pain and itching getting worse, I finally called my doctors office. Didn't even consider shingles until she asked about chicken pox and then I was like "oh no!". After a quick peep, they confirmed it was shingles, gave me a script for Valtrex and sent me on my merry way.

I say fairly mild because the way some people describe the pain from shingles, I don't think mine was that bad. The only time it realy bothered me was at night when for some reason it got so bad, it actually woke me up several times. Between fighting the virus and lack of sleep, I was completely exhausted.

The only other concern was that my husband was pretty sure he'd never had chicken pox. He had a really good memory and didn't remember ever going through it. So I had to be really careful about keeping my hands clean and not snuggling too much. He called it scabies. LOL!