Healthy dessert Recipes

Options
jessakittyis
jessakittyis Posts: 159 Member
edited January 2015 in Recipes
I have a huge sweet tooth and I really like ending my day with a sweet snack and a cup of coffee but I don't want to waste tons of calories on dessert. Me and my boyfriend like to cut a pear in half and bake it with brown sugar, cinnamon, and a tiny amount of butter and each have half and this has been a very good way for me to eat dessert and not feel bad about it. It also works with bananas and apples.

I like baked fruit but I was wondering if anyone has only suggestions on "healthy" desserts that we can eat for a snack at night.

Replies

• jessakittyis
    Options
    Jeez no one likes dessert! Ok...
  • billie_867
    billie_867 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Blend peanut butter with a egg and bake , bakes like a cookie
  • jessakittyis
    Options
    billie_867 wrote: »
    Blend peanut butter with a egg and bake , bakes like a cookie

Oh really? What temp do you bake it at?
  • jaystepper4life
    Options
    My favorite is a mock vanilla ice cream put 3 freezen bananas in a food proceeser with a 1tsp of vanilla extract or so and a pinch of cinnamon and blend until smooth. ** if texture is not right add some fresh banana until you get it right rum won't hurt either lol
  • kmcgallery
    kmcgallery Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    In a pinch, how about a 1/2c of sugar free cherry pie filling with a dollop of fat free whipped topping (or whatever reduced calorie), stick a graham cracker on the side.
  • kmcgallery
    kmcgallery Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    oops.... maybe not that "healthy"
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    I make fruit "crisps." Berry crisp (one or more types of berries of your choice), apple-pear crisp, apple-cranberry crisp, etc. Spray a glass casserole dish with Pam (or equivalent) and place your choice of fruits in the bottom. Make a top "crisp" layer of oats, chopped nuts, seeds (e.g., pumpkin, sunflower, flax), coconut, and/or spices (based on your preference, e.g., cinnamon for an apple-pear crisp). Just made a tropical crisp with mango chunks, mandarin oranges, and coconut. Add a small amount of water and some fat (e.g., coconut oil, butter) to the crisp layer. Making it heavier on the fruit and lighter on the crisp layer means lower calories. Bake at 350 degrees. Time varies depending on fruits you use. You can find recipe fruit crisp recipes in many cookbooks or online recipe sites and adapt them to suit your nutritional goals and taste preferences.

I also like to make brown rice pudding with fruit. Sometimes I add nuts or seeds. Heavy on the fruit and lighter on the rice for a lower calorie, lower carb dessert. I recently made one with some light eggnog that I had leftover from the Christmas holiday. I added dried plums and raisins.

In addition, I often add a small amount of dark chocolate to various foods to make them taste like a dessert. Cottage or ricotta cheese with fruit, nuts, and/or seeds plus some dark chocolate chips satisfies me as a dessert. So does a whole grain waffle with various toppings, e.g., peanut butter (PB) and reduced sugar jelly; PB, pumpkin seeds, and dark chocolate chips; Greek yogurt, nuts or seeds, and dark chocolate chips.

• VanGleTur
    VanGleTur Posts: 1
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I see they all revolve around fruit, which I absolutely love and consider a dessert all by itself! I am a little sad that my nutritionist tells me I cannot have fruit past lunch because of the sugar content.
  • corinic91
    corinic91 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    VanGleTur wrote: »
    I see they all revolve around fruit, which I absolutely love and consider a dessert all by itself! I am a little sad that my nutritionist tells me I cannot have fruit past lunch because of the sugar content.

What was your nutritionist's reasoning for no sugar past lunch?
  • MargieReedinRR
    MargieReedinRR Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Tonight I made a Skinny Shake, and it was fabulous! Blend together 3/4 cup almond milk, 1 frozen banana, 1 tsp vanilla and 1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder. The frozen banana works as a thickener and a sweetener. If you don't have frozen bananas, you can use a fresh banana and about 10 ice cubes. Enjoy!!
  • kannanm
    kannanm Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    These sound delicious. Can't wait to taste them.
    I mash a bananna and add two car amble eggs and blend with a fork real well.
    Heat a nonstick pan add tbls coconut oil,and heat and add large spoonful to pan.
    Makes about six. Add butter and cinnamon. These are so good for breakfast. Something different
    Other than bacon and eggs