Getting 10,000 steps??

Options
Queen_JessieA
Queen_JessieA Posts: 1,059 Member
edited January 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
I am trying to start getting 10,000 steps a day. I admit it is sooo hard to work out. I sit in front of a computer 35+ hours a week and my evenings are slot of times running my kids to and from activities (depending on the season). I AM joining the gym this Thursday and the kids get to work out too - so hopefully this we will be something we can do together.

I have a fitbit. I like it better than the iPhone app thing (it doesn't pick up walking in place).

Anyhow - busy people of MFP -- how do you squeeze a work out in?

A.M workouts not an option at this point.

Replies

• emmel9
    emmel9 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    When I am motivated I prefer a pedometer but I don't mind the iphone thing right up until I dropped it!

I live inner city in Melbourne and close to a lot of things so try to walk to them rather than take the car. Try to get off one bus stop before my destination, take the stairs, etc. But since I stopped working due to chronic back problem, I have struggled to find time for walking. I am doing Pilates 3 times a week which is helping enormously with my back and I walk there although not far - maybe 10 minutes each way.

The only other way that has worked for me is walking with a friend several times a week, but as am short and get shin splits regularly I have to slow her down with a back pack carrying 2 x 2L bottles of water and that helps.

When I was working I also used to go shopping at lunch time and you would be amazed how many steps that can add and be fun.

If you come up with any other good ideas, let me know!
  • Queen_JessieA
    Queen_JessieA Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Those are great tips! Thank you! I live in GA, us - not in a big city. And I work an hour from home two days a week - the other three I am at home. I have no excuse not to get out and walk at some point of my day. Not really close to much to walk to, though.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Suggestion: work out when kids at their activities. So if you take then to swim practice for example for an hour, wear your workout gear, drop them off, park the car, and walk or run at that location.
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,157 Member
    Options
    You have to be creative. It doesn't have to be long periods of walking to make the steps add up. Park in the back of the lot, take the longer way to something at work - my unit is a square and I walk whichever direction gets me to move more. My mailbox is in a group two blocks away, if I drive past it at delivery time, I park the car in a further space and walk a few extra steps. When I'm downstairs cooking dinner, I do laps back and forth in my house. You can get several hundred - I did 0.4 miles today while my chicken was grilling. I'm able to hit 10K steps most days - I don't worry about it if I'm working two 12 hr shifts in a row, sleep trumps steps lol. Today I took the day off from my outdoor walking and despite doing nothng until i got to work this evening, I ended the day with almost 6000 steps.
  • projecthotbel
    projecthotbel Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I am doing the same. I have a sedentary job and commute 1.5 hours each way, so 11 hours a day mostly seated.

I am making small changes. Go to the bathroom that is further away. Get off the bus a stop away. Park further away. Look at the all the little things you do and just try to add a few extra steps to each. They really add up.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I have an office job. Walk every chance you get - walk at lunch, take the long way to the bathroom, do laps around the room while you're waiting on the printer, when the kids are at their activities instead of sitting and waiting use that time to walk - even if it is pacing back and forth, park as far away as you can.

When I'm at work in the office I have a lot easier time getting steps than when I work at home. More opportunities to walk in the office in my opinion!
  • benee16
    benee16 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I get up and walk in place in front of the computer, or while waiting for the kids events to start or end. I walk circles from room to room in my house, up and down stairs. I just spontaneously walk in place while watching a tv show with my husband. It must look quite silly, but it add up and that's what I care about. I get out and walk, walk on a treadmill, take zumba classes also, but some days when I don't feel like going anywhere, I just wander aimlessly around my house. I even dance around while cooking or cleaning up. The good thing is that you can do it in little spurts throughout the day and it will add up.