Scale

Options
savlyon
savlyon Posts: 474 Member
I have a question...
I recently purchased a scale that shows my body fat percentage along with my hydration levels. I have been weighing myself daily this week, in the morning, and I'm not sure how accurate this is.

On Sunday, my body fat was 38% and hydration level was 44%--It's supposed to be 50% for my age/gender.

Through this week my body fat has gone up while my hydration has gone down. I drink a gallon of water a day and I have worked out everyday--including strength training. This morning, my body fat said 49%!!! Seriously?! Can my body fat percentage jump 11% in 3 days (when I lost 2lbs) Also, my hydration was like 38%...after drinking 3 gallons of water in the last 3 days.

Anyone have any ideas about all this?
Thanks!

Replies

• sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    Funny to see this question as I was just doing a search on the accuracy of the scales that claim to measure body fat. I just ordered the Biggest Loser one but am wondering if I should keep it or just return it when it comes in??
  • fitniknik
    fitniknik Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    I wouldnt put much stock in the accuracy of the body fat percentage. I dont know about the hydration deal though. I think you actually have to have it professionally measured to get the right percent.
  • Sacredmaiden
    Options
    Hi there,

I'm not surprised to hear that. I stopped using mine for the fat feature because I noticed a big difference in whether I used the scale with wet feet or not. A bummer really! I thought it would help me out.

I would love to hear if anyone has an article or feature on why these things don't do what they say.
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,526 Member
    Options
    I don't think the scales are very accurate. Mine varies about 4% from day to day. As far as the hydration, I know that it affects the body fat measure, because muscle holds more water than fat (or maybe it's the other way around.).

Anyway, someday I'd love to get a REAL estimate, since I don't trust the scale.
  • jmafte
    jmafte Posts: 46
    Options
    I don't see how stepping on a scale could even get your remotely close to an accurate body fat percentage. If you have ever seen how body fat is accurately measured, you know why I say that. I would venture to say that a bodybuilder that was 6' 2" and weighed 230 pounds and was at an actual percentage of about 7 or 8 on body fat would be told they were well over 25% on that scale. There's no way it would know. It sounds about as inaccurate as a BMI calculator.
  • kadye
    kadye Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    There are calculators online that use measurements of different parts of the body to give you an idea of body fat %. I think they are more accurate than those scales. I have read that even the calipers aren't that accurate. I don't think the scales that measure body fat are accurate at all. As far as water, I don't really see how they measure it. My really scientific method is how my rings feel. If they don't go right on, I drink more water that day. That's real accurate huh?
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    I am real curious at how that scale thinks its measuring hydration levels???
    being in the veterinary medical field , knowing how we evauluate it , can see how standing
    on a scale is doing it.
  • jmafte
    jmafte Posts: 46
    Options
    Here's a good article on body fat measuring tools. http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=56830
  • breezymom81
    breezymom81 Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    There are calculators online that use measurements of different parts of the body to give you an idea of body fat %. I think they are more accurate than those scales. I have read that even the calipers aren't that accurate. I don't think the scales that measure body fat are accurate at all. As far as water, I don't really see how they measure it. My really scientific method is how my rings feel. If they don't go right on, I drink more water that day. That's real accurate huh?

I have tried these but get a 25% difference in my fat % so I don't think they are any better. I don't really care about the actual number right now, but my scale has been very consistent so I check it about once a week, as long as it goes down I am a happy camper!
  • bpsotka
    bpsotka Posts: 3
    Options
    The body fat % is VERY sensitive - if you want the most accurate results, you should step on the scale as soon as you wake up and have gone to the bathroom. Do it before eating and before walking around too much.

I have one of these scales and while it does change by a percent on a day-to-day basis, I find that as I lose weight it does go down. A few months ago it was hovering around 30%-32% depending on the day, but now it hovers around 26%-28%. So even though I'm not sure exactly how much body fat I've losed or what I am at, I know that I've gone down :)
  • savlyon
    savlyon Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Here's a good article on body fat measuring tools. http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=56830

Thank you, that was helpful.
    Apparently I shouldn't have purchased it. I'll just stick to my good ol' tape measure.