Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Preworkout food in the morning

Hey everyone !
So one of my new years resolution is to get up at 7 am every day. Lucky me, I work 10mins away and could easily get up at 8.30am but I like to make the most of my day :)

One of my other goals is to workout in the morning. I have done it before and enjoyed it. So I'm starting with one day a week and working my way up to more.

However, waking up at 7 would allow me to hit the gym at 7.30. I've been trying to find out what to eat BEFORE as I don't want to have my full breakfast just before a workout. Some websites say protein, some websites say no protein, some websites say whey shake, some say a banana ...
What do you guys go with ?

Thanks for you help !

Replies

• dbhagat
    dbhagat Posts: 4 Member
    Generally speaking you should not be consuming food within 3 hrs of a workout. I do not eat anything prior to the workout ( I go to the gym at 5.15 am) but I do have a recovery drink after the workout.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    dbhagat wrote: »
    Generally speaking you should not be consuming food within 3 hrs of a workout. I do not eat anything prior to the workout ( I go to the gym at 5.15 am) but I do have a recovery drink after the workout.

Why not? :huh:
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    It's all personal preference so try a few things and see what works for you. For early AM workouts I prefer to be fasted (i.e. having not eaten anything) or just have a coffee. But if you'd like to have something, try something small initially, like a banana or protein shake.
  • lil_lizt
    lil_lizt Posts: 275 Member
    I have a slice of toast and 2 eggs (scrambled) with a coffee around an hour or so before I go gym. Working out fasted doesn't work for me as I'm just too hungry to focus on anything else lol
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    I don't eat anything before but have breakfast immediately after.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    I just have some water when I rise to make sure I am hydrated properly. The only time I have some calories beforehand is if I am doing a really long run that burns a ton of calories, like 10+ miles. And in that case I just have a glass of apple juice or something similar, less that 200 calories overall really. Otherwise I depend on refueling during the workout if I am worried about depleting glycogen, not so much before.
  • cioube
    cioube Posts: 39 Member
    Ok, I'll give it a try. I don't have protein powder so I'll go for a banana and see how I'm feeling about that.
    One website suggested that if you don't eat you're not going to put your most in the workout, which is why I started to wonder wether I had been doing it right the few times I worked out early morning.

Thanks for your help !
  • Keensa16
    Keensa16 Posts: 7 Member
    On days I lift in the morning I try to get a little something in me; I will typically have at least a slice of whole wheat toast and half a scoop of whey protein. You want to make sure you have something to set yourself up for a good workout
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Personal preference. I get extremely nauseous and lightheaded if I eat a heavy meal before the gym. I cannot go on an empty stomach though because I have chronic hypoglycemia.

I would suggest a banana. It's light, full of nutrients, and "carby".
  • weali
    weali Posts: 37 Member
    I usually eat a spoonful of peanut butter or a handful of whatever nuts I have at the house and maybe an apple. Just to have enough of something on my stomache so I don't pass out.
  • bd208
    bd208 Posts: 41 Member
    What? Why not??? I have a pre-workout protein drink to make sure that I have adequate caloric stores for my body to use...then when I finish with my workout, I have a recovery shake when I get home! But like someone said, it's all a matter of personal choice!

• bkerr30
    bkerr30 Posts: 131 Member
    I will typically eat a slice of toast or even just st a yogurt. Anything but a banana. Every time I try to eat a banana before working out (even in a smoothie) I barf. Not fun while at the gym :p
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Generally speaking you should not be consuming food within 3 hrs of a workout.

No.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    A short <1hr morning workout I don't bother with anything. If a bigger session is planned I'll eat something carby.

Protein for afterwards though.
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    edited January 2015
    my morning workout is just cardio, I do weights later in the day.
    I drink 2 cups coffee and take a liter of water with BCAA and electrolytes to the cross trainer. If I (personally) eat before weights I get tired more quickly.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    banana
  • TriNoob
    TriNoob Posts: 96 Member

Guess I should make sure not to consume food during a workout either. That would be a travesty.
  • nikkicarter13
    nikkicarter13 Posts: 231 Member
    I leave my house at 5:30AM to get to the gym at 6:15AM. I just have a coffee on my way, then eat breakfast when I get to work around 8AM. But do what works for you and track what you eat.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    I usually make sure I've had a snack before bed the night before a first-thing gym sesh, as that seems to do the trick. Otherwise, if I wake up starving, I eat a banana, half a quest bar, or have a glass of juice to tide me over.

Eating a big breakfast after the gym is usually the thing that gets me out of bed, in my gym clothes, and then into my car successfully.