worth it to exercise on top of cutting calories ?

Options
so far i have been burning about 500 calories extra per day running/walking on top of already cutting 500 calories food wise

after i exercise i eat back 400 or so of them. good approach ? i def feel a lot better and am slowly losing inches

Replies

• bekihughes
    bekihughes Posts: 59
    Options
    I was told that you should eat back half of what you burn.... But not sure if that is right.
  • JesaGrace
    JesaGrace Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    It's seems that everybody has a different opinion of this....
  • Charger440
    Charger440 Posts: 1,474 Member
    Options
    If it works for you and makes you feel good then, I would say stick with it! :)
  • heatherjm27
    heatherjm27 Posts: 10
    Options
    The health benefits of exercise are huge, so it is as important as healthy eating and cutting calories. That is why you can have skinny people who are really unhealthy. Even if it is not helping you loose weight faster, it will make you more healthy and fit. Plus, you will look better.
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    YES! Exercise isn't just about losing weight, it's about strengthening your body.
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Definitely worth it. If you've ever dieted and not exercised, you know that you'll be thin but jiggly. When you add exercise ON TOP of dieting, you'll be thin and FIRM. Exercise isn't just about burning calories, it's about getting strong (muscles, bones, tendons - heart!!) and healthy (something many dieters have a hard time wrapping their head around).

Yes... sometimes it's hard to eat back all the exercise calories, but it's worth it in the long run. Besides, who wants to settle for 1200 calories a day and not be able to allow themselves a little freedom?!? (that'll set anyone up to cheat!)
  • bigredhearts
    bigredhearts Posts: 428
    Options
    theres a few notes on this in the "general diet and weight loss help" forum section right at the top and are always there for your convenience. i suggest you read those. they explain why eating back your exercise cals is imperative to healthy weight loss, plus a few other good reads :) hope this helps!
  • Ash852
    Ash852 Posts: 10
    Options
    I am doing the same thing too. I eat 400 to 500 calories and burn 500 calories in a day. Then I eat around 500 calries back.

And I am also, slowly loosing those extra inches :)
  • jdm_taco
    jdm_taco Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I enjoy excersising and it only helps to improve my health. Plus I get to eat more. :bigsmile:
  • insanitylater
    insanitylater Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    thx for the replies! i know exercise and more food helps speed up your metabolism

i tend to eat the healthier stuff in the morning so some of the food i eat post exercise isn't always the best for me. need to make it fruit or something with protein
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    YES! Exercise isn't just about losing weight, it's about strengthening your body.

this.
    regardless of your goals, you should be excercising.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    theres a few notes on this in the "general diet and weight loss help" forum section right at the top and are always there for your convenience. i suggest you read those. they explain why eating back your exercise cals is imperative to healthy weight loss, plus a few other good reads :) hope this helps!

omfg THANK you! FINALLY someone who JUST joined who actually read the stickies and understood them. I love you.

After you're here for about a year and see the same questions 100 times a day you won't put it as politely as you did....

now I just post this:
    http://shouldieatmyexercisecalories.com
  • insanitylater
    Options
    yeah i have been aiming for at least a week of cardio since it's as good for the mind as it is for the body. last time i got down to 140 i was way too lanky looking at 5'8. i overexercised but didn't eat back enough calories

hoping to do it slow but right this time
  • robin52077
    Options
    I am doing the same thing too. I eat 400 to 500 calories and burn 500 calories in a day. Then I eat around 500 calries back.

And I am also, slowly loosing those extra inches :)

Do you mean that's ALL you eat? 400-500 calories net????

if so, you are in for some serious trouble sweetie. you need to reevaluate your goals to what MFP tells you to eat and actually EAT those calories.
  • robin52077
    Options
    yeah i have been aiming for at least a week of cardio since it's as good for the mind as it is for the body. last time i got down to 140 i was way too lanky looking at 5'8. i overexercised but didn't eat back enough calories

slower is always better. Healthier and more maintainable in the long run. And ALWAYS eat at LEAST 1200 net bare minimum. preferable more.
    7 days a week cardio is too much though, Your body needs a day of rest. try 3 cardio, 3 strength, and one off.
  • insanitylater
    Options
    that wasn't my question though

of course i eat back my exercise calories
  • bigredhearts
    Options

omfg THANK you! FINALLY someone who JUST joined who actually read the stickies and understood them. I love you.

After you're here for about a year and see the same questions 100 times a day you won't put it as politely as you did....

now I just post this:
    http://shouldieatmyexercisecalories.com

:) well i was actually reading a question similar to this and someone mentioned to read those. so i did. and i definately understood them, and i can imagine its hard to deal with the same question over and over but as you said, me being a newbie, i try to be polite :) hopefully this person chooses to read them as well, they are very informative and help tremendously explaining to newbies how this whole thing works :)
  • bigredhearts
    Options
    that wasn't my question though

of course i eat back my exercise calories

i think we all understand your question, you stated what you do and asked if it was a good approach. this is our response :)
  • insanitylater
    Options

slower is always better. Healthier and more maintainable in the long run. And ALWAYS eat at LEAST 1200 net bare minimum. preferable more.
    7 days a week cardio is too much though, Your body needs a day of rest. try 3 cardio, 3 strength, and one off.

i run 4 times a week then walk 2 to give my legs a break but still maintain some exercise. otherwise i'm just too sedentary. once a week i let myself be lazy