gastric bypass weight gain

Options
I am 24 years old and had the gastric bypass 10/3/2011. Day of surgery I was 279. I got down to 200 by 8/2012 then I became pregnant. After giving birth 4/9/13 I breastfed and got down to 184. I've been having poor impulse control and poor exercise habits and today I am 235. If anyone has any helpful adbice/words of encouragement I'd be ever so greatful. I've tried diets and exercise, but nothing seems to work. Also I have lupus so my constant joint pain and fatigue can be quite debilitating at times.

Replies

• stephanieluvspb
    stephanieluvspb Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry about the fatigue and pain your going through but remember weight loss comes from the kitchen, health comes from the gym. While working out is wonderful you do not need to exercise to lose weight. Eat less than your body needs and you will lose weight. Log all food, weigh all food and don't give up. Good luck :D
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I don't have any specific advice for your surgery/lupus, but in my case, I didn't start losing consistently until I started logging every bite. I also focused on my successes to date. You lost the baby weight on your own and you can do it again. Focus on non-scale victories and the scale will follow.
  • mykaylis
    mykaylis Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    first, look up an anti-inflammatory diet and compare what you learn to what your bariatric doctor's recommendations say. see if you can incorporate any of those things into your lifestyle.

absolutely, no matter what, follow your bariatric doctor/nutritionist's advice. take their macronutrient and calorie goals and plug them in here, and then use MFP to record everything diligently and see what happens. once you've done that for a month, and you're not seeing results, take printouts of your daily logs and take them back to your bariatric team.
  • trinamaeluvzu
    Options
    I two had bypass then got down to 230 from 372. Back up ta 300 after 3 presences u can add me we can do this together. It's not easy mentally. I had mine six years ago and I'm manic depression so I'm here to find new ways to detour my depression other then eating food. :-)
  • bigdogmp
    bigdogmp Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I had the sleeve done in April 30th, my weight in the start of my journey was 344 after dieting before the surgery I got down to 318. I am proud to say that my weight now is at 226 and I am on the maintainer part of my diet keeping my weight is tough at times when my food intake in calories is no more than 900 so I use protein shakes to fill in the blanks but I can't get over a 1000 even with shake. I exercise 5 days a week plus running 25 min gets my heart rate up, I have stopped taking all my medicine for high blood pressure high blood sugar and sleep problems are gone thank you weight loss. my secret is I love to exercise O and I keep my sugar for the day below 20 which sometimes is hard but if you want something bad enough you work hard to get it right.
  • bigdogmp
    bigdogmp Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    if anyone has questions or needs some motivation message me you can also friend me on facebook bigdogmp.
  • LavenderLeaves
    LavenderLeaves Posts: 195 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Exercise is for fitness, not being a primary method of weight loss. Weight loss that sticks needs to be through diet change. Learn how to eat properly. Eat normally. Control your portions. This is a matter of learning to develop a normal relationship with food, which is why it's actually very common for obese people to get the surgery and then gain it back - They don't properly deal with their food issues prior to surgery. I would really suggest doing as much reading as you can about balanced diets, eating 3-5 balanced meals a day(everyone is different), trying to eat micronutrient-rich foods and trying to find out if there's emotional reasons you're turning to food. It's really easy in American food culture to be malnourished and overfed. Log ALL your food, even if you overeat. Invest in a food scale. Weigh every piece of food you eat. See where your calories are going and start getting a feel for how much you're actually eating.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/trajanAz/view/some-friends-here-asked-if-i-had-any-tips-721257
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/BooleanOperator/view/10-tips-for-noobs-720675
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10049413/the-myth-of-good-and-bad-food
  • kellycasey5
    kellycasey5 Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    You have had previous success, so you KNOW that you can weigh 184 pounds, even with lupus. It can and will happen again. What were you doing before that allowed you to reach that weight? Can you do some of that now to get you on track? Activity may be hard for you with joint pain...my doctors suggest bicycling or swimming as my two exercises that are joint friendly. Obviously do what you can, and avoid overdoing it. The lupus/ activity thing has a double edged sword and we don't want you sicker :smile:

Also, it may be time to see the dietician/nutritionist/ bariatric surgeon or whomever you see regarding your diet. When my friend (gastric bypass patient) is gaining weight, it is usually a result of a small change in her diet ( a handful of chips, sipping coke throughout the day, snacks she wasn't counting). When she sees her dietician, she tracks her intake and then they review it. Usually her dietician makes recommendations and she starts losing weight when she changes how she eats. Small changes can have huge results long term. I only say this understanding how important it is for you nutrition wise to carefully adjust your calories. Safe and maintainable is the goal!

