Favourite Healthy Meals for Dinner?

KristaMM
KristaMM Posts: 8
edited September 27 in Food and Nutrition
Hi!

I always have trouble when it comes to watching my calorie intake at dinner. Any ideas for satisfying, but low cal, healthy meals?

Thanks!

Replies

• mishmash73
    mishmash73 Posts: 166 Member
    Stir-fry vegetables (Costco) with 10 huge shrimp (Costco)...
    Tortilla crusted tilapia (Costco) over Stir-Fry Vegetables
    2 Carmelized onion chicken burgers (no bun and from Costco)

if you need to 'pig' out... just load up the vege's with some soy sauce mixed w/honey, ginger, etc.
  • jennylynn84
    jennylynn84 Posts: 659
    Chicken Roll-Ups.

There is NO exact recipe for this, because possibilities are endless and depend entirely upon your taste.

First, you take a chicken breast and pound it till its flat. Fill with veggies and cheese. A couple of examples:

Italian:
    mushrooms onion, mozzarella, spinach

Greek:
    kalamatta olives, spinach, feta, sundried tomato, purple onion

Wrap the chicken around the veggies and toothpick it closed

Cover with some sort of sauce or dressing (in not-huge amounts).

Italian: low sodium marinara

Greek: greek vinaigrette

Pop the whole thing in the microwave with a lid askew on the container so some air gets out. Cook for 20 minutes at 70-percent power.

Yummy, easy and variety. Have also filled it with onions, pepper and cheddar and rubbed it with a little olive oil and mexican seasoning.
  • michelleion
    michelleion Posts: 122 Member
    One of my favs is stuffed peppers - with either couscous, quinoa or quorn if you don't have many carbs left to use for the day - I cook the filling with some courgettes and onions, add whatever spices I like, then stuff the peppers and put them in the oven for a bit to cook. They're very filling, yummy and healthy! Sometimes I have two stuffed peppers by themselves, or one stuffed pepper with a chicken breast on the side. Yum! I am also a chilli sauce freak, so always have that to dip the stuff in :D
  • lulusmom
    lulusmom Posts: 71
    Frozen organic chicken tenderloins (cover in garlic powder and pepper, broil for 7 minutes on each side)
    Green Giant simply steam asparagus cuts
    Whole wheat linguine *lightly* tossed in olive oil, garlic and sun-dried tomatos

Feel free to look through my diary. My week night dinners are easy (because I work full time and am a single mom) but super healthy (normally). :)
  • aynajane
    aynajane Posts: 14 Member
    Once or twice a week we do a crusted fish. Giant (as do most supermarkets) have bags of frozen fish,like Tilapia in their seafood section. Each bag has about 12-14 fish and its usually around $14.00.

The night before we take 2 fish out of the freezer and put in the fridge. Each fish is packaged seperately and the freezer bag is resealable.

In a large bowl, lay defrosted fish and drizzle with EVOO (extra virgin olive oil). Then generously sprinkle with lemon pepper seasoning. Let sit for about 5 minutes.

Heat oven to 350 and bake fish in a oven safe glass casserole dish for 15 minutes. We serve with some frozen broccoli or mixed vegetable. Its a delicious light dinner that ranges around 100 calories for the fish and 30-40 for the vegetables.

And if you don't like Lemon Pepper, try cajun seasoning. We switch one and off. :)
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    I hope you're ready for this....

100 calorie Flank Steak Taco's with Grilled Corn Salsa.

Directions:

--Corn Salsa--
    1 Jalapeno - seeds/ribs removed, minced.
    1/4 cup red onion, finely chopped
    2 tbsp lime juice
    2 tbsp cilantro, finely chopped
    2 ears of corn

Heat corn up in microwave for 4-5 minutes until partially tender. Put it on the grill to finish it off, ensuring it's lightly charred all over (not burned of course). Combine all the ingredients in a bowl, mix and set aside.

--Flank Steak--
    1.2 lb Flank Steak, trimmed of any visible excess fat
    Gound Cumin
    Salt and Pepper

Coat the meat with the mixed spices and grill it to your liking.

--Sour cream alternative--
    Plain greek yogurt
    2 tbsp lime juice
    salt and pepper to taste

mix it all together in a dish and set aside.

--Corn Tortilla--
    Mission yellow corn tortillas, grill or heat up on a skillet until just browned on each side.

Nutritional info per taco including 1oz of meat, a spoonful of corn salsa and a dollop of sour cream topping
    The above recipe makes 14 tacos.

109 calories
    10g protein
    12g carbs
    4g fat
    2g sugar
  • kyodi
    kyodi Posts: 376 Member
    Commenting to add to my topics. It's a good thing I ate lunch cause this thread is making me WAY HUNGRY!!!! :-)
  • lulusmom
    lulusmom Posts: 71

Those sound absolutely delcious (especially the salsa). Yum!!! Thanks for sharing.
  • JennWhit10
    JennWhit10 Posts: 32
    Bump.:)
  • KristaMM
    KristaMM Posts: 8

Yup, will be trying this very soon! Not sure why this is showing up IN the quote...still figuring out the message boards!
This discussion has been closed.