Meal Replacement

Options
anybody use meal replacement shakes? If so, what kind?

Replies

• CloudyMao
    CloudyMao Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Why would you want to replace food? Eeek

Sometimes I will have a protein shake if I cba to cook after a good workout, does that count? I'd much rather eat though, delicious meals.
  • DianePK
    DianePK Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I've been doing green and fruit smoothies instead of shakes and I have to say I feel a lot better than I did on shakes. The shakes gave me dull skin and terrible gas, I mean uncontrollable gas, on the bus, at work. It was so embarrassing. I think it was all the dairy.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    No. Eat real food. Add smoothies as part of your meal or snacks.
  • astridtheviking
    astridtheviking Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I’m gonna throw in my two cents - there may be a reason she wants to try meal replacement shakes - such as a job or school situation where she needs a shelf-stable simple meal that can be eaten on-the-go. She could (like another poster on this forum) have a particular reason not to be eating solid foods at the moment. Criticizing instead of offering advice may not be helpful, considering none of us know her particular situation.
  • DWiz2626
    DWiz2626 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I was considering asking the same question, so there it is. I have lost 20 lbs since early November so things are working. I have simply changed my eating habits. BUT, until my wife and I can get that ONE big shopping day in where we can have meals planned for a week(s), I was considering shakes/smoothies. It gets numbing to always come up with meals. I want to only consider "shakes" in the morning and for lunch with some nuts for snacks, and then a sensible dinner. We don't even own a blender/juicer, so I was thinking of buying these shakes/smoothies at the grocery store until then. Thanks!
  • kevinmacpa
    kevinmacpa Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I think the biggest issue with meal replacement drink is they are calorie dense but not nutrient dense. If you have to drink your food, I would suggest make smoothie with milk and calorie dense fruit such as banana and add other fruits base on your preference. If you need additional protein, then you can add some protein powder. If you need fat, you can add some coconut oil.
  • MarciBkonTrk
    MarciBkonTrk Posts: 310 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    My smoothies are calorie and nutrient dense. I always start my day with a smoothie. Prepare the ingredients the night before and in the morning pop it in my Magic Bullet. Breakfast is ready in less than five minutes. My basic smoothie starts with a scoop of whey protein isolate (if flavored I use one sweetened with Stevia), 1/2 cup of FF Greek yogurt (Fage is a fav), 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk, and 1 tablespoon of flax or chia seeds, then I add 1/2 cup fresh/frozen fruit and 1 1/2 cups of veggies (usually spinach or kale). Today's smoothie was the basic smoothie with 1/2 cup mixed fruit and 1 1/2 cups spinach. If you are saying, "yuck!" to the spinach, you cannot taste the greens at all! Planning a smoothie for dinner too which will a pina colada smoothie. I will use my basic smoothie minus the chia seeds with 1/2 frozen banana, 1 tablespoon of coconut oil, and a 1/3 cup no sugar added crushed pineapple. The stats for my basic smoothie are 230 calories, 32g protein, 7g fat, 16g carbs (good nutrient dense carbs), 9g fiber, and 6g sugar (not added sugar). I started this routine a week ago today and have lost 4.4 pounds!
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I don't know if I'd consider it meal replacement but a few times a week I'll make a protein smoothie for breakfast after the gym.
  • auntchellebelle
    auntchellebelle Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I love the protein shakes by Core Power. I eat on the run so it is easier to drink something. It has 26g of protein and keep me full until lunch. I drink the banana one every morning.
  • auntchellebelle
    auntchellebelle Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I’m gonna throw in my two cents - there may be a reason she wants to try meal replacement shakes - such as a job or school situation where she needs a shelf-stable simple meal that can be eaten on-the-go. She could (like another poster on this forum) have a particular reason not to be eating solid foods at the moment. Criticizing instead of offering advice may not be helpful, considering none of us know her particular situation.

Exactly. I prefer to sleep in longer and drink a protein shake on the way to work. We are all different. It works for me.
  • jademarieh
    Options
    I use shakeology mixed with fruit every morning after my workout! I love those a lot! There isn't anything wrong with them in my opinion as long as it's what you want! If you choose to use meal replacements, make sure you get one with a decent amount of protein to keep you full! Oh and low on the sugar content!
  • Sari723
    Sari723 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    i drink an "EAS ready to drink" protein shake and eat a banana before my weekend morning workouts. Good nutrition without being too full to work out. Plus they are pretty tasty.