Type 1 diabetes and weight loss

Options
I have been a type 1 diabetic since I was 10 years old and overweight for my entire life. Approximately 10 years ago I was pretty successful in losing weight with weight watchers but have slowly gained it all back. Now I am 33 and having a really difficult time losing the weight. I have around 100 lbs to lose to get to my goal weight and its proving to be very difficult this time around. I joined a gym 2 months ago and have been working out 5 days a week since. I do cardio all 5 days and weight lifting 2 days per week. I have been eating below my minium amount of daily calories, not eating back any exercise calories and the scale is holding steady. I have a food scale and weigh my food and use measuring cups as well. I am going to my quarterly endocronologist appointment next week, and just had a lot of blood work done today but I am getting frustrated. I feel good and my blood sugar has never been better so that is motivation enough to keep going, I just wish that I would start seeing results on the scale. Any suggestions or anyone ever go through this?

Replies

• Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Perhaps, a qualified dietitian would be the answer. You may need to have your macros adjusted.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Are your clothes fitting looser?

Are you hypothyroid?

• abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. I also have a ton of issues losing weight as a T1, but I have noticed that I tend to use a lot of my calories treating hypoglycemia episodes (it seems like I exercise to burn calories, and I have to eat more calories than I burned to treat a low, even when I try to take preventative measures). I found it a lot easier to set my calorie goals to maintenance and eat at a 250-500 calorie deficit than feel guilty that I need to go over one/two days a week to treat a low.

The weight loss has been pretty slow for me. In the past year, I think I lost about 20-25 pounds, and the last ten pounds I have been working on (my weight has been plateauing at 145-150 since my classes started) will probably take almost another year to come off.
  • jamie_lee80
    jamie_lee80 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Update! I went to my endocronologist yesterday and all of my bloodwork was fabulous. Everything was in the normal ranges! Which is good but doesn't answer my question about why I am not losing weight.

Then there's this.....On Monday I made some dietary changes. I gave up grains and am starting my day out with a big healthy smoothie packed full of fruits and veggies as well as flax and chia seeds and guess what......I have already seen the scale move in the right direction! Apparently my 33 year old body loses weight quite differently than my 20 year old body did. Being a juvenile diabetic, even after 23 years is a learning curve every day. Let's hope that the positive trends continue!
  • smontgomery55
    Options
    Insulin can cause you to gain weight/maintain weight. How long have you been at this? Keep strong! I have been in the same situation as you, and I know how frustrating it can be! We have similar goals, feel free to add me if you want some extra support!
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    I too had problems with this ( 25 years ago)
    And what i noticed in your diary is a lot of salt in your food and indeed the grains

I eat grain and pasta, potato etc in moderation.
    Worked out that well that my sugar level is normal/stabilized

And nope dont take medication for years :)
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I have type 1 as well as type 2 (so I have double diabetes). I originally got type 1 in the mid-90's, and was underweight at the time. As I'm sure you remember, the treatment method for type 1 back then was to eat a static diet and take static amounts of insulin. Because that food intake was so much, I doubled my weight within a year of getting type 1 and continued to gain weight. While I was a kid then and was growing, that weight gain meant a whole lot more fat. By the time I became a teenager, I was developing type 2. I also have Hashimoto's.

For years, I believed that it was impossible to lose weight. Eventually, a year ago, I started seriously attempting to lose weight. In the first few months, I lost quickly enough that the type 2 was going away too fast and I was running low constantly. After that, I decided that I must slow down weight loss enough to not decrease my insulin resistance faster than I could keep up with rate changes. It is frustrating to lose so slowly, but I lost 19 lbs. last year... better than I can say about every year prior to that. I also have halved my daily insulin requirements. I still have a lot to lose, but I'm on my way... and it helps to have a positive attitude.

I also notice plateaus similar to what you described. After several weeks or months of no change, I'll suddenly drop several lbs. I've come to understand that non-diabetics have similar experiences with plateaus and "whooshes."
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Do you use a food scale?
  • llynn1976
    llynn1976 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm 38 and have been diabetic since I was nine, so I know how u feel. I've lost weight when I was 18 and then 24 pounds when I was 27 b4 my wedding and now I'm trying to lose @ 30. You have to just keep at it because it will come off. Also your insulin intake will go down as your dieting and exercising you won't need as much, talk with your doctor @ adjustments. You might want to look into getting a Dexcom device if you don't have one it really helps me , I went from a 8.0 A1C to a 6.6 from using it ask your doctor and good luck.
  • journey4jule
    Options
    Hello everyone! I thought I would introduce myself also. I am new on this site, but I am also struggling with T1 and trying to lose about 150lbs. I was 21 when I found out I was diabetic but many days I feel like I am just learning it. I have never had much control over it, partly because of my weight and partly because of my denial. I finally was able to start on a Tandem insulin pump about a year and a half ago. It's been awesome but not without it's bumps! Anyways, I would love to get to know people who are on the same mission I am to lose weight and become a healthier person. I would love to have some accountability partners! Feel free to message me on my profile, nice to meet you all! :)
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options
    By the way, for those of you who are type 1, there is a group on MFP: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/232-type-1-juvenile-diabetics
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options
    And what i noticed in your diary is a lot of salt in your food and indeed the grains

If you haven't taken medication (specifically insulin) for years and you are a type 1 diabetic, you have been dead for years.
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    Glad you had great news from your endo... and things are starting to move!
    In your post you said you're eating Below Maintenance... don't do that! Make sure you're mainting properly and your body will be happier.
    Here's to hoping you're on to something good now!
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options
    nancybuss wrote: »
    In your post you said you're eating Below Maintenance... don't do that! Make sure you're mainting properly and your body will be happier.

I think you are talking about @abatonfan
    When someone is trying to lose weight, they should, by definition, be eating less than maintenance. How else could they lose weight?
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options

Huh? You're a type 1 diabetic but you don't take medication? Type 1's REQUIRE insulin. If they don't take their insulin, they die…
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    oops! Thanks Midwesterner85 My brain went to below 'minimum's' vs maintenance. shesh...... slow down girl and read for comprehension :)