Overwhelmed. How to cook healthy for one when you're extremely busy?

Options
2»

Replies

• SconnieCat
    SconnieCat Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I absolutely loving taking weekends to "meal prep" and make freezer meals. I'll pop stuff in gallon sized ziploc bags that I can either put in the fridge to unthaw while I'm at work and cook up in a pot or a skillet, or I make things that can fit in my crockpot while I'm at work. The key is really just planning ahead and working with your time constraints. I also like to make a bit extra of everything else so I have leftovers the next day.

Soups usually freeze really well. You can make a batch and freeze in single-serve portions in Tupperware containers for whenever you want some.
  • AlyssaJoJo
    AlyssaJoJo Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    You can eat whatever you want as long as you're willing to eat it agian. We have a house hold of two so I normally eat dinner and then end up eating the same thing for lunch. I just make sure to make things I'm ok with eating over and over. Taco meat in bulk can be tacos or taco salad, soups are always a hit, roasts help bump up my protein, etc.

Also, if you want to continue eating frozen dinners go ahead! No ones eyes should be on your plate. I just suggest home cooked meals because to me they taste better and keep me fuller longer - but I do understand that they are easier/faster.
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    The crock pot is my go to for meals that I can portion out and freeze. I also love it because I can just put stuff in it and go to work and come home and yay a hot meal is waiting.
  • MagicalGiraffe
    MagicalGiraffe Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I second what was mentioned earlier, get a slow cooker. Twenty minute food preparation, 8 hours cooking whilst you get on with work etc, meal +X other portions depending your ingredient load and portion sizing, freeze.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    The crockpot is your friend :) I can make a weeks worth of meals in the crockpot and then freeze them for the work week.

I also second the weekend meal prep. It makes life very simple throughout the week.
  • RebelDiamond
    RebelDiamond Posts: 188 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    If you enjoy cooking and knowing exactly what's in your food it'll just take time and practice. You're getting heaps of great ideas on here so I won't go on too much.

I started out on those frozen meals because I wasn't sure how to cook low calorie meals. Over the past three or so years I've learnt how to make things taste good (according to my taste) and low calorie enough to lose 20kgs.

My best tip for you is this: Food prep takes a bit of time out of your day, but if your weight loss is important to you it's worth it in the long run (and cheaper than buying frozen meals).
  • Sydking
    Sydking Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Just how you cook unhealthy when your extremely busy?
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    I meal prep several times per week. Right now I am marinating four meals worth of steak, I'm about to marinade another 4 meals worth of chicken, and have 2 servings of premade chicken salad sitting in my fridge as well.

Prep when you buy. Meal prepping for several meals means less cooking over the week. I am busy with graduate school and two jobs, but I make time for it several evenings a week.

I would personally avoid freezer meals regularly; not because they are "bad", but because they are so expensive, and you could easily make what's inside of them for a fraction of the cost. The portion sizes are tiny for what you're paying, and you can easily make those recipes with your own ingredients, and get more for your macros.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Frozen meals are fine if you like them-- they can be a little high in sodium but that's it. I prefer to spend Sundays prepping meals for my lunches though just because it's tastier. I like to make a lot of soup this time of year. This week is chicken florentine soup. I get most of my ideas from Pinterest.
  • GothyFaery
    GothyFaery Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Feel free to look at my diary (I took the last 3 weeks of December off). I batch cook my lunch every Saturday and for dinner I usually have about 60 minutes to cook/eat/clean up. I've never really had a problem making it work.
  • trazter31
    trazter31 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Shrimp cocktail or quickly stir fried with a veggie is quick and easy. I also buy lean shaved steak and cook a little bit at a time to have for dinner or as a sandwich on a lowfat wrap.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Laurend224 wrote: »
    Can you do a bulk cooking day and freeze in individual portions?

I could yes. I just have no idea where to begin or what to cook.

Crock pot! Everything goes in at once, you turn the dial, and X hours later a big batch of yumminess is done.

Couldn't be simpler, and there are bazillions of recipes out there.

Good luck! :drinker:
  • jaz100_nz
    jaz100_nz Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Lunch - sandwiches, wraps, salads, soup, fruit, yogurt
    Dinner - stews and casseroles (freeze leftovers), main course salads topped with lean meat, egg, tuna, leftover chicken, shrimp, prawn, feta etc, grill a beef, pork or lamb steak, piece of fish or boneless skinless chicken breast and serve with steamed veg or salad, stir fry without the rice or noodles, jacket potato topped with beans or tuna or cottage cheese and served with a salad.
  • jane837
    jane837 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I make a lot of my solo meals out of snacky things like veggies and hummus, crackers with cheese and salami, fresh fruit, nuts, beef jerky, yogurt, etc. It works really well when I'm too tired (or too hungry) to spend 30 minutes cooking something.