Runners - Camelbak Yes or No?

Options
emmaleigh47
emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
I am considering switchin from a fuel belt to a Camelbak for the summer running. I am concerned that I cant carry as much liquid as I need... Im a slower runner ... and I like to run distance 6-10 miles. I get dehydrated very easily because I cannot store water (I dont have a colon) .... so I am considering this.

Anyone have experiences good or bad? Is it heavier than a full fuel belt? Thanks!

Replies

• snowflakelaia
    snowflakelaia Posts: 214
    Options
    I love my camelback! besides, it's easy to drink with the tube, and putting it back into place. I use it mainly for hiking and-or snowboarding :)
  • misjes1
    misjes1 Posts: 18
    Options
    I use one (Camelbak) for distances over 5 miles. The only complaint I have with them is when you get to about half full, you can really feel it sloshing around. You can adjust the straps quite a bit to try an mitigate this though. I know there are a few different sizes to choose from in case you are concerned about the weight of it.
  • MOOOSEEE3
    MOOOSEEE3 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Funny, I was just looking at their website earlier today. I'm curious to know what everyone says as well
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I actually looked at a camelback last night for hiking/running.

seems like a good idea
  • lipt8611
    lipt8611 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I love my camelbak, but i have never been on a run with it. For me, I don't think I'd like it because I have a backpack that carries other things besides the bladder. I definitely think it would be helpful on longer, hotter runs. I'm a minimalist, though, and don't like belts, armbands, or really anything besides my running clothes.
  • girlruns
    girlruns Posts: 344
    Options
    I used to have a waist camelbak that I really liked. After awhile of not using it I found the tube was all gross and gunky. I switched to a fuel belt, but it only carries a 22oz bottle and an 8oz bottle. I think you can get a camelbak up to 72oz. If you work to keep it clean and dry it is great! Plus can be used for walks/hikes/etc.
  • tgh1914
    tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't. Not only would it slow me down, but i don't think it's necessarily good to drink a lot during a run anyway. Just drink plenty before & after. By "before" I mean throughout the regular course of the day - not gulping at the last minute.
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    For hiking, I have a "naked" camelbak type water bladder that I can put into an ordinary daysack, and it's extremely convenient. Doesn't tend to "slosh" because it collapses as it empties.

If the C25K goes well, I may look into finding a running pack that won't bounce about, so I can carry it. :)
  • kghamilton
    kghamilton Posts: 19
    Options
    I have a Nathan hydration vest. Very light and comfortable and carries up to 2 liters of fluid. My use is a little different and I wear it on trail runs of 20+ miles when I don't know where I'll get hydration next.
    For shorter runs, I generally carry a handheld (Nathan as well). Even for slower runners, it carries 20 ounces and should be enough for some of the shorter runs. Once you get to 2+ hours, you might need more. It takes abit of getting used to but once I did, I got rid of my belts.
  • AnaNotBanana
    AnaNotBanana Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I've ran with both a hydration belt and a CambelBak. I prefer the CambelBak. I don't usually go super long distances though. They make styles that are meant to hold only the bladder and not much else so they aren't bulky.

http://www.camelbak.com/Sports-Recreation/Packs/2011-Fairfax.aspx

Or if you have a pack that you like you could get a Platypus bottle with the drink tube.

http://cascadedesigns.com/platypus/water-bottles/softbottle/product
  • iowagirl09
    iowagirl09 Posts: 23
    Options
    I love my camelbak for hiking! I've never been running with it though.
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    anyone else?
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I know people love them, but I just can't see it. It seems as though it would be wickedly uncomfortable, chafe, make you hotter, etc.

For my long runs, I always choose loop routes. That way, I can drink every 3-5 miles and not have to wear a Camelback or a fuel belt.

The other way to do this is with an 'out and back' route, with a friend. One of your cars is at the start point and one at the midpoint, so you have two water stops on every route.

I always do long runs with a friend, so it works for me--loop or out and back with cars well-placed. I honestly can not imagine running with a fuel belt or Camelback. Sounds horrible to me.

If you aren't an ultra marathoner, or a serious cyclist, I just don't see the need for a fuel belt or a Camelback.
  • waterbabeAD
    waterbabeAD Posts: 73
    Options
    Yes. I use it for cycling and running. It does slosh around a bit as it empties when running and my back does get a bit sweaty, but air temps are high where I live though. However it lets me focus on my training with minimal fuss when it comes to hydration.