Another obvious consideration is your medications. Steroids can be necessary (for some during flares, for others always) and weight gain with steroids is a common effect. If this is the case, please be extra kind to yourself while your body is working so hard.

It sounds like you mentioned having poor impulse control and exercise habits. I understand the exercise may be impossible, but I have seen people on this site with disabilities (different than lupus but impair physical activity) lose considerable weight through careful logging. Maybe with a small increase in activity and a bit of work watching your foods you will start losing weight again. Small changes over time could mean a world of difference 6 months to a year from now.

Good luck with your journey...I wish you success and know you have the dedication to do this! Your day of surgery you were at 270, today you are at 235. Go at it pound by pound, be in it for the long haul, you can do this :smiley:

• evamerrifield
    Options
    I had the surgery in 2007, I swear it changed my metabolism, I don't eat that much and cannot lose weight, I have gained 48 lbs back, and cannot seem to lose it, I track my food, exercise 20 minutes a day, the scale won't move, I am so upset, I didn't gain until after I had my boy......
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    mykaylis wrote: »
    first, look up an anti-inflammatory diet and compare what you learn to what your bariatric doctor's recommendations say. see if you can incorporate any of those things into your lifestyle.

absolutely, no matter what, follow your bariatric doctor/nutritionist's advice. take their macronutrient and calorie goals and plug them in here, and then use MFP to record everything diligently and see what happens. once you've done that for a month, and you're not seeing results, take printouts of your daily logs and take them back to your bariatric team.

This very much. I had to do something similar, and we started with that, then moved on to a stricter elimination diet to figure out all the things I was having issues with. Keep your doctors in the loop, no matter what. Work with them on pain management, and the rest will all be easier.

I'm another one that gained some back after a pregnancy. I've gained and lost a few times since then, but 2/3 of my initial loss has stayed gone.
  • williamsbuffie
    williamsbuffie Posts: 5 Member
    Options
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I thought it was impossible to gain with gastric surgery. I'd say try harder n dont be lazy n slack off . Keep good habits and itll pay off.

No, it's not impossible to gain weight back after gastric bypass. My sister in law did as well.

• azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options

No--it is for heart health, bone health, brain health and general well-being. Developing an active lifestyle that sticks is a perfectly acceptable way of losing weight and maintaining weight loss.

If you are not exercising frequently, you are not trying very hard.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I am at the honeymoon stage six months out from surgery. So I have no useful experience. I wish you the best to come back from this.
  • kyta32
    kyta32 Posts: 670 Member
    Options

No--it is for heart health, bone health, brain health and general well-being. Developing an active lifestyle that sticks is a perfectly acceptable way of losing weight and maintaining weight loss.

If you are not exercising frequently, you are not trying very hard.

OP is managing chronic illness and a toddler. I think she is probably trying as hard as she can. Have you ever tried to do an exercise video while a small person attempts to take you out at the hamstrings? I have.

OP - best wishes. Try to get enough protein and fiber to help you feel full while eating in a deficit. Making better food choices will help with your illnesses and set a good example for your child. Mild exercise, like taking your child on a walk to the park, is better than no exercise at all. You can probably also try dancing to a youtube playlist in your living room with child. All activities count, and being as active as you can helps with some illnesses. Your Dr. may be able to give you guidelines for what you can reasonably do.

Keep focused on your goal, and why you want to lose the weight. Your child will value having you around and as healthy as you can be :)
  • Enisejay
    Enisejay Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello
  • Mavrick_RN
    Mavrick_RN Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    You are well on your way to gaining it all back. Better figure out what you didn't learn about eating and nutrition from your bariatric doctor.

It is about control. You control your actions to set a calorie goal, weigh and measure your food and stop eating when you have met that goal.

No magic surgery. No magic pill. No magic food.

Consistency and accountability. Your body will keep score even if you don't.
  • amyk0202
    amyk0202 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    This is a very old thread. The OP posted once in December 2014. Hopefully she figured it all out. I don't think she's still watching it for responses.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    I thought it was impossible to gain with gastric surgery. I'd say try harder n dont be lazy n slack off . Keep good habits and itll pay off.

No, it's not impossible to gain weight back after gastric bypass. My sister in law did as well.

Yup, both my aunts had bypass and regained the weight, but one lost it again. WLS doesn't mean you can't gain weight, and like anything it requires a permanent change.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

True. Every person I know who's had gastric bypass (4 co-irkers) have all gained the weight back and more. Is there any type of education about food, weight gain, etc after people have this surgery?