• brttnyvns
    brttnyvns Posts: 11
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Thanks everyone
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    If you don't, you're not working hard enough.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options

This.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Here's a sample running plan with "rest" days included. It's generally every other day.
    http://running.about.com/od/trainingschedules/a/Four-Week-Beginner-Training-Program-To-Run-Two-Miles.htm

s-l-o-w-l-y work up to eight minutes high intensity.
  • brttnyvns
    Options
    Thanks a lot
    brttnyvns wrote: »
    brttnyvns wrote: »
    I think if you find yourself not needing a rest day, then maybe you arent working out hard enough. I'd also not trust my measurements if I recorded a 6 lb loss in only 4 days.

My scale is calibrated the same as my Dr's office, been using the same one for 3yrs so I definitely trust it. My mom's scale also showed the same. I'm really fat so losing 10lbs in a week is nothing new to me I've just never been able to keep up the motivation, I've never given it my all but I feel I can do this work out every day, easily. Not trying to work out super hard just 20min with intense intervals to lose weight.

You don't need to work out "super hard" but you could prevent injury, work out more efficiently and have more free time if you up your intensity when you *do* work out and take rest days as recommended by every athlete, coach, physical therapist, orthopedic surgeon, or trainer I've ever met.

If you just really enjoy being active every day...

A rest day could even be an active rest day, where you just do some yoga or take a swim instead. It's all about preventing repetitive stress injury.

OK thanks. Do you have any recommendations on when the rest days should be?

I think it's important to work them into your schedule, and consider your work and social life. You'll want to space them out, if possible. Id say take 3 rest days per week, where one is complete rest and the other 2 are "active recovery" like yoga, biking, or swim.

I think C25k should have a suggested schedule that would work for you

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

http://www.apairofpinkshoes.com/2012/08/couch-ercoma-to-5k.html

Thanks a lot! This is exactly what I needed :D
  • brttnyvns
    Options

I'm really not trying to work out until I'm exhausted. Just want to run comfortably & lose weight.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I started to see real gains in my exercise when I moved fast enough for my muscles to protest for a few minutes. Then I rested.

This isn't running to exhaustion. It is running to get to the "change range".

That being said, all walking is good and will help. You are starting at a heavier weight so you don't want to strain any joints. I did not ramp up to running until I achieved a weight under 200 lbs.