Snow shovelers unite! Winter 2014/15

Options
dopeysmelly
dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
edited January 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
I thought this would make a fun "challenge" thread. Some of us have to shovel snow anyway, but as long as you're reasonably healthy (back, heart etc.) it is a great cardio workout.

Use of snow-blower doesn't count!!!

I'll start!

As of today (Jan 12, 2015)

Time: 254 minutes
Estimated burn: 711 calories (via Garmin HRM)

Replies

• jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Holy crap, have you not shovelled for a couple weeks or just got a huge storm?

We've had some huuuuge dumps here this year, but usually takes only about 30-40 minutes to do front and driveway.
  • jpburcham
    jpburcham Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Hoping for more snow here in Colorado . . . . I'm ready for a trip to the mountains for some serious snow shoeing . . . . . . And of course, I'll have to shovel to get ready !!!
  • theskinnyonme
    theskinnyonme Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I ll have to record next time. We got nothing but ice last night.
  • mmabry72
    mmabry72 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Only had to shovel out once so far this year. I didn't keep track but probably 20-30 min worth of cardio :)
  • ItsSlimpossible12
    ItsSlimpossible12 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    ME! I am at 107 minutes and 902 calories but we have been light on the snow this year. This is my first home and I am actually a little giddy about the extra calorie burn! I am sure I won't be saying that when we have A LOT of heavy wet snow, but for now I am enjoying it.
  • PearlAng
    PearlAng Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    This would have been great for 2013/14 as I live in Jersey and we had so much snow...this year..well it's not looking too good for us :(
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    No snow blower?

VKaWX.gif
  • dopeysmelly
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »
    No snow blower?

VKaWX.gif

Yeah, no snow blowers. We're tough here!!
  • margtrautwein
    margtrautwein Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Are you using the time shovelling to determine calorie burn or intensity of the work? Volume of snow?
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    Ach, I can't play... the SO insists that I use the snowblower this winter after I badly injured a rotator cuff last year throwing snow above shoulder level for a few hours.

This is one challenge I could have really competed in. *sigh* An 8" - 10" dump would give me about 3 or 4 hours of shovelling (loooong double driveway + walkway + huge patio).

I never wore my HRM for shovelling but I sure racked up steps on the fitbit.
  • MamaRiss
    MamaRiss Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    No snow here :( We spent a a couple winters in Europe, and our driveway in one country was about 80 feet long and a sidewalk going all the way around the house. One snowfall, one person, I can imagine spending 4+ hours shoveling. Wish we had snow
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    MamaRiss wrote: »
    No snow here :( We spent a a couple winters in Europe, and our driveway in one country was about 80 feet long and a sidewalk going all the way around the house. One snowfall, one person, I can imagine spending 4+ hours shoveling. Wish we had snow
    Being a Canadian and ALWAYS having snow, 4+ hours sounds like hell.
  • dopeysmelly
    Options
    Are you using the time shovelling to determine calorie burn or intensity of the work? Volume of snow?

Whichever you prefer. I'm using my HRM (when I remember), but seriously wished I'd calculated volume/weight last year..
  • RNGRZulu
    RNGRZulu Posts: 3,964 Member
    Options
    1134 cals shoveling for 104 minutes.
    Sticky snow!!! Driveway is 270 yards long and the ATV w/plow couldn't get traction. Crazy workout. Did about 30 minutes, then came in for a break. Checked my calories and told me wife what a smoker it was.
    She came out and did the rest with me. More fun that way. Stayed out for over an hour and just about cleared up the hard parts.
  • RNGRZulu
    Options
    Looks like the folks in the North East will have plenty of chance to get a good work out!
  • dopeysmelly
    Options
    Total as of yesterday (Feb 2, 2015)

Time: 456 minutes
    Estimated burn: 1473 calories (via Garmin HRM)
  • RNGRZulu
    Options
    Total as of yesterday (Feb 2, 2015)

Time: 456 minutes
    Estimated burn: 1473 calories (via Garmin HRM)

Ouch!
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I never considered really tracking this before, I log it using the general "shoveling snow" option here on MFP but I don't really pay attention to the calorie burn amounts. All I can say with certainty is that when I come home my clothes are soaked in sweat, my body feels the burn and my own driveway and my elderly neighbors look pretty freakin amazing.
  • dopeysmelly
    Options
    Total as of yesterday (Feb 3, 2015)

Time: 482 minutes
    Estimated burn: 1558 calories (via Garmin HRM)

More to come today..
  • MinnesotaNice507
    MinnesotaNice507 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    As of yesterday February 3:
    Total time: 33 minutes
    Calories burned per Polar FT7 HRM: 323