5'6" ladies how many calories do you eat to lose weight?

Options
I'm eating around 1300 daily, with some fluctuations and a cheat day. (I think my diary is public). I'm 5'6" and 149-looking to get down to 135.

I only workout lightly every day and maybe do one vigorous workout a week...

I'm wondering how many calories other women are eating to lose weight who are lightly active and around my size? I've been having a lot of fluctuations in my weight this first week which is something I've never experienced before with weight loss...probably because I'm older lol.

Thanks! :)

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    How old are you? How much do you eat on your cheat days?
  • trianglevision
    trianglevision Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I am 29. On my cheat day I ate 1500 calories of food and 500 calories of alcohol lol
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I'm eating 2100 (a 10% deficit from my TDEE). I'm 46 yr old, 5'6" and 148. I'm near the end of my journey and trying to just lose some body fat while keeping as much of my muscle as possible. I weight lift 3x a week, play field hockey 2x a week, run some and walk a lot.
  • bmartin69
    bmartin69 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am also 5'6", 149 and want to get to 135. I've been at ~1400 calories since Thanksgiving and haven't lost an ounce. I walk about 3 miles a day, and do one or two vigorous workouts a week, plus one yoga session. I am 45, and think that my metabolism has taken a sudden downward dive.
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    You might want to go to the Scooby Workshop calculator and figure out your TDEE (include exercise as well as any activity outside of that - like walking a dog or running around with kids). As you have a small amount to lose, you shouldn't have more than a 15% deficit. OR if you want to just use the MFP method, you should have it set for 1/2 lb a week - anything more is WAY too aggressive and you'll lose too much muscle. Slower is better.
  • Petri1686
    Petri1686 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You need to research flexible dieting (IIFYM)! It is amazing!! Check out BDAWNFIT.COM too, she is an awesome coach :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I am 29. On my cheat day I ate 1500 calories of food and 500 calories of alcohol lol

29 is 'older'?!

I'm 5ft5, 133lbs and eat net 1700 cals to lose 0.5lb per week.
  • Suzibell68
    Suzibell68 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am 46. Just started this and doing a Diet Bet....so I am strict and tight until my 28 day bet is complete (have to lose 4% of my body weight in 28 days). Doing 1200 calories with light activity (walking, aerobics) 4 times a week.
  • GothyFaery
    GothyFaery Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I'm 26, 5'5 145ish and lose while eating 1200-1800 per day (depending on activity level that day) while going 100-300 calories over on Saturday. I pretty much eat until I'm full and make sure I move enough to make up for however much I eat.
  • raisealittlehell
    raisealittlehell Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Here is the things- everyones different. When I started I was 155 lbs (I am slightly taller 5'8) I ate at 1210 calories- worked out 3-4 days a week (lifting and running). Once I dropped my initial goal of 15 lbs (took about 2 months, 2 lbs a week) I bumped my calories up and it took me an additional 6 months to lose the last 5 lbs.

Do what you feel is best for you! What might work for me might not work for you or anyone else.

Also- if you are weighing yourself everyday you are going to see fluctuations in weight. Mostly due to water retention. IF you want a more accurate weight goal, weigh yourself once a week, at the same time every week to get an accurate reading. Important thing is not the number on the scale but how you feel.
  • trianglevision
    trianglevision Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Sorry I meant older than I was since last time I dieted...I'm pretty sure it was a little easier when I was 22! :dizzy_face:
  • ravenstar25
    ravenstar25 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    29 is older? Wait till you're 40, lol
  • lforner46
    lforner46 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I am on the "21 day fix" through Beachbody. I am eating 1500 cal a day and working out every day.
  • thoseAmericanthighs
    thoseAmericanthighs Posts: 24 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I'm 25, 5'7'' currently sitting at about 170# looking to get down to 150(ish) as long as I don't lose my strength. I eat about 2000-2400/day and swim in the mornings for about 1 hour and then after work I go lift heavy. That routine is 5 days per week and then on Saturday, I do one vigorous workout and Sunday is my rest day. At some point once it warms up, I'll probably start running again one or two days a week.
  • MelonFlower
    MelonFlower Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I'm 29, 5'5" and eat 1700 cal a day (currently 154lbs, looking to get to 135lbs). I eat less than 100g of carbs, and the rest come from proteins and healthy fats. I'm losing weight pretty fast right now, but that could be because I'm on reduced carb. I don't expect it to continue at this rate.

Your basal metabolic rate will be a huge factor in determining how many calories you should consume. My body, though chubbed out, currently has a lot of muscle, so I suspect that's why I'm losing so quickly at 1700. If you're light on muscle, 1500 is probably good. From what I've read, much less than 1500 with an active lifestyle, and your hypothalamus will have kittens and tell your body to store more fat. If you've hit a plateau, you may want to experiment with increasing your calories, especially if you've added some muscle since you first calculated your calorie goal. Your brain might think you're starving. Read FAT CHANCE by Dr. Robert Lustig for more on this.

Feel free to add me as a friend.
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    5'6", 34, 167 after a 33 lb loss. I eat 1200 + half my exercise calories. I work from home in front of a computer so I have a sedentary lifestyle. I lose about 1.5 pounds a week.

I weigh myself daily. It has helped my mental health to be able to see the fluctuations--I know many (most?) people feel better with a weekly weigh-in, but I like the data. I retain water with new/more exercise, extra sodium, time of month, and for no reason at all, and weighing daily helps me see that.
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I'm 29, 5'5" and eat 1700 cal a day (currently 154lbs, looking to get to 135lbs). I eat less than 100g of carbs, and the rest come from proteins and healthy fats. I'm losing weight pretty fast right now, but that could be because I'm on reduced carb. I don't expect it to continue at this rate.

Your basal metabolic rate will be a huge factor in determining how many calories you should consume. My body, though chubbed out, currently has a lot of muscle, so I suspect that's why I'm losing so quickly at 1700. If you're light on muscle, 1500 is probably good. From what I've read, much less than 1500 with an active lifestyle, and your hypothalamus will have kittens and tell your body to store more fat. If you've hit a plateau, you may want to experiment with increasing your calories, especially if you've added some muscle since you first calculated your calorie goal. Your brain might think you're starving. Read FAT CHANCE by Dr. Robert Lustig for more on this.

Feel free to add me as a friend.

I know your heart is in the right place, but this is not good information. Starvation mode is a myth. Your hypothalamus will not have kittens.
  • bebdinosaur
    bebdinosaur Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm 25- currently 155lbs (or I was before the holidays. I haven't weighed myself in a while. scared to look lol) and also working towards 135. My calorie limit is set to 1650, which is a 20% deficit from my TDEE. I usually don't eat even eat that much, as I am satisfied before then (at least 200-300 calories from my limit at a minimum). I make sure I eat closer to my goal on workout days, which is my twice a week kickboxing class. Occasionally, I will also go snowboarding, but I haven't gone enough this season to reliably count on it as a weekly exercise.
    Before, the holidays started, I was able to lose 9lbs eating very close to 1650-1700 calories a day, doing the kickboxing and the occasional walk.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options

^^This is a fantastic starting point to figure your TDEE. I'm 38, 5'6", 138(ish)lbs. I eat 1900 every day (even rest days) to lose (about 1/2lb/week). Goal is 135 (ish--looking to lean out, but no lower than 130).