3 meals a day 1200 limit?

Options
13»

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    1 - 1200 calories per day will be difficult to maintain if you're eating a bunch of pasta and rice...those things are calorie dense and don't really keep you full for very long.

2 - If you go with 1200 calories per day, you need to focus on lean protein sources, lots of veg, some healthy fats, and limited grains/starchy veg, etc. There's also not a lot of room here for "treats" and/or flexible dieting

3 - If you find 1200 calories per day difficult, just remember that it is a very aggressive goal based on what you told the calculator you wanted to do...you can actually lose weight at a higher calorie intake and while the rate of loss is predictably slower, it's often faster and steadier in that people tend to have better overall adherence...in my long tenured experience her on MFP, people tend to go off the rails fairly regularly when trying to restrict themselves to a mere 1200 calories per day.

4 - do more exercise...when you exercise you increase your body's energy (calorie) requirements...thus you can accomplish the same goals with a higher energy intake.

Example, without exercise I would maintain on roughly 2300 - 2400 calories per day...which means to lose 1 Lb per week (500 calorie deficit) I could only consume 1800 - 1900 calories per day. With regular exercise I maintain on roughly 2800ish calories per day which means I can lose that same 1 Lb per week eating 2300 calories per day which is much more doable for me.
  • Lalalindaloo
    Lalalindaloo Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    <<<<
    Addicted to Pinterest

400 calorie meals search: http://www.pinterest.com/search/pins/?rs=ac&len=2&q=400+calorie+meals&term_meta[]=400|autocomplete|0&term_meta[]=calorie|autocomplete|0&term_meta[]=meals|autocomplete|0

• rubbersoul84
    rubbersoul84 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I haven't scrolled through every reply, but if no one has suggested it yet, try www.reddit.com/1200isplenty. That subreddit has lots of good low calorie nutritious menu ideas.

I'm set for 1310 to lose my last 10 pounds, but I find yummy things on there all the time.
  • TashaSc82
    TashaSc82 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    My daily goal is 1230. I typically get some cardio in so that I can add some more calories my the daily total. I love Pinterest for low cal ideas. AND when you use MFP online (vs the mobile app) you can plug the link into the recipe importer and know how much each meal is worth before choosing it. Just gotta get creative with those veggies but its doable.

Good Luck!
  • Eire228
    Eire228 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I haven't read all of the posts yet, but my calorie goal is also 1200. It's REALLY hard to stay within that. All I have to say is: fruits and veggies!!! I have been finding different ways to incorporate more into my diet. My morning snack used to always be a granola bar. Now it's veggies and hummus. I eat a lot of salads with different veggie toppings for lunch. Fruit for additional snacks. Dinner is always veggie based. Maybe some pasta with veggies, rice and veggies...etc. I find broccoli really filling and delicious! So I use that a lot in my meals. Eggs are filling and low cal.

It's also helpful to get in exercise, of course. If you work out, you can eat more and not go over your goal! :)

1200 felt really low when I first started, and although it's still tough, it's gotten me to eat much healthier, and I love it! If you're also cooking for your family, you may have to make something different for them, if they aren't looking to cut back on calories as well. :\ But a great place to look for family friendly and calorie friendly recipes is Cooking Light. They have some great healthy recipes, and they're super easy!

And once you get the hang of it, you'll do really well! :)
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    OP: Glad you upped your calories!! ;)

I have tried 1200 and lower in the past, always ended up binging and gaining the weight back!!
    Now when I was losing weight I ate between 1600-1900 calories depending on exercises, lost 121 pounds doing this, I am 5'2, 45 yrs old, now maintaining for several months now, eating between 2400-2600 calories!!

Good luck OP!!! :)
  • AnAbsoluteDiva
    AnAbsoluteDiva Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Vegetables! And they are COMPLEX carbohydrates which means they are dang good for you. Avoid the white food (rice, potatoes, bread, pasta) which are empty calories that just cause your blood sugars to spike and all that jazz. Three or four ounces of roasted meat (chicken, pork, fish, beef) and a heaping pile of bright, crunchy, delicious vegetables will do more for you than you know.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Avoid the white food (rice, potatoes, bread, pasta) which are empty calories that just cause your blood sugars to spike and all that jazz. .

NO!!
  • fitbethlin
    fitbethlin Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I dieted successfully on 1200 a day when I lost about 25lbs 12 years ago. By the time I had a regular workout routine in place though, that number of calories wasn't enough. I actually lost more weight when I stepped up to 1450 a day and had one workout per day (either jog/walking or lifting weights). I was 5'3" and 145lb at the start for reference.

I ended up with a small selection of meals I loved and would just rotate through them. I also knew exactly what I could order at fast food restaurants (I was a law student at the time and knew that some days just would NOT allow for cooking, etc) and had some favorite frozen meals stashed in the freezer for days when I made it home, but didn't have any energy. I ended up being pretty close to vegetarian at that time. Now days, I'm up to 135lbs, but the only way I feel comfortable on 1200-1400 calories is if I cut out refined carbs but keep meat. Every body is different and your eating history will help determine how your metabolism works (and thus, what food choices will have the best impact). My thoughts: don't feel obligated to listen to anyone who gives you advice that is absolute like avoid all white food, avoid all red meat, avoid all dairy, etc. (Including me!)

My go-to meals:

Frozen: Amy's Whole Meal Enchiladas, Amy's Lasagna, Kashi Go-Lean meals.
    Fast Food: Taco Bell fresco menu, Jack-in-the-Box pitas (I don't think they have them anymore though, which is a shame)
    Homemade:
    No-noodle Lasagna (it's really just a casserole, but it's very very good) http://allrecipes.com/recipe/no-noodle-zucchini-lasagna/
    Sesame Beef (Pan fry thin flank steak, add a little sesame oil, serve over a bunch of spinach and a little brown rice.)
    Egg & Bacon cups for breakfast (http://onceamonthmeals.com/simple-paleo-egg-cups/)
    Moo Goo Gai Pan with fake rice (http://funwithrealfood.com/?p=369)
  • AnAbsoluteDiva
    AnAbsoluteDiva Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »
    Avoid the white food (rice, potatoes, bread, pasta) which are empty calories that just cause your blood sugars to spike and all that jazz. .

NO!!

Uh..... how come No?
  • vicpoole188
    Options
    I don't know if its psychological but I'm going for only .5 kg loss a week - so my target is 1500 cal (6280 kjs).
    I have been able to eat whatever I want although I have cut down the quantities.
    Its only early days but I'm happy with this and I have kept well within my limits.
    I know from a lifetime of dieting that I am an "all or nothing girl" so in the past if I followed a restrictive diet and broke it - I would throw in the towel and abandon it that day and start again tomorrow - which I often didn't :(
    So I'm hoping an increase in my target calories will result in my staying on the right track and finally - even though it will take longer - lose the 44lbs I need to.
  • kyta32
    kyta32 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    1 - 1200 calories per day will be difficult to maintain if you're eating a bunch of pasta and rice...those things are calorie dense and don't really keep you full for very long.

2 - If you go with 1200 calories per day, you need to focus on lean protein sources, lots of veg, some healthy fats, and limited grains/starchy veg, etc. There's also not a lot of room here for "treats" and/or flexible dieting

3 - If you find 1200 calories per day difficult, just remember that it is a very aggressive goal based on what you told the calculator you wanted to do...you can actually lose weight at a higher calorie intake and while the rate of loss is predictably slower, it's often faster and steadier in that people tend to have better overall adherence...in my long tenured experience her on MFP, people tend to go off the rails fairly regularly when trying to restrict themselves to a mere 1200 calories per day.

4 - do more exercise...when you exercise you increase your body's energy (calorie) requirements...thus you can accomplish the same goals with a higher energy intake.

Example, without exercise I would maintain on roughly 2300 - 2400 calories per day...which means to lose 1 Lb per week (500 calorie deficit) I could only consume 1800 - 1900 calories per day. With regular exercise I maintain on roughly 2800ish calories per day which means I can lose that same 1 Lb per week eating 2300 calories per day which is much more doable for me.

1 - I eat 1200 calories a day, and have either pasta or rice every day. 1/2 cup rice or 21g dry pasta. I rely on my protein to keep me full

2 - I have room for two snacks a day, but I replace one with a treat if something special comes up (i.e. my daughter made cupcakes). I would like to say I keep treats down to a couple a week, but that isn't true :(

3 - I started out at 1400 calories last August, but have been at 1200 for several months now without feeling deprived. I have the occassional hungry day, but I know I can ride them out now. I eat some of my exercise calories if I'm feeling really hungry.

4 - I do more exercise - so I can lose weight faster! - and hold onto muscle mass.

I've been losing 3-4 pounds a week, and don't feel deprived at least 95% of the time (stupid food courts). That weight loss will slow now that I'm down from morbidly obese to merely overweight, though.

Rate of loss is a personal decision. MFP will not calculate a 2 pound weight loss when it goes under 1200 calories (MFP is set for 1.6 lbs/wk weight loss for me).

Good luck everyone :)
  • vannie9210
    vannie9210 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    The last time I used this site I had a limit of 1200 cal and had great success, losing 30 lbs. in six months. After gaining most of is back I've returned with still 1200 cal. limit, and looking for meal ideas. This thread has been very helpful!!! :smiley:
  • beachlover83
    beachlover83 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Have you been to skinnytaste.com? I love her recipes! She finds good ways to add more vegetables to meals and everything on the site is pretty healthy. I mainly use this site to plan my meals for the week.
  • robinkelly25
    robinkelly25 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I love the website skinnytaste.com and that is where I get all of my recipes from. I am also striving to eat between 1200-1350 calories a day.
    For breakfast I usually make: Broccoli and Cheese Omelets. You can make enough for the week and it is fast/easy when on the "go" in the morning. I will pair this with a fruit.
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2009/03/broccoli-and-cheese-mini-egg-omelets-2.html
    For lunch I usually have leftovers of whatever I made the previous night.

Last night I made stuffed pork tenderloin :)
    Good Luck on your journey!!
  • joyce0624
    joyce0624 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    BUMP FOR LATER
  • lseed87
    lseed87 Posts: 1,110 Member
    Options
    MFP makes everyone start off at 1200, just the way it works.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    lseed87 wrote: »
    MFP makes everyone start off at 1200, just the way it works.

Everyone? Funny ... it started me at over 2700 calories.

So much for hyperbole.
  • NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    My limit is 1200'calories for the day need some meal ideas. I don't like fish and suffer from IBS so nothing spicy etc please. Like basic foods as feeds rest of my family n kids are fussy lol we love pasta and rice and chicken. Any ideas welcome thank you x

Just some ideas – these are actual meals I make for myself with ingredients and portions that keep things under 250 calories. I do eat over 250 at times, but these are some of my go-to low calorie ideas.

MealSamples_border_zps65f882d4.jpg

MyBreakfastRecipes1_zpsc5ce6454.jpg

73641431.png

• FarmallMom71
    FarmallMom71 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Oh... your in the same boat as me with kids. Some nights I make "kid/hubby" meal and then I modify mine to fit my needs (sometimes making something similar but different). Pizza night, I make homemade pizzas for family then make mushroom cap pizzas or crustless pizza for me... they sometimes have no clue I'm eating differently. -I can't limit all their foods to what I need to eat or they'd starve!