How to find the motivation for following a diet plan?

Options
2»

Replies

• jaz100_nz
    jaz100_nz Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    The best way to stick with it is to slowly change the family to a healthy eating and lifestyle. Otherwise you achieve your goal, go back to your old ways, and put it all back on.

Adjust your cooking style of existing recipes to contain less fat, more veg, replace carbs with wholegrain versions (serve curries with brown rice, quinoa or cous cous instead of white rice etc), and choose leaner cuts of meat.

Serve yourself a smaller portion than normal.

Start a meal with a filling vegetable soup or salad to take the edge off your appetite.

Add sides of potatoes, rice etc for the rest of the family but don't eat them yourself.
  • sangeet1978
    sangeet1978 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I personally thank each and every one of you who've taken the time to share their minds here.

Each one is so sensible in their own way.

After contemplating on the topic for the last 3 days, I have boiled down to the following -
    1. Log into MFP every single day.
    2. Maintain a 1200 to 1400 calories.
    3. Follow the nutrition (to see where I need to find a balance in my diet)
    4. Try and stay close to the nutrition goals.
    5. Exercise atleast lightly for 5 days a week.
    6. Dont count back Exercise calories.

Iam working on making this commitment. Just wrote down and stuck it to the refrigerator as a way of reminding myself.

Please feel free to add ur 2 cents to this.

Thanks much. SV

• sangeet1978
    Options
    Don't do some strict plan. Cook healthy for your whole family. Let them eat bigger portions if they'd like. Don't you want hubby & child to be healthy too? Make it a family thing. Try to lighten up your favorite recipes if they are high calorie.

Sounds really like an idea! Trying to make this a family affair.
  • clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I personally thank each and every one of you who've taken the time to share their minds here.

Each one is so sensible in their own way.

After contemplating on the topic for the last 3 days, I have boiled down to the following -
    1. Log into MFP every single day.
    2. Maintain a 1200 to 1400 calories.
    3. Follow the nutrition (to see where I need to find a balance in my diet)
    4. Try and stay close to the nutrition goals.
    5. Exercise atleast lightly for 5 days a week.
    6. Dont count back Exercise calories.

Iam working on making this commitment. Just wrote down and stuck it to the refrigerator as a way of reminding myself.

Please feel free to add ur 2 cents to this.

Thanks much. SV

I think its a good plan :) I don't know your weight, height, age factors so I can't give a determination on the calorie intake .. for me it would be too low :) I eat 1600 right now with 0 exercise lol That is MY prime level... and I don't restrict anything. I just ate a red velvet cupcake with my lunch :)
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    Whittedo wrote: »
    Just a suggestion but maybe you need to examine your whole family's meal plan. If what you are cooking for your husband and son is causing you to gain weight then chances are that the family diet is affecting them as well. If they live an active lifestyle and your is a bit more sedentary add exercise during the hours when they are not home. Joining a fitness class at the local YMCA or Community Centre is a great way to make new friends who can help with the motivation.

So much this. Eating preferences and habits are built in childhood. How many people on MFP struggle with their installed "buttons" that lead them to associate calorie-dense foods with satisfaction and comfort? Time to build a love of healthy meals in your son NOW. Portion control for the whole family means that everyone gets the calories and macro and micro nutrients they need to fuel their health. Everyone's a winner.
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I would eat back 1/2 of your exercise calories. And make sure you measure/weight EVERYTHING.
  • sangeet1978
    Options
    Ok. Point noted!