Shoes for Heel Spur

Options
So I have this really bothersome heel spur that I have been wearing inserts for however I'm starting to have issues durning my workouts and runs. I'm hoping a better pair of shoes will help but wanted to see if anyone else has this problem as well and has found a shoe that works for them. I do a lot of running and jumping in my workouts. Any advice would be great. Oh and I do know that shoe fit is individual I just kinda wanna know what has worked for others or what has totally not worked?

Replies

• Regina214
    Regina214 Posts: 10
    Options
    I've had heel spurs before and I also have a spur on one of my vertibrae. When I found Clarks, I stopped having so much foot and back pain. At first, they only had casual shoes, but now they have athletic shoes too. I haven't tried them, but any Clarks shoe that I have worn has been great. I cannot find a local retailer that sells them, but haven't gone to the mall to try the Clarks store. The athletic shoes are a bit high, so I opted for Nike instead. Good luck!
  • tbrown5
    tbrown5 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    If you find out, let me know. I also have a bone spur along with plantar issues. I have been on medicine (anti-inflammatory and relaxers) for a couple of months. I was feeling better but began doing 30 day shred and since the pain has increased.
    Thanks!
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I've been using Vibram FiveFingers for a few months now. They're what are called "barefoot shoes," which are a type of shoe that makes it more like you're doing things barefoot, but keeps your feet protected from things like sharp rocks, glass, etc.

What makes barefoot shoes so popular is that it brings you back to your natural stride. Regular shoes condition you to essentially slam your foot down (so you can actually feel when you've hit the ground), which, of course, generates shock through your body, hurting your joints. They also help strengthen the foot itself, because you use different parts of it when you're barefoot than when you're in regular shoes. I used to get blisters on my feet after a day at the zoo in regular shoes, but in my Vibrams, I'm perfectly fine!

Do keep in mind, though, that when you first start using them, it's not a good idea to go for as long of a workout for the first couple of weeks. You need to get used to them and how your stride needs to be, and all-around used to essentially being barefoot.
  • susioryan
    susioryan Posts: 180
    Options
    I have plantar's fascitis and wear orthotics in my Asics running shoes. I also wear Borns. They have great support